Phlegm

Hi Moms,

My toddler is always coughing every week, he is off two days and back coughing again the rest of the five days. He has a lot of phlegm. Any advice on how to get it out? He takes allergy meds , but that hasn't helped. Any home remedies?
any help would be appreciated? Also, has anyone noticed when there child drinks milk they develop a cough?

My daughter had the same problem, since kids that age can not cough out the plegm it is very hard to clear it up. So I gave her Homepathic medicine, which also does not have any side effect and it dries out the plegm. My dad is a homepathic doctor and we grew up on it. Do some research online and see if you can find a Dr, clinic or a pharmacy that sells Homepathic medicine. Hope this helps.

M.-

First of all our digestive systems are not meant to digest milk and dairy products. We lack specific enzymes and that is why so many people have problems. Milk and milk products are mucus producing--that is why he is having problems. You will notice that once you cut dairy out-he most likely will not need his allergy meds. Cows milk is made for baby cow consumption, not people.

Second do not feed him soy. It is terrible for human consumption with the exception of edemame or miso. No tofu either--these products are processed. Soy mimics female hormones in the body and causes migraines, early on-set puberty, cancers. etc...

Rice or almond milk is the best bet. Personally I would choose organic rice milk.

You also want to get him on a really good probiotic--this will help tremndously!! If you need help with any more of this info let me know.

Detox Coach

YES!!!! Dairy definately produces phlegm. My dd and I are getting over a nasty cough and we are both off dairy completely. Also, Vicks Vapo Rub on my throat helps me get through the night w/o hacking and I put on dd's feet and cover with socks b4 bed. I've also put a thick binder under the head of her her crib mattress to help the mucus drain more comfortably at night and I have a cool mist humidifier going all night. This all helps to make them more comfy.
If you go to a health food store you can find all kinds of wonderful stuff to help alleviate symptoms and to help get through this bout faster.
**Traditional Medicinals makes some teas just for kids that don't taste bad but have herbs that help them get better faster and soothe a soar throat.
**There is also something called Sambucare that is an herbal, berry flavored syrup that helps them get better faster and can be used in winter to prevent getting sick. **Also, there is a line of herbal remedies just for babies and kids out there called Herbs for Kids by Sunny Mavor. Here is a link to some info: http://www.herbsforkids.com/product_categorys.asp

By the way, it's important to understand the difference between a milk sensativity, a milk allergy and the fact that all dairy is phlegm producing in general. You can also get a probiotic powder for infants and kids at the health food store that is tasteless and can be mixed into juice or foods. Keep it refidgerated!

HOpe that helps! Blessings!

I am allergic to all diary products, experiment and see if you see a difference by taking him off milk. You may see a difference- the other point - if he is allergic to milk, he may also be allergic to diary products. It is easy enough to take him off the milk for a week, it is finding a replacement for the diary benefits.
And - i know that if he is young enough, the Doctors do not
like to test for allergies.
Good luck!!!

Yes, my children had the same problem. I switched their milk to rice milk or soy and we also used Lactaid. I tried to give them less milk in the evening before bed. Your son may be allergic to cows milk. My kids also developed many ear infections because they always had this phlem that wouldn't go away.

I haven't tried this, but I heard it was good, and it couldn't hurt......rub some vics vapo rub on the bottom of his feet, then put socks on......

Giving him Mucinex would loosen it up. OR if you had a nebulizer, that would help a lot.

Home remedies - steam.

Hello, I dont know if anyone else has mentioned this but when my children has chest colds I give them the musinuz (sp) for kids. It always clears up the cough. Also dont give him milk when he has a cough. Give him plenty of water. Good Luck M..

Milk is a phlegm producing product. It is recommended that when they have a cold or cough with phlegm to sometimes stay away from milk. As far as the cough after drinking milk, there could be an allergy issue. Milk is a very common allergen. Try and give up the milk for a week or so, substitute with yogurt or other dairy and drink water, juice. See what happens with the cough.

1 / 3