Period While Breastfeeding?

I have been exclusivley breastfeeding my 3month old baby p.j. Since day one and was told that while breastfeeding i shouldnt get my period, but i have been expierencing pre menstrual symptoms, like i use to get before my period would come, for example: cramping on either ovarie, bloating, and discharge, but no period, could my body be getting ready to start menstrauting agian?

Probably. I hate to say it. It is the one thing that i looked foward to when i was breastfeeding but i got my period when James was 5 months old and i was still exclusivly breast feeding. So get out the tampons and wait.
A.

Like the others said your period can return at any time. I too get pre-menstral symptoms all the time without an actual period. I have had one period since my daughter was born (7.5 mo) and it started on April 1. My body's own personal april fools day joke. :P
Until you get regular periods you should plan on taking a pregnancy test every 6-8 weeks just to be safe. And continue to use birthcontrol. My grandmother and her older sister were born less than 10 months appart and b/c of the way their birthdays landed were in the same grade together in school.

Your period can return anytime while nursing. Everybody is different, but I know people who resume their normal cycle within a couple of months, and others who go without for over a year. It isn't even consistent from child to child. With both my kids who were exclusively breastfed, I returned to normal after about 8 months with my son and about 6 months with my daughter. A lot of women start up again after they introduce solids, since nursing frequency tends to go down a bit at that time, but not unheard of for your period to resume this early. That's why they tell you that nursing is not a form of birth control, since ovulation could return at any time.

Yup. I was soooo bummed, but even though I was exclusively breastfeeding, with both of my daughters, I got my period again almost immediately after giving birth! So yeah, it happens. =(

M.,
I did not have a period for the 15 months I nursed my last child, I did however have the signs that one was coming.
I kept thinking that it was going to, and finally gave up.
I was glad when it did not. You can however get pregnant.
My aunt has two kids 11 months apart because she was told you can't get pregnant while you are nursing. WRONG!!!!
W.

It is very possible to get your cycle while you're breastfeeding. I, too, am exclusively breastfeeding and got my cycle back 3 weeks after delivering. Oh, and please don't believe the doctors when they tell you that you can't get pregnant while breastfeeding... that's a lie too.

My sister-in-law exclusively breastfed and got her period at 2 months and 3 months with her two girls, though I never got one until I stopped breastfeeding my boys, 2 years later. I think it's just different for different people.

1 / 3