Pebble-like poop...whats Wrong?

My two year old daughter has pebble like bowel movements. Aside from being hard to clean, I am sure it can't be comfortable for her. She struggled as an infant and really strained whenever she would go potty. Her Dr. gave me a liquid that softened them up a little but since she stopped taking it, its back to being dry again. I switched to lactose free and soy milk over the last 2 years and noticed no change. I shouldnt have to give her stool softener forever just to keep her comfortable...right? Any suggestions?

My 3 yr old has this same problem sometimes even not going for a couple of days then it's really hard. I have found that if I give my daughter a handful of blueberries every day then she not only goes each day but her poop is softer and she has a better bowl movement then just pebbles. If you daughter likes bluberries and not allergic to them then you might give this a try and see if it works for you too. Hope this helps, good luck!

Try giving here more water and more green vegetables.. Everything on this earth needs water to work. (hard or soft).

do you think she is dehydrated. Did you try Prune juice? Gripe water can also help. It is available at Walgreens

Water, and fruits are great! Fiber without water will actually constipate, so be sure she is hydrated.

My children ate healthy and still had some challenges.

My 11 year old had this when he was a toddler. My family started taking a multi-vitamin called Reliv. It comes in powder form and I mix it in milk for a shake. He had instant change with his bowels. And now, if he's constipated, I ask him if he's had his Reliv shake lately (since he makes them himself now). Sure enough, this is just what he needs!
My 6 year old had some other "butt" problems as a young toddler, and I started him on Reliv right away. The pediatrician was even amazed! Because they were talking surgery, and other crazy stuff that I just wouldn't go for. He doesn't have ANY of these "butt" problems now and the only thing I gave him was Reliv vitamin shakes.

The "Reliv Kids Now" comes in vanilla or chocolate. The Reliv for adults comes in Classic (plain flavor) or Now (vanilla flavor). Check out www.reliv.com. We became distributors after our results, but you can order through anyone.

Take care!

Mom of 4: 18 yr girl, 11 yr boy, 6 yr boy, baby due in Oct.

Any number of things can cause constipation in a young child. When I talk to parents in my practice, my first stop is always to make sure the child is getting enough liquid during the day. Also, I would look out for any refined foods in the diet--things like white bread, white rice, sugary foods, etc. They can be binding, as can bananas and apple sauce. More fruits and veggies are always good.

One thing that can really help is a simple fruit compote. Simmer a few prunes and dried apricots in a little bit of water till they are very soft. Then let them cool till they are ready to eat. it's a sweet treat to the child as well as a very gentle, fiber-based laxative.

You might try just paying attention to what she eats and see if anything causes it more than others. She might be especially sensitive to something. If you can figure out what it is and eliminate it, it might help.

E. Bender, NC, CHN
www.nutritionforthewholefamily.com

A., I didn't have time to read your responses to see if someone already suggested this, so sorry if it is a repeat. My 8 month old has had trouble since he started food. I have added ground flax to 1-2 of his meals everyday. This keeps him fairly regular. Without it he too is constipated and has hard bowls. Hope this helps. I get it at Costco and it is orgainic. It is on the cereal aisle. Good luck.
Stac

A. my daughter has the same problem and she is 19 months and still has it I noticed if I give her alot of fruit since she asks constantly for more and I give her 1 cup of juice instead of diluting it well help a little

It's not only increasing her diet with natural fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables, but getting her to drink more liquids in general should also help. Being well hydrated helps with the bowel movements too.

Try steamed yams (the red kind). My nephew had the same problem and my sister started to give him steamed yams as a dessert with one meal and he was able to have normal bowel movements. You can either steam them in a double boiler until soft and then just cool and take the skin off and with a spoon scoop out the inside. Try a couple of spoons at first and increase depending on bowel movements. They taste great and your child should have no problem eating it. Also, if you wish you can make them in the oven put oven at 350 degrees, wash and wrap them each in aluminum foil bake until soft. They will make their own syrup naturally. Do not add sugar.

The only thing that worked for both my kids is adding Dark Karo syrup to the formula, juice, water etc. It really really works but it does need to be warmed up just a tad if you are putting it in water or juice so it will mix together with other contents. There is no real set amount but I started w/ 1-2 table spoons and adjusted it if needed. Both my kids had a bowel movement within a few hours of drinking it but keep in mind that she may still have hard pebble poop for 1-2 days but the DARK KARO syrup really does work and I SWEAR by it!!! You only need to add it 1-2 a day (more if needed) and you will see a huge change. Good luck. And it has to be the "DARK" karo syrup the others don't work.

1 / 3