Period While Still Breastfeeding?

I am still nursing my 91/2 month old son. So I was very surprised when I started my period yesterday. I am still nursing 4-5 times a day so I was wondering if this is normal? With my other 2 I didn't start having periods until a month or so after I completly stopped breastfeeding.

I'm a mother of 3 and breasfed all my kids. Each time I got my period sooner and sooner. With my first it was around 5 months. With my second 3 months and then my 3rd only like 2 months! Very frustrating.

H.

I exclusively breastfed both of my children. I got pregnant with my 2nd when my son was 5 months old. So much for the "if you're breastfeeding you can't get pregnant" rumor! TOTALLY FALSE. I never had a period, but I'm guessing I would have around the 5 month mark if I hadn't conceived, because I obviously ovulated. Most of my friends who breastfed got periods back between 4-7 months after birth, so you actually are pretty lucky to make it as long as you did!

My period returned around 6 months with my first and 4 with my second. So, yep, you're normal, I guess. I'm glad to hear you are still breastfeeding at 9 1/2 months. Good job and keep it up.

H.

I believe this is normal. As like every pregnancy/birth/child that's different so is the breastfeeding experience with that child. However, if you have any more questions seek advice from your local La Leche League. They are wonderful and positive support with lots of information!! Here's the link http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html
Good Luck!!

K.,

I nursed my dd until she was 14 months old and got my period when she was about 10 months. She had no other fluids other than breastmilk or water until she was 12 months and I still started my cycle. I pumped twice a day while at work and actually nursed her maybe 3-4 times each day.

It sounds to me like things are pretty normal with you...

It's normal. Your breast milk changes in content over the several months to a year that you nurse so your body is probably sending off hormones that is telling it to prepare for weening and ovulation. I did the same thing with my children. Good luck and protect yourself from pregnancy unless that is what you want because you're probably ovulating again.

I got mine two days after all the post-partum bleeding stopped, and I was breastfeeding exclusively. It is definitely normal!

I've had one already myself. My daughter is 12 weeks old and I had a period for 7 days when she was 6 weeks and then started again for another full 7 days just after it tapered off. So for 2 weeks straight I had 2 periods and then nothing since. Not sure if it will come back again or wait until I'm done breastfeeding (between 9-12 months is the plan).

1 / 3