Ped or Not?

We traveled to NYC last weekend, and I think my son (almost 5) picked up a minor cold. He's a little congested, and has a cough that seems to be mostly -really only - in the morning. No fever or runny nose or anything. Yesterday we woke up a little earlier than usual, and had a fun morning. Went to one of those indoor bounce places for a few hours. Came home and had some dinner. He had a bout of diarrhea, but was said he didn't feel sick. He acted tired a bit later, snuggled with me on the couch and fell asleep around 5pm. I took him upstairs around 8pm, woke up at 4, and fell back asleep till 7. He seems fine this morning, playful, etc. He just still has the morning cough. I'm thinking he just had a bug and slept it out, but don't want to be "underprotective" instead of overprotective.

What do you mamas think?

No fever, slight cough... I would not beat myself up over going to a bounce place... that is no big deal. Now if he had a fever and was contagious, then you already know not to go to a bounce place. He may be adjusting to the weather due to allergies.

Did he eat anything at the bounce place that could have upset his tummy? Also if he has sinus drainage, etc he could have diarrhea.

I would watch him and not call the pedi unless he started running a fever.

I think people run their kids to the doc for the slightest things and those kids get medicated for no reason, when their bodies would fight it off within the same amount of time. Medicating their kids, makes the parents feel like they are being proactive.

My oldest is 9 and I have 3 other children. None of them have had antibiotics ever. That's not to say they've never been sick, but sleep, water, good nutrition and no sugar - and especially no dairy when they have a cough (it increases mucus production) is very important.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for meds, but we just don't let our kids get to that point.

No Ped. If he was dehydrated from excessive diarrhea then yes or if he was listless with a high fever for days then yes. No to the cold. Save your money and the Peds time.

No, I don't think you need to make a call to the pediatrician at this time. He only had diarrhea one time and coughs can last for weeks. If he should develop a fever in the next day or so, then call.

My ped always said that if they have a mild fever, then cold symptoms it's probably just a cold. If they have the cold symptoms first, then a fever develops it's more likely to be an ear infection of something of that nature.

Just stay around the house today. Give him lots of fluids and encourage him to rest.

Even if your little one only has a cough, please don't take the to bounce or activity places. Their lungs needs to rest and heavy activity does not allow for them to recover as fast. Get a humidifier for sleeping with and some Benadryl for night time to open him up. Keep Tylenol in the house for bouts of fever and Gatorade for dehydration. Make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids.

If the cough last longer than a week, you may need to take him into the dr. There is an upper repiratory infection (highly contagious) going around in our area right now. My daughter had it 2 weeks ago and it settled in her ears. So we were on antibiotics for 10 days.

Look for fever, more diarrhea, ear pain, or wet (congestive) cough that lasts for more than a week. Good luck!

Sounds gross, but if he's coughing and doesn't "spit" out what comes up, that can cause diarrhea. If you start hearing wheezing or a "barking" sound in the cough or it just seems to last forever, develops other symptoms, etc., then I'd call the ped, but I don't know that I would necessarily yet. However, you're the mommy so if you would feel better calling, go ahead. No harm done to be told nothing is wrong and if he has developed something else, you'll know. Hope he feels better soon!

For now, no ped -- and I'm someone who truly believes in going to the doctor when there's any doubt whatsoever. The one troubling thing is the single bout of diarrhea. Was it truly runny, I-can't-control-it diarrhea or maybe just a very loose poop? If he really had diarrhea he likely would have had more than one bout already.

However, stomach viruses can be very strange and I know my own child has had viruses where she would vomit once, not vomit for 20 hours then vomit again - and the doc confirmed that some viruses do act that way and don't cause constant vomiting or ongoing diarrhea. So if he really did have diarrhea, I'd keep him home from any activities around other kids for a least 24 more hours; he could have another bout if it's the kind of virus that behaves that way.

The nororvirus is racing around like wildfire in our region right now, and though your son's symptoms don't sound like that at all, his resistance may be low due to the cold, so I would keep him out of play places for several days. My friend's son had a cold and was low and draggy and ended up with a separate bout of norovirus that was much worse on him, the pediatrician said, becaus the cold had made him weaker.

If your son has a second round of diarrhea or starts the vomiting/diarrhea routine I would phone the doctor first and see if they want him to come in.

Sounds like the stomach flu everybody has been sharing lately.

Fluids and rest. Get the videos out.

1 / 3