People Who Don't Cover Their Mouth When They Sneeze

Hi Moms, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't cover their mouth when they sneeze. That's just gross! My assistant at work does this. She sneezes 5 to 6 times a day and does not cover her mouth. Ewwww! It makes me feel like I am breathing in all the germs she just sneezed out. Is there a polite way to ask someone to cover their mouth without offending them? As a person, I adore her but this is starting to really gross me out! Thanks in advance.

You're just going to have to come right out with it, I agree with Abbie. And since you have to play mommy to her anyway, ask her to sneeze into her arm, instead of using her hands to cover her mouth. Yuck.

I'd say (in private) "Assistant, I am a bit of a germaphobe. Would you please humor me and cover your mouth when you sneeze and cough? Thanks so much!"

Have your boss send out a flier about remembering to cover our coughs and sneezes as a courtesy to others in the office. They can add something about the weather and how we all want to stay healthy so just a reminder.

That way you dont feel awkward asking but also that everyone else gets the memo.

I sneeze into the inside of my elbow. That way my hands aren't full of sneeze germs. I taught my kids to do that too.

How about you buy a can of Lysol and spray it around when your assistant sneezes. When she looks at you funny, tell her that since she doesn't cover when she sneezes, you have to do something to keep from getting her germs! Laugh when you say it, and the next time you sneeze, sneeze into your sleeve and tell her that you don't want to sneeze in your hand so that you don't give her your germs by touching stuff.

Hope this helps!

Can you tell her your child just learned a cool way to sneeze? Tell her to cough into her elbow and sneeze there. That it is the safest way to ensure that others don't get sick or get her germs. GL

M

My mother does this too and it drives me batty. I've told her and told her and I don't care about being polite. She insists that she can't feel it coming on.

I don't get it. I actually pinch my nose so tight, nothing comes out. I don't care if it's healthy or not. I run to wash my hands immediately and it's never bothered me. Sometimes my ears pop LOL

I believe the correct way to sneeze without spreading germs is to sneeze into your elbow which is what I do. Ewwwww is right. Don't know how you would ask her without offending her. Maybe buy her a pretty box of tissues and say - I notice you sneeze a lot - maybe you're allergic to work? I thought you might appreciate a box of tissues so you can cover your nose - it's cold and flu season.

She's your assistant. Next time she does it, make a 'gross' face/ eyeroll and use the sarcastically funny voice and say, "EEEWWW! Thanks for that. I needed your snot germs today. I love you, but next time, cover your mouth with your elbow so you don't spread germs please!"

I mean really, this isn't like body odor or halitosis (where the condition is not that person's fault). I don't think telling someone to cover their mouth when they sneeze should be offensive to anyone. She may be embarrassed at first (not offended) but you and everyone else will be happier in the long run.

1 / 3