Phone=text and Calls ONLY?

We are considering getting our 16, 12 and 9 yo phones. The 16 yo is mentally retarded, the 12 yo is an Aspie and ADD and the 9 yo is ADHD. They don't have phones now. I'm wondering if there is a phone that can ONLY make calls and text. We don't want a camera or internet access. And ideally, not pay as you go. Anyone have any ideas?

To answer Tracyxo, my step daughter is medically diagnosed as MOMR, moderately retarded. She was considered Cerybral Palsey (sp?) which is CP and autistic and MIMR, mildly retarded. About 3 years ago CP was dropped as well as autistic and she was moved from MIMR to MOMR, which is now her "official" diagnosis. She is permanently disabled from her immunization shot when she was 16 months. An "Aspie" is someone who has Asperger's Disorder.

My son just got an inexpensive tmobile phone. It has a camera but no internet. Prepaid, unlimited texting for $15/mo. He's adding 150 minutes of phone calling for $30 prepaid good for 3 months.

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable the camera somehow....

yes there are phones out there that don't have a camera or need data packages.. You can also put ristrictions on them so the only people they can call or text are the people you put in the phone..

I think every phone has a camera however crappy some may be. So long as you don't pay for data all a phone has is phone and text.

The biggest thing I have found with my older kids and phones is make sure their friends have phones before you get them one. They lose their heads if they aren't attached unless they have a reason to be bonded to their phone, ya know friends, they will lose that as well.

Oh, if you don't have unlimited text they usually block camera texts if that is what you are worried about.

We have Verizon as a carrier.
You can get a non camera version of a Motorola Barrage.
My husband works on military bases and they don't like cameras.
(As it is it sounds like some bases will ban cell phones altogether since they are becoming smart little computers that are too big of a security risk.)
At any rate, it's a basic phone (no data plan), you can order it with no camera and it's waterproof!
It's a pretty rugged phone - my husband puts his through a lot.
He texts well with it but I don't like it myself because I like a qwerty keyboard.

LG Cosmos 2 has a nice slide out keyboard and it has a camera.
It's still a basic phone that needs no data plan.
I guess you could always super glue something over the camera lens and it would be effectively disabled.

I don't believe you will find a phone without a camera. Honestly, I don't think those exist. However, you CAN get one without the internet. I have one. It's the cheapo phone that comes with a plan. There is an option to use the internet, but I don't buy the media plan. I tried it one day after i bought it to make sure.It really didn't connect to the internet.

check out the pay-as-you-go-phones at target or wherever. They are very cheap and basic. They won't have internet access unless you purchase it. And you might be able to turn off the other stuff.

The Firefly may be your best bet.

Most phone company's are phasing out 'traditional' phones. In the not to distant future the only phone option will be smart phones. Having said that most phones don't have to have internet. Just don't buy a data package and only get standard service with texting.

As for a camera, not sure why you don't want them to have one, but it may be possible to have find a really cheap phone in the pay as you go area. A lot of those phones can be used as regular phone. They aren't restricted to pay as you go only.

My 11 year old has ADHD and ODD, and we got her a phone when she turned 11 last year and entered middle school. She has a limited number of minutes and a limited number of texts. Her phone does have a camera, but it's very basic. We got it added to our Verizon plan. It's a great little phone and easy to use.

My 9 year old has been asking for a phone because big sister has one, but I told her that she has to be 11 years old and in middle school first. She has Autism, but isn't an Aspie. She's great with technology but mainly loves cell phones for the games on them. She would never call or text anyone, the little goober.

My 7 year old doesn't care yet, but she'll get a phone at the same time that my eldest did.

It's when there are more after school activities and they do more with friends where I'm not around and there aren't phones readily available to them. I try not to hover but with a special needs daughter I sometimes can't help it, but I do want them to have a measure of personal responsibility and not feel smothered.

P.S. For the person shocked about the usage of the phrase mentally retarded... I wonder why it shocks you. It's a legitimate medical diagnosis and when it's used appropriately it's not an insult or an epithet. And Aspie is a term of endearment for someone who has Asperger's Disorder, which is a form of Autism. In fact, many autistics who have Asperger's refer to themselves as Aspies.

Go to Wal-Mart and look at their selection. They have pay-as-you go.

Also check out Radio Shack. I'm NOT sure if they have PAYG but never hurts to ask.

My husband has an OLD phone - no camera - it's an LG.....try ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prepaid-Samsung-Cell-Phone-/23082...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SGH-T219-Cell-Phone-Tmobi...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Nextel-i530-cell-Phone-P...

this is my husband's phone:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-VX3200-Verizon-Cell-Phone-FAIR...

1 / 3