14 answers

Peanut Butter Reaction?

My son just ate peanut butter, he turns 1 in 4 days, so my husband gave him the crust from a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. He said by the time he got hime out of the high chair he had hives on his tummy and chest so he gave him benadryl and that made the hives go down but now I am so worried about his future regarding eatting peanuts. We have no family history, and his reaction did not effect his breathing, or cause any swelling in his face. So I was wanting to know if anyone has had this problem. We will be seeing our doctor this week for his year check up and address this then as well, but I wanted other mothers viewpoints

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

Probably a peanut allergy. My daughter also gets hives from peanuts. When she was that young she threw up anytime she ate a food with peanuts. At 4 it became hives. Allergist said only 20 percent chance of outgrowing peanut allergies.

More Answers

You do not need a family history. Not one single person in my family is allergic to peanuts, and I am deathly allergic. Food allergies can and do run in families, but they do not have to. With peanut allergy reactions, each subsequent reaction is almost always worst. My first reaction was a rash on my chest, face, and hands. I also have known wheat problems resulting in a rash at times, so we thought nothing of the peanuts. The next reaction involved a frantic ER visit. The Dr. (and then allergist) told me about reactions getting more serious each time. Mention it to your pediatrician, go to an allergist and have your son tested...before he has ANY more contact with peanuts. (Or any tree nuts. They go hand in hand, at times)

1 mom found this helpful

The first time you encounter an allergic reation it is usually mild. The subsequint reactions will be more pronounced. Keep hiim away from nuts in general until your pedi does an allergy test. But also remember the tests they give children often pick up very mild allergies and will include foods that he has never had a reaction to.

Call your pediactrician right away--even though you have an appt this week--and ask for a referral to a pediatric immunologist (or allergist) and ask for allergy testing.

You did the right thing giving him benadryl, but you need to know what exactly you're dealing with (it could've as easily been something in the bread or jelly or something else he ate).

Also, keep the benadryl on hand at all times, just in case, and if he has another reaction, and he starts to salivate or have trouble swallowing or has a swollen tongue or any trouble breathing, call 911 and tell them to send an ambulance that has epinephrine.

If your peditrician down-plays the seriousness of this, get a new doctor.

And yes, you can get allergy testing done on any child, at any age. Our son was allergy testing at 20 months (he had a very bad reaction to peanuts at 18m; our peditrician, who is up on allergies (she has 2 kids with severe allergies herself) prescribed steriods for 5 days, benadryl for 24 hours, and and Epi-pen which we have to carry everywhere. The Dr got us a referral to our area's best allergist and he was tested at 20m for peanuts & other allergies.

And for the time being, avoid anything that might have peanuts. Don't let anyone feed him anything you haven't checked, and if you can't read the original packaging, don't let him have any.

Be very careful. It sounds as though he may have an allergic reaction to peanuts. I would avoid peanuts, peanut butter, foods that contain peanuts and tree nuts until you visit the doctor. Just make sure to read all labeling. We had testing done, and my 2 year old son has a peanut allergy. I don't take any chances. The effects of these allergies are different for each individual, and no mommy wants to see their child suffer so I would just keep him away from peanuts until I know for sure.

Talk to you doc about an allergy test for nuts. Morethenlikely he had a reaction to the peanuts, might be a nut sesitvity. Talk it over with the your son's doc, and stay away from products with nuts in them till after you talk with the doc.

We didn't need allergy testing to determine that my daughter was allergic to peanuts and tree nuts- she would get a rash, or throw up after touching or ingesting..she is the only one out of 9 children to have this allergy. We have also found that she is allergic to soy- which is in everything. another daughter, older, didn't seem to have any allergies until she was 13- drank some soymilk- throat immediately started to close- daughters inhaler to the rescue- our house doesn't have any soy products- including the new soy wax candles- not willing to chance it.

Well I'd probably wait with any other peanut products until you talk to his doctor, but my ped always told me that with food allergies it's most common to have a reaction on the face right around the mouth. But, hives is usually a sign of a reaction so I'd definitely bring it up and just watch him. I wouldn't worry yet and just go with what the doc says!

That's an allergy, hon. And avoiding nuts isn't at all difficult. My son is allergic to some nuts, but we do an across the board avoidance rather than give teachers/friends the list of what he can and cannot eat. It's been really simple. :) We did soy butter as an alternative for awhile, and then discovered sunflowerbutter is actually yummier. Good luck. And I promise, this isn't the end of the world. Nuts are fair easier to avoid than carrots and bananas - trust me. ;)

Probably a peanut allergy. My daughter also gets hives from peanuts. When she was that young she threw up anytime she ate a food with peanuts. At 4 it became hives. Allergist said only 20 percent chance of outgrowing peanut allergies.

My daughter was one when my mother's friend gave her a peanut. Her face swelled.I couldn't figure it out, nothing else happen then 8 years later she was at summer camp making a bird feeder. She started wheezing and her face was swollen. She started crying because she didn't feel well. We took her to the dr and yes it's peanut allergies. So please be careful.

See the Doctor.
Don't give it to him again.
Don't have peanut products around, anymore, Just in case.
Some people, even if peanut residue is on a surface or even the smell ot it/the peanuts are in the air, they get an allergic reaction.

Luckily, it did not cause swelling in his throat... because then he would not be able to breathe.
And at that situation, an EPI pen would be needed.

My eldest had a reaction to peanut butter and to blueberries as a baby. It should be taken seriously, as subsequent reactions can be much worse. Before you panic, do know that *some* kids will outgrow a slight reaction. My house is currently full of peanut butter and surrounded by blueberry bushes from which my kids eat freely.
I did my own taste trials with my son over a decade ago, but it's definitely safer done under a doctor's supervision!!!

Same thing happened with my oldest daughter. One year old, had 2 licks of peanut butter and within 20 minutes was covered from head to toe in hives. And we were on vacation in another state.

Her next reaction was to 1/4 of a cashew. She threw up and broke out in hives. Even tho peanuts and tree nuts are different allergy categories (peanuts are a legume, not a true nut) there is a high percentage of crossover reaction.

My DD carries an epi pen with her wherever she goes. It was hard when she was little and we had to be so careful to keep her from eating the wrong thing. But she's grown now so she did survive.

The Food Allergy Network has alot of resources to help you understand how to cope with severe food allergies.

I'd bet money you're looking at a peanut allergy. My daughter (almost 3 now) had her first reaction from a pb cookie at 13 months old. Hers didn't affect her breathing (the first time), but she had hives, tons of mucus/snot, coughing and lots of swelling in her face. Our experience ended in an ER visit with blood work that conirmed the allergy. Make sure you tell the doc about this incident, and until then no peanut products at all. Also, you should know that peanuts are not actually nuts, rather legumes. A peanut allergy doesn't automatically mean a totaly nut allergy, though it is more common than not to have both. I've had plenty of experience with the peanut allergy issue and have done lots of work and investigating to learn as much as I can to make sure my daughter is safe. I have a website on my profile that explains why if you're interested :)

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.