Peeing Through Pullups

My son is 16-months old, and weighs almost 26 pounds. He has been wearing Huggies-brand overnight pullups at night for a little over two months. We usually use cloth diapers during the day, unless we are going to be out of the house for several hours and then we put him in Huggie's Naturals or Earth's Best disposables. My son pees so much at night that he has needed the heavier overnight-style disposables since he was probably about 8 months old so that he wouldn't pee out and wake up in the middle of the night. We are not potty-training him yet - he's in pullups because he's so tired and fussy after his nighttime bath that getting him to lie still to put a diaper on him was a nightly battle with him thrashing around and both of us cross and exhausted by the end of it. The pullups have been wonderful - so easy, no more battles, we just slip them on after his bath!

The problem is that, for the last three nights, my son has been peeing through his overnight pullups. It isn't an aim-thing or something like that - the diapers are completely saturated in the middle of the night. Normally, we would go up a diaper size when something like this happens, but he is wearing the pullups for 16-36 pounds, and the next size up is MUCH too big for him. Do I have to go back to standard night-time disposables? Would that even solve the problem? Does anyone have another solution?

Well, I haven't found a permanent solution yet. For now, my husband and I have gone back to fighting the nightly battle and putting our son in regular night-time diapers. I'm keeping my eyes open for diaper doublers that will fit in pullups, but in the meantime, I'm done changing sheets in the middle of the night for a while! Thank you to everyone for your advice! If the diaper wars become overwhelming again, I will try out some of the other ideas here. Thanks again!

Pull ups are really more for when he is training, like the other post mentioned. It sounds like he really does still need diapers.

I had a friend who used poise pads (for adult incontinence) in the front of the diaper for her son. Maybe worth a try?

Pull ups aren't meant to be "diapers". They are protection for when you potty train. You would probably be better off using regular diapers.

My son has always been big for his age and at 4 still wears Goodnights at night--he is in the smallest size which is 35-65 lbs.. We switched from the overnight pull-ups as soon as he was big enough (about 30 lbs and between 2 and 2.5 for him). The pullups are much less absorbent than the diapers and we ended up with him wearing the nighttime pull ups in the daytime and Goodnights at night. The Goodnights are very absorbent as they are made for older, bigger children who still wet at night. He had to wear pullups at 2.5 because the largest size diapers were too small. He was not potty trained until after 3.5. Overnight diapers have a good absorbency but if you want to use the pullups at night you need a Diaper Doubler or something similar (I used the leftover huge maxis from the hospital when I ran out of Diaper Doublers).

I don't know whether there are any other products specifically targeted to this problem, but I would experiment with adding absorbency. Tucking a folded diaper or washcloth into his pull-up? Sticking in a high-absorbency maxi pad in the front? I doubt that there will be a cheap fix if you use modern gel-based products, but you might find something that works well enough to be worth some extra expense.

As your son approaches readiness for potty-training in another year or so, he may well do less of his peeing during his sleep. Until then, I hope you find a workable solution.

My son would do that. And in our exp. the overnight pullups have the BEST absorption rate. As in they hold the most. At the time I think they were called "Goodnites". Yeah... and swimming in pee, with a diaper the size of a basketball (how is that even physically possible???) by 2am.

What we did was just to change him right before going to bed at night. If his diaper wasn't wet yet, we'd wake him up enough to "go potty".... he'd pee... we'd switch 'em out.

I had this problem with my son and the only thing I found to work was restricting fluids after dinner and cutting back on his milk before bed.

It has helped a lot and is still well hydrated throughout the day

My son is 3 and still wears a regular diaper at night He wore pull-ups for naps and trips up until a few weeks a go. Pull-ups just don't hold as much.

1 / 3