Period After C-section?

Hello! Its been 2 months since I had my little bambino by c-section. I havent gotten a period yet. I was only able to breastfeed for a month. I know you usually dont get periods while breastfeeding but its been a month since I stopped. I had my first child vaginally and started my period one month from the day I had her. I was wondering if its different when you have a c-section? I did bleed off and on for like 3 weeks after my c-setion. Is this normal because its making me a little nervous that its not here yet???

I just started today! Ugh I dont know why I missed it!! I guess I was just worried about the Irish twin thing ha ha!

Molly,
Sometimes when you breastfeed it suppresses the body's hormones so you don't have a period. I know you said you only breastfed for a month but sometimes it takes a month or two for you hormones to be normal after you stop breastfeeding.

molly, it sounds about right from what i remember - i actually remember thinking, man they must have cleaned it out REAL GOOD in there! i didn't have any bleeding at all for a couple months, i didn't bleed right after like you did. just relax and enjoy it. ps, if you get a chance, drop me a line, i'm just curious whether you thought vaginal or c-section was easier. i had a breeze with my c-section and if i ever got pregnant again i would be kind of scared to do vaginal. thanks! congrats on your lil bambino!

I'm not sure about the C-section, I had all 3 of mine vaginally, but while I started the first 2 times at 6 weeks post partum that was not the case the last time. I actually had to start the pill to start my cycle at 16 WEEKS!!!!! I was assured everything was normal and it was,as evrything else, different each time. I wouldn't worry - hormones are a strange thing :)

Same thing happened with me. I actually thought maybe I was pregnant again! YIKES! But it does come back eventually. Best of luck with your new baby!

It's perfectly normal to have bleeding after birth, whether surgical or vaginal. I had one of each, and both times I bled for maybe 6 weeks before it had tapered to nothing. I actually haven't stopped breastfeeding since the first birth, so I couldn't speak to your experience, but I didn't have periods until 13 and 14 months, respectively. The first time they were regular when they came back, this time not so much. You probably don't have anything to worry about, but I've done pg tests sometimes just to reassure myself.

Good morning, Molly! It was about a month after I stopped breastfeeding before I got my first period. I did have a vaginal delivery, though!

Congrats on your newest addition!
Yeah, periods can go haywire after a delivery, whether vaginal or C-section and can be different after each delivery. I know I was freaked out when I got my cycle back for 2 normal cycles then NOTHING for about 2 months. I just felt like the PMS queen. I think I used 5 HPTs thinking I somehow got pregnant again!!! (We'd be talking something along the lines of "immaculate conception" at that point if it was + LOL)
So, if you think there's a chance of another "surprise", go ahead and test, but chances are it's just your body trying to figure out what to do with those hormones again!

I had my daughter via c-section and had my first period 5 months later. I breast-fed my daughter until she ws 13 months old.

I have had 2 c-sections and they were both different. I breastfed both but my periods came back before I stopped nursing both times. That hole no cycle while you are breastfeed thing is a common myth. It happens for some women but not all. With both of them it took a couple of months. It all has to do with your hormone levels. Sometimes they go back to normal right away and sometimes it takes a while for your body to figure things out. It really is nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you are doing. You never know when it will come back so if you don't want to get pregnant again right away, make sure you are still taking precautions.

1 / 3