Pediatrician at Birth

I'm a bit confused about how to go about getting a pediatrician. Do I need to have one at the birth of my son, for the first shots, to get him circumsized before I'm discharged, etc. or is it typical to do that all after you leave? I'm so confused. I know there's a pediatric floor full of capable pediatricians at the hospital, so can they do the honors until I find one of my own?? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request! Your advice/suggestions were so helpful--I have 5 prenatal interviews set-up this week and am super excited to find a pediatrician for my little man. Thank you again for all of your wonderful help!

It's important to get started in finding one. Some pediatricians have a wait-list or are not taking new patients. I agree it's good interview doctors and ask friends and neighbors (people you trust) about their experiences with their pediatricians and some good recommendations so you know where to start.

Hi - if you are having a hospital birth there are resident pediatricians that take care of everything necessary while the baby is in the hospital. You should also choose your pediatrician before hand so that when you need him/her you will already know where to go for future help.
As far as shots go - I highly recommend that you do a lot of research on this before you subject your tiny baby's bloodstream to foreign matter. If you decide that you do want your baby vaccinated - there is no rush to do it fresh out of the womb.
If you are also opting for your baby to be circumsized, I believe there is a specific time period that is optimum - and that is not the day or day after they are born. I would research that one too. I didn't know any better and my little guy was circumsized the day after he was born and it was very traumatic . . . .
You have time to check out the home birthing option. I know it may sound crazy - it did to me the first time I heard about it. I had 4 hospital births in 4 different states, but, after meeting my midwife, I've never looked back. I have since had 4 home births - as far as care and safety and everything else the home births just have blown away all my hospital births. If you are in the Colorado Springs area - check out BirthMatters!

Yes you need to choose a pediatritian now, I reccomend calling the hospitals and asking the nurses! Your pediatritian will come to the hospital for your baby's first check up, this is routine for them! So you need to find the right one for you and your family and the hospital will contact them for you when the baby is delivered. You could also ask your OB for a referral. The OB will perform the circumsision. I would reccomend finding a pediatritian that is close to your home, you go alot for the first year! Good luck to you!

My OB encouraged me to find my pediatrician prior to delivering so that I could start out working witht he person I intend to be a key person in my baby's life. I went and interviewed, adn had one picked out... but then it turns out I didn't like him after all so I ended up switching Peds several times before I found someone I really liked. If at all possible try to interview several and find one with whom you are very comfortable and feel you can ask any "dumb" question in the world and not feel inappropriate. Otherwise, the hospital will have an on-call Pediatrician to assist with the baby right after the birth, then you'll need to find someone for after you leave the hospital... which might be really stressful if you're exhausted, or if there's anything of concern (my daughter was jaundiced and I was freaking out!). I suggest finding one before you go to the hospital so you don't put that task on yourself after you deliver.

you should meet with a pediatrician before you give birth. I moved here from california in November and was 35 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I enlisted the help of my realtor and one of my husbands co workers and found a pediatrician that I am extremely happy with- much better than the one in CA! I delivered at Lutheran in December and a pediatrician from Childrens did my sons circumcision in the hosptial, because my pediatrician doesnt do hospital visits. Most pediatricians do " meet the doctor" meetings where you meet with them for 15 minutes or so and they tell you a little bit about their practice and you can ask any questions you like. Your son will not get his first round of immunizations until he is 8 weeks old so you will have some time before you really need to worry about it, except for the fact that you will be so pre occupied with your son, it will be the last thing on your mind. Most doctors will want to see the baby 2-3 days after discharge and then again at two weeks. I would recommend finding a pediatrician before the baby comes. Dont be afraid to ask people for who they use- word of mouth is great! I use Arvada Peds in Broomfield and are very happy!

Good luck......Motherhood is the most rewarding thing you can ever experience!

You don't have to have when at birth, there are always pediatricians staffed in maternity, in some cases the obgyn delivering the child has a preexisting relationship with a ped. office.

Its always good to look around for one, check with your family and friends. Also if you go to a Family Practice they should already have one on staff.

Check with your docter at your next appointment. NEVER be weary, there is no such thing as too many questions ... especially concerning your child.

When we had our kids, we just took the pediatrician on call. We live in a different town than where our kids were born. When our son was born we were given the option to circumsize him the day after he was born or wait and take him to a ped. when we got home. We asked the ped. and our family Dr. and they both said it is somewhat better to do it right away and get it over with. So, we elected to have the ped. on call do the circumcision. Although it is hard on them no matter where or when you do it, I was just happy to get it over with and not have to take him in a week later and traumatize him any further. We had different peds. for all three of our kids and were happy with all of them. They're perfectly capable and generally you're in and out of the hospital so fast anyway, they don't really do all that much. Good luck!!

I totally second the suggestion to visit with La Leche League moms at a meeting before Baby comes for resources and suggestions if you're looking for referrals and plan to breastfeed. All their services are free, the meetings are informal and the moms I've met their are typically really thoughtful and deliberate in the decisions they make on behalf of their families. They usually have a while library full of books and CDs they will loan to anyone for free. It's quite a community resource; you can find a local group at www.llli.org.
It's nice to have a pediatrician chosen ahead of time so you can interview him/her, or know s/he comes highly recommended by like-minded friends and know you have someone already chosen if you have problems or questions right away. It's not a bad idea to work with a pediatrician at the hospital, but personally, I've always liked knowing I had a relationship with someone I trusted before the baby came.
You do not have to have a son circumcised before you leave the hospital. In fact, you do not have to have it done at all. I think it's important to read lots of information before you consent to surgery on someone else's behalf. My kids' (two sons) pediatrician does not perform circumcision, since he says removing healthy tissue for a cultural, cosmetic reason violates the Hippocratic oath ("first do no harm") to him and does not make sense to him as a surgery. His own sons are intact, as are my own and the sons of many friends and doctors I know. There is a lot of research that shows it can interfere with breastfeeding (babies in pain tend to withdraw) and that it does not improve hygiene, as has been thought in the past. Actually, Orthodox Jews and Americans are the only people in the world who do it, and the numbers are dropping rapidly among Americans who question it as a painful and unnecessary tradition. Circumcision in America started as a way to reduce masturbation, which I think is kind of funny. Even the American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommends routine infant circumcision. I know Jews wait for eight days before performing it, and medical research supports waiting for baby to be stable out of the womb for awhile before inflicting any risky trauma so blood-clotting factors and breastfeeding are well established. There's lots more info out there; I found the articles at www.mothering.com to be the most informative. Just something to think about.
Enjoy your little man!

1 / 3