Peanut Allergy + Preschool in Tulsa

Does anyone have a child with peanut allergy in Tulsa? I'm having Extreme difficulties finding a school that will work with me on this. My sons going to preschool in the fall and pre k next year but so far the best his current preschool will do is give him his own table. Wow thanks, isolate my son and really make him feel out of place. Anyways that situation obviously isn't working cause this year we've already had a rx with cross contamination. I don't understand what the big deal is on going peanut free, so what if ur kid can't have a pbj at school, let him have one when he gets home. Is a childs life not worth your inconvenience? I am really having trouble here! Any advice would be welcomed!!

South Tulsa Baptist Preschool is very accommodating to children with food allergies. Basically if a child has a nut allergy then they keep that class nut free. Also the University School at TU is a peanut free zone.

Wow! You people don't really care, do you?!?! What you are saying is crazy! My 3 year old is allergic to cows milk, eggs and peanuts/tree nuts. If he gets any of this he quits breathing!!! I would think that people could NOT bring a pbj to school and have it only when they are at home. Is that really too much to ask? I would GLADLY keep my kids from bringing it if it were another child and not my own. It is a childs LIFE we are talking about! My son knows he has to ask before he eats anything that me or my husband don't give him. I still worry, he will be starting school this fall and it is still very scary.
The schools here are nut free in class rooms and he won't be there for lunch. I plan on homeschooling later if I am able to.

Also...not the answer you are looking for. Unless it is a publicly funded institution they are under no obligation to accomodate a special request. Your child is going to have to isolate himself all throughout his life because of this special challenge he faces. Kids face different challenges everyday that separate them from their peers. It is only as big of a deal as we make it.

Many schools have gone to a largely peanut-free environment...you may have an easier time when he gets to public school.

Of course a child's life is not worth my kid's peanut butter sandwich...but how many days does my child, who loves peanut butter, have to go without her lunch? She isn't a particularly picky eater, but she does go through stages when she wants what she wants. I am providing her with a healthy option...not like I am giving her a Snickers full of peanuts.

Also, depending on the level of allergy...how far does it go? Do I now have to buy allergy-friendly foods that are completely nut free in the event that you child were to grab my child's? Now your challenge affects even more of my life.

I sympathize with anyone who has something added on top of the already hard task of raising a child. But your best bet is to make sure they know how to use the Epi-Pen and keep all the emergency contacts up to date.

this will not be the response your looking for. It is not the schools responsibility to be nut free. Although having said that most schools are now to the point where they ask for nut free snacks/treats. Your child is in preschool now and if he is highly allergic then you will/should have been teaching him to avoid nuts. and to ask if there are nuts in whatever he is being handed. make sure he "knows" what a nut is and what a nut could be in (pjb, cookies, cakes etc...) My grandson is 5 he is highly allergic to all tree nuts. we / and he is vigilant in asking Are there nuts in this. we do not expect anyone else to curtail their child's lunch. why would we. it is presumptuous to expect that. If your son is not vigilant in asking you need to start drilling it into him now. Sorry this is not the answer your going to want. But it is the way it will probably go for you.

S.,
While I dont have a child with severe allergies, I had gluten intolerence as a child, and I have worked in a daycare where we had several children with food allergies. I had one that was allergic to peanut, egg, and red dye. While we were able to accommodate this child(whatever class she was in at the time got served an alternate menu) it is not the norm. If the facility is not already capable of accommodating, you are asking them to pretty much change their entire menu and procedure policy to accommodate one child. As most of the preschools I know are privately run, this is not a feasible idea for them. You are asking a lot more than you can imagine. Please do not misunderstand, as your child's life is definitely important, but there are alternatives for you. Your best place to start is with the state of Oklahoma, whichever division licenses day cares. They can give you a list of preschools that may be able to accommodate your request, or already have children they accommodate. You may even have to go with a private individual who will work with his needs. Or, you can leave him where he is and just be diligent in explaining that his situation does not make him different from anyone else and they only seperate him to keep him safe while eating. Kids are more resilient than you think. My mom had to have a button pin made that said "please do not feed me, I have allergies" as I could not have anything with flour, until I was old enough to understand that I could not take any food from anyone. I don't remember much of it because it became commonplace for me. Yours is not an easy road ahead, it will take work on your part as well. I wish you the best of luck.

Honestly, I am with the previous poster, you are choosing to expose him, no one is required to go to preschool. That is a choice you are making. I love making homemade treats for my kids to share with friends. I wan't allowed to do that this year because of a peanut allergy in preschool, yes I get that it is life threatening, so no i had to make my fun snacks and leave them at home. I"m sure life is hard for you and your son finding the right things to eat at home. If it were as simple as no pbj fine, but peanuts are in so many foods. You know what my kids had for snack allll year long, fruit snacks. those thing are plain sugar and not at all filling. A suggestion would be to give the preschool a list of foods THat are allowed. And unless this school is run by jerks they aren't going to let your kid sit at a table alone. One of the teachers will take their cheese sandwich and sit with him and he will have one on one with them. Try invoking your least restristive enviroment rights as a child with special needs. I"m pretty sure that would get you want you want in a public elementary school, not sure about preschool. Now I need to ask a question. I was a aquainted with a little girl, whose parents told me she had a nut allergy, then i see Grandma feedign the girl M&M's it clearly states on the bag that they are processed in a plant that has peanuts. Why is this ok?? if an allergy is life threatening then no amount is ok right??? Or in this case was it a food sensitivity?????? I'm assuming your child has had an episode of aniphalatic shock. Are the teachers aware of what will happen if a kid brings an m&m to school and your child touches it? That might be a place to start. If they know the kid will have to go to the ER they might cooperate with you.
And how far does this go, if my kid has peanut butter toast for breakfast and doesn't wash her hands and touches the same doorknob your son does will his throat close up??? People just don't know about this stuff, unfortunately you are going to have to be an advocate for your son. That will probably mean talking to all the staff at the school, and all the parents in the class. What happens at a baseball game, can he just not go, because they sell peanuts??? See , lots of stuff people don't know about this. Where does it come from anyway???
hey, good luck. I hope you find someone else in this situation that can support you I"m sure he isn't the only one in OK, and i hope you can find a good school for your son.

Document. Go to the pediatrician or the ped allergist and get a note that says must be in a peanut free environment. Our school has a peanut free room with a huge yellow sign that reads no peanuts in this room. I have seen it go from 1st grade to 5th. ALso my daughter was in a class with a child who was severely allergic and she had an incident. It scared my daughter half to death to see her friend rushed to the hospital.
If your son is going ot a public school they have to accomodate your child with the least restrictive environment. Isolating him is more restrictive than making the room peanut free.

I don't know where in T-Town you live so I'm not sure how convenient it is for you...but St. Benedict's Preschool in Broken Arrow I know worked with a child last year that had a peanut allergy. They made his entire classroom a peanut free zone and asked rest of the school to avoid peanut products to as much as possible to cut down on cross contamination too.

Good luck with your search.

I have friends whose children go to the Montessori school in Tulsa and it is a peanut free campus. Good luck to you. I empithize with your difficult situation.

1 / 3