Period During Annual Exam

For the past 2 yrs I've gotten my annual exam while on my period (bad timing, I know!). When I apologized, I was assured by my dr and her office staff that it was absolutley NO big deal and would not affect my test results at all. However, my sister's annual exam was the other day and she called to tell them she was on her period and they cancelled her app. My other sister says her dr's office does the same thing. ??? Does anyone know if it DOES make a differnece? I'm considering getting mine done again this year while I'm not on my period just to be safe. What do you moms think? Thanks!

My doc is female. The period doesn't gross her out but she does need to see in case something looks different. She has seen the same view on me for the past 5 years. Seeing it all healthy makes her(and me) feel better.

H.,

I thought that it had something to do with your breast exam. Aren't you NOT suppose to do self exams during your period because of the swelling and whatnot? If it works into your schedule to change your appointment, then I would go ahead and do it.

Regardless of what anyone says, or what the real answer is, peace of mind always prevails. If your have your period, reschedule your appointment. This way you will know for sure that the results are accurate. I have always had the exam when I do not have my period, just to be sure.

I don't think it affects the results much if at all, it's more a matter of the 'gross factor' for the doctor...it's best to call and reschedule..............

I have always been asked to reschedule. My doctor told me it was because it can interfere with getting accurate results for the pap. I don't remember if it was because of the blood or because it dilutes the sample, but it was something like that. I think it is similar in reason as to why they don't want you to have had sex for 48 hours prior to a pap or immediately following your period (like the next day)

I have called a few times when I realized I would have my period during my exam and they said they wanted me to reschedule, so I did. I dont know if it really matters or not. I would do it not during your period, but that is my preference.

Many Dr's prefer not to be in that area when you have your period. I was told it doesn't make a difference. I prefer them not be be in that area while on mine either.

I don't think doing the test during your period would have any affect on the results; however, I do think it just makes it messier. I've rescheduled a time or two for this very reason. I tend to have heavier periods. If yours is light then it probably doesn't matter.

I wouldn't worry about it at all - whatever makes you most comfortable!

1 / 3