Pediatrician or Family Doctor?

I am a first time mom due in July and my husband and I are trying to figure out whether to use a family doctor or pediatrician. Any advice? What are the pros and cons? Thanks!

Dear A.,

please see a pediatrician i think you would be more comfortable....
i was seeing my family doctor when my daughter was born and i knew something was wrong with lher and my doctoer told me there wasn't so i went to a pediatrician and he ended up giving her 3 months of therapy because she had tortacolis which was when a baby can only look one way and this was my first child to and i was very nervous and scared.... C. ps. any questions email me at ____@____.com

Hi A., Pediatricians are great but if you have a family Dr. that you know and trust then go with him/her. Best wishes,
Grandma Mary

Use a pediatrician because he specializes in the area of infants and children. His knowledge will be a little broader.

PEDIATRICIAN!!! its hard enough with a new baby since in practices, pediatricians actually see way more children than little babies on a daily basis, but a family doctor is even less. its no different than any other doctor-a family doctor knows how to deliver a baby but wouldnt you choose to have an ob/gynb do it. you want someone who knows all about baby and kid topics, not someone that has to divide thier knowledge among all ages.
pediatricians are trained to be looking for certain developmental milestones at each visit. lack of certain things could be signs of problems, even things like autism. you want someone who is fully knowledgable of these things. on a side note, i would also recommend not going to a much older doctor. i have heard many say their "old school" doctor says (blank). now im not saying they arent good doctors, but from the (blanks) like feeding solids at very young ages at 2 months, or feed the baby cereal in the bottle to make them sleep at 3 months, or not paying attention to milestones and missing an obvious case of autism, making it sound healthier to feed a baby formula... these were 3 different old doctors, and it seems i often hear these older doctors saying things that all the studies show to be incorrect, or completely disregarding studies as they are too set in thier ways. many are out of touch with the newest information out there. younger doctors have continuing education requirements, and are usually more open to the new data out there.
also, keep in mind the entire staff and office itself will be more kid friendly going to a pediatrician, they will have more patience.
and dont worry, when your child gets older, if he decides he doesnt want to go to the pedi anymore, then you can have him go somewhere else then.
if you dont have anyone in mind, pick a few close to your home, and who have priviledges at the hospital you would chose your son to go to if he was ill. then schedule a meeting to ask any questions and get an overall feel. good luck.

A.-

Congratulations! Being a mom is the most wonderful experience in the entire world, so get ready (-: I highly recommend a pediatrician. Firstly, they respond to calls and questions 24/7 and they do it quickly. Also, they are familiar with what is going on with other kids (viruses, flus, etc). Secondly, there are many immunizations during the early years and a family doctor may need to order them special for you. Lastly, a good pediatrician will be calm and willing to listen to any and all questions (you are likely to have many with a first baby). While some family doctors are like that, I find pediatricians to be the most patient. Best of luck!

Hey A.,
CONGRATS!! Motherhood is such an awesome thing!! I would definately go with the pediatrician. I feel they have much more knowledge with kids...My cousin actually uses her family doctor for her 3 year old and just recently had such a hard time with them diagnosing her daughter's tonsillitis...poor kid had a fever of 105.9 for 10 days and because her strep test came back negative the doc wouldnt give her an antibiotic...her tonsils were so swollen they were touching...and still no antibiotic....until she insisted and even then he was aprehensive....I strongly feel the pedi is the way to go....much more kid friendly too!!
Meg :)

Dear A.,

Grandma Mary

When my first daughter was born I used a pediatrician who then sold her practice to medical group that was a family practice. I used the family practice for about 9 yrs until I went back to work and got new insurance. At that point I put the kids with a pediatrician and man what a difference in care.

I think the biggest difference is that you get an appointment the same day for a sick kid. You may have to wait an hour but they see you asap. Family practice it was always a day or two unless they thought it was urgent and while I understand that a 4 yr old with an ear infection wasn't urgent to them it certainly was to me.

Also there is coverage night and day with a pediatrician. Several times my kids were sick on the weekend and the family practice just wasn't there on weekends.

I am a mom of 3 girls and i have always went to a family doctor.. the doctor we go to was my doctor as a kid and i used to work for him. I like it alot... there has been a couple occasions where he wasnt sure but he sent me to the pediatrician down the road. personally i didnt like them... i think it may be just your own preference but i have not had a problem with going to a family doctor. one real good reason why i like the family doctor is he is the doctor for my whole family and he knows all of our history which i think is an advantage because chances are a pediatrician wouldnt know all of that unless they all went to them as a kid.. once you reach a certain age you would have to change doctors because pediatricians only take kids to 18 or something. If you go to a family doctor you would never have to change if you didnt want to. so that is my thought. hope this helps. good luck with your new baby.

1 / 3