Pelvic Pain During Third Trimester

I am currently pregnant with my second child and I am in the final stretch with about 10 weeks to go. Over the last few weeks i have been having significant pain associated with the pelvic muscles. I expected to start feeling uncomfortable, especially after a long day but this is different. I am having moderate to severe pain when I am lying down in one position for longer than about 5 minutes. It gets worse the longer I lie in one position and I am unable to move or change positions without wincing or gasping. The pain goes away after I begin to move around but the first 20 minutes after I get out of bed are horrible and on top of that the pain in my sciatic nerve has started acting up as well. My doctor assures me that everything is normal as far as the baby goes and has offered a few suggestions including soaking in a bath, using a heating pad, and sleeping with a pillow between my legs but nothing seems to be helping. I hate to think that I may continue to go through the for the remainder of the pregnancy and I'm just glad that the pain goes away after I get up and start moving around. I was wondering if other moms-to-be have experienced the same thing and what if anything you have done to help relieve the pain.

Wow! I never thought I'd receive such an overwhelming number of responses in such a short period of time. i really appreciate all the advice and suggestions from all the Moms out there and i have plenty of things to try out. I have an appointment on Wednesday for a pregnancy massage and if that doesn't help I'll see what recommendations my doctor has for a chiropractor. Thank You Again to everyone that responded.

I had terrible pains in my groin my last trimester with my second baby. After my almost 10 lb. baby was born I realized all that weight was causing the pain. Maybe you just have a big baby on the way. Could you take some Tylenol to help with the pain? Good luck and congratulations!

I saw a chiropractor and wore a support garment made of various elastics that cost about $70. If I had it to do over again, I'd double up on the chiropractor and buy a belly belt.

It sounds to me like the pain you are getting is due to your pelvic ligaments loosening up in preparation for the birthing process. This in a normal, if annoying problem, common during the third trimester. There are techniques that a trained pre-natal massage therapist should know that could go a long way to helping ease this discomfort and also the sciatic nerve pain.
By the way, if you live anywhere near Euless, I am a trained pre-natal massage therapist who could help you with this problem. My phone number is: ###-###-#### if you want to discuss this further.

it sounds like you may be one of the "lucky" ones that gets to feel your pubic bone separating(it's called pubic something blah blah blah - i can't remember). from everything i've heard(mostly from my OB), there's really nothing you can do but manage the symptoms - which are pain and pressure. baths, find a comfy position(if you can), more/less walking(whatever helps YOU), has your OB okayed tylenol? if it is that pubic thing, it's probably gonna get worse :( hate to tell you that. i'm 38 weeks tomorrow, and there are days i want to DIE - my OB offered to induce me with a mature amnio last week, but i'm trying to hang on until my scheduled induction this coming friday. i really hope you get some relief SOON!

Hey A.!
I am so sorry to hear about your pain. It is a good thing babies are so worth all we go through during pregnancy! I had the same kind of pain throughout my pregnancy. I remember trying to put pants on and literally couldn't lift my leg because it hurt so bad. I asked my doctor what to do and she said unfortunately it is just because the baby is sitting so low. There wasn't much that helped me except for sleeping with two pillows between my legs. Sorry I am not much help but I thought I would let you know that it is normal.

Almost 6 years later and I still remember what you are going through.

The only way I could sleep was very propped up in bed (several pillows behind my head) and a couple behind my knees or in the recliner. I also had to make sure that the chairs that I sat in were very very padded. It didn't take long to realize I could no longer sit on the edge of the tub and shave my legs and what chairs at my office worked for me and what didn't.

I hate to tell you but it will probably be a trial and error thing for you to find out what works best for you.

I am going through the same thing. The Nesting Place suggested that I get on all fours (hands and knees, so attractive huh!) It takes a few minutes to start feeling relief, but it does eventually help.

I would recommend looking up pregnancy-safe stretches. My third baby has been carrying much differently than the first two and I have pains I don't remember having with the others. I have also been having to deal with sciatic nerve problems off and on this pregnancy. When I keep up with stretching, a lot of the pains are better. There is one specific stretch I would recommend for your sciatic nerve (which for me affected me lying down and for several minutes after standing up). Sit in a chair and cross your leg ankle to knee, like a man sits. Lean forward to stretch the back of your leg and bottom. Do this several times a day. It will take a good 4-5 days to start getting sciatic nerve relief, but that stretch has been my life saver this pregnancy. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!

I had the exact same thing!! Except I forgot what it was called...my doctor said it was something and I forget what he said as that was almost 3 years ago. I remember it was awful! And yes, I'm sorry to say that it will NOT go away during your pregnancy. But the minute the epideral and all the pain meds wore off, it was gone. I was worried about it never going away but don't worry, once you have the baby it will go away.

Hi A.!

I would definitely recommend going to a Chiropractor! I am a Chiropractor and I have treated a tremendous number of pregnant women over the years. There is definitely no reason to suffer through your pregnancy when it can be a time you cherish and enjoy. Our bodies have amazing abilities to accomodate for pregnancy. However, if we put to much stress on our bodies by poor posture, wearing the wrong shoes, sleeping incorrectly, and by doing more than we should, our bodies need a bit of assistance. I have helped pregnant women with low back pain, pain between the shoulders, sciatic nerve pain, rib pain, neck pain, etc. I believe that pregnancy should be a time you enjoy! Chiropractic care helped me to enjoy my pregnancy! If you have any questions or would like more information please don't hesitate to call me at ###-###-#### or visit my website at sullivanchiropractic.com. Thanks!
Dr. Sandra S.

1 / 3