Paying Attention in School

My son is in third grade this year. unfortunately when his first and second grade teachers said he wasn't focusing enough, we thought he was just being a kid. Now going into the third quarter of the school year in third grade, his grades are awful and his teacher this year said the same. My husband and I are full-time students and I'm working part-time, I don't know what to do! please help!

having the same problem with 8 yr old in second grade. Had him tested for ADHD- without backup from the hubby- trying to deal without medication started giving him Omega3 every day does seem to help also talking him through the wild behavior also seems to help

From a former teacher - Is he being challenged enough?? If he's smart, the content may be boring to him. Have him tested to see if he's of high IQ, because smart kids are bored by the "dumbed down" content often found in schools nowadays.

Secondly - if not high IQ after testing, test for learning disability. things like dyslexia can be pounced on and modified if found early enough. Check his eye sight, too. Kids who cant read/see/compute/understand properly get really discouraged, so they act out. (I know parents don't like to hear this kind of stuff - but the fact of reality is there are learning disabilities)

Good luck!!

There could be MANY causes from a learning disability, vision or hearing problem, being gifted / aka bored, or being ADHD (and most adhd'ers are also gifted) are the most common "this is how life is" / not something outside causing "it".)

Get him checked out for physical problems (hearing and vision), and then an eval by a pro (including the work level... many gifted AND adhd/2e kiddos will say the work is to "hard" because it's boring and anything boring is "hard").

www.additudemag.com is a phenom adhd resource.

Wow...this was me a few years ago! My son is 11 and in the 6th grade but from the time he was in Kindergarten I had this problem! He rushed through his work, wasn't focusing, not paying attention, forgetting things, and the grades were o.k. but they could have been a lot better. Well from Kindergarten on up to about 3rd grade all I heard was "He needs to be put on medicine" I was determined NOT to do that and I figured with enough discipline he would get better. But it just got worse! I was getting calls from the teacher and having to miss work all the time to go to school. Finally I took him to his pediatrician to be evaluated. They diagnosed him with ADD and put him on the lowest dose of Concerta...and it helped. But a year later his father lost his job and his insurance and we couldn't afford the medicine that would have been $150 a month. And eventually his behavior improved ALOT haven't gotten a call from teacher in the last 2 years. His grades could improve a little but they aren't bad, he still forgets a lot, and isn't very organized....I just try to work w/ him because that alone isn't enough to put him back on medicine. I think you're son will grow out of it! I hope this helps and good luck.

When he is at home do you sit him in front of a TV or video games? Check what he focuses on at home this spills over to school. In addition, check his diet, is he getting to much carbohydrates in the early morning that give him a sugar rush?

Take some time to speak with him and let him tell you about his day in school. What is happening to him that is distracting. Gentle questioning without judgement or repercussions will help you get to the source of distraction.

Whatever you do try natural solutions, do not start a drug regiment on your child, you will paralyze him for life. Seek help but do not let them drug him into compliance. Many natural sources to channel his energy.

Contact Sunni ###-###-####

I would defnitely start with your pediatrician to discuss the concerns - some will prescribe a medication for that, some won't. Dryer Clinic in Aurora does a thorough evaluation - more than 15 minutes spent in the doctor's office which is what I have seen sometimes (I am a school social worker). Another question I would have - is he getting enough sleep? Or the right kind of sleep? That can also have an impact on school behavior. One of my friends took her son in for a sleep study and found out he was waking upwards of 20 times per hour due to his adenoids being so swollen.

Speaking as a teacher for over 20 years, he could have attention deficit disorder or ADD. The only way to find out is to have the psychologist test him. If you try to do this on your own it will cost unless you have some good insurance. Children with ADD need to be monitored and positioned in the classroom where they have minimal distractions. This is not always going to work but it will help. The phychologist sdhould be able to give you some ideas on how to help him stay focused.

Yikes, get him a tutor and fast!

Find another Mother who has a child who doesn't have the same focusing challenges. See if she will help you. You may want to consider having him evaluated for learning challenges. There may be a problem or he may be bored. No TV at home!!!! No video games!!! OUTSIDE physical activity before he sits down to do homework. It can help him use up the excess energy that all boys have.

Look, parenting isn't easy, our kids need our advocacy. It may mean that you and your husband take fewer classes and work with him more. Now I am well aware that not all parents are teachers...there are doers and there are teachers...and some can do both. Figure out what you can handle. Do his homework with him. Talk him through it. Help him to figure things out on his own and then help him.

If you can't help him please find someone who can. His entire future counts on it!

1 / 3