Percocet While Pregnant?

Hi mommas! So I am currently about 15weeks with baby #2 and have been having a lot of localized cramping on the left side... I went in to the dr yesterday becasue the area became tender to touch and the dr (not my norm) said that she believes that the fairly large cyst that they saw on my first ultrasound is the culprit of the pain and she said that she wants me to go back for another...waiting on KAiser to schedule... in the meantime she said that to control the pain she wants me to take percocet... she told me that it will be perfectly safe for a shortterm fix to the sever pain I have been dealing with. Just one problem... I really dont feel comfortable taking it. I mean I am the girl that has given up all kinds of foods and beverages to ensure that I have the safest, healthiest pregnancy possible, and I just dont know what to do. That is where you lovely ladies come into play... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all soo much! The responses where wonderful, and really cemented that I know what I am comfortable with, and to trust in myself. I have done some more research, and have decided that only if the pain continues to worsen to the point of debilitating I will take 1/2... however until that point comes I am going to tough it out and just keep alternating heat and ice... Thanks again for all of the support!

It depends on how long you have to wait. I had a kidney stone that passed three weeks before my daughter was born. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days and had to take demerol for the first day. It was well worth the trade off, believe you me.

If you can still walk around, do the things you want to do and sleep easily, don't take the perocet. If you have trouble doing those things, take the perocet, but don't drive. Some people have terrible reactions to that drug, so take care when you take it.

Well, like most of the other responses, I had massive pain with my second pregnancy. I was going to school full-time and I just got out for winter break. Well, I started getting horrible gallstones (which I was told was very common in pregnant women, for some reason) and I couldn't even lay still in bed without writhing in pain. I was in the hospital, all but five days, during my "vacation." During that time I was on morphine and percocet to control the pain. This saved my sanity and I was thankful for some relief from the pain. The doctors didn't want to remove my gallbladder, but they eventually did a small surgery to relieve the pain. But, being on the drugs for a month out of the pregnancy didn't harm my little guy. I agree with all the scientific talk and can vouch that it's true. I am a biology major and I've done my own research on pregnancy and stress. The pain (even if it isn't debilitating) is causing stress on your baby. If you need some relief now and then to keep yourself calm and comfortable, then I say you should go for it.

C. - When I was pregnant with my second I cut the tip of my finger off! OUCH! The doctors were not able to put that piece back on, so my middle finger is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than it's supposed to be.
I was given percocet as well as some drugs to make sure it didn't get infected. I also was a bit hesitant about taking the drug but was in CRAZY pain so decided, after talking to a phamacist, that I was going to take the drug.
My son is as healthy as an ox, a smart, mischevious little boy, and none of the drugs I had to take in the beginning of my pregnancy affected him.
PS. I wasn't sure if I trusted the ER doc's when they told me I could take that medication, so I made sure to talk to a pharmacist. Mine had a HUGE book of all the medications and what the affects were for pregnancy's and mixing drugs, ect. You could always ask them if you are not sure. I took my "drugs" 4 years ago, and you never know if the rules have changed, so I would probably just check to make sure.

It is safe to take percocet during pregnancy. The two components of the drug are acetaminophen (tylenol) and oxycodone (opioid). Opioids are not mutagenic or teratogenic, meaning they don't cause changes at the cellular level or as a baby is growing in the womb. The one time you need to be conerned with taking opioids during pregnancy is if you are on them chronically at the time of delivery. If that is the case, the baby would be born with some dependence and would need to be weaned off the opioid to prevent withdrawal symptoms.
More concerning at this point would be uncontrolled pain. This causes vasoconstriction leading to decreased blood flow through the placenta, and can decrease the oxygen levels of the baby. This can do more long-term harm to the baby than a short-term course of opioids.
Just for a clarification of a couple statements made earlier: Tylenol #3 and percocet are not the same drug. T#3 has codiene in it as opposed to oxycodone. Of all the opioids, codiene is the most constipating and is not as potent oxycodone.
Also, the drugs that are being mentioned are opioids, they bind to the opioid receptors in the body and are either derived from an opioid or made synthetically. Narcotic is a legal term and has a negative connotation associated with it. For people requiring opioid-therapy to manage pain, the incorrect use of the term narcotic can leave a stigma that prevents them from adequately managing their pain. There was a small thread of this already being woven into these responses.

Hi C.
It's okay to take it moderation Im sure the doc stated how many is allowed a day for your babies saftey... if your tense and in pain thats not good for the baby.. and what you have is so very painful..
good luck

Well, percoset is a category C drug - meaning there isn't real evidence about whether or not it can cause problems for a developing fetus. It seems like the biggest concerns are that it can be addictive, and may cause withdrawal symptoms in a new born. I'm guess your short term dosing minimizes the risk of addiction, and thats why your doc. thinks it is okay.

FWIW, i take a category C drug while pregnant because it treats asthma, and the consideration is that breathing outweighs the possibility of danger to the fetus. So, does your pain management outweigh the possibility of danger to the fetus?? Does it is you take into account that physical and mental stress in the mom has also been shown to cause lower birth weights and possible gestation problems?

Seems like your other option is to take teylenol at your maximum dose and deal with residual pain. Or take the percoset minimally and well spaced, and deal with the residual pain. Good luck!

DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN!!!! On the lable it states it can cause birth defects! Tylenol and Tylenol derivatives are ok to take. Percocet is (according to my doctor anyways) a tylenol derivative. And I was told to take it after having a broken tooth removed while I was pregnant. And My son is fine.

With my first baby I got severe migraines late first trimester and into my second. My OB prescribed Tylenol 3 (basically the same as percocet) and I still had a healthy baby boy a few months later. Its when you are addicted to pain killers that cause problems, a few here and there for pain won't hurt.

1 / 3