Party Ideas for a 5 Year Old

Hi Mama's! I'm having a Halloween Birthday Party for my son who is turning five. Any ideas for fun games or activities to keep the little gools entertained? Neat food ideas???

Make a mini haunted house, just need one dark room, where each kid can be led, one at a time, blindfolded. Have spooky music playing. Bowl full of wet cooked spagetti (no sauce) becomes a bowl full of guts, peeled grapes are eyeballs, walking up a board that is balancing on a cylindar becomes walking the plank, and then they feel like they are falling... I went to one like this when I was little and still remember it all these years later. Easy to make, can be toned down depending upon the child's fright factor.

I was just at Michael's crafts and all kinds of kids pirate party decorations are on sale. You could have the boys decorate an eye patch or hat and dress like pirates

Fun games for the party could be a good old fashioned apple bobbing. But if germs are a concern then you can hang apples from your cealing and do the bobbing from them. Another alternate is hanging donuts from string from your cealing. I have done both of these in the past when I taught pre-school. Other ideas include decorating cookies or cupcakes. Decorating a spooky house (this is just like a gengerbread house but with halloween decor) any type of relay is always a hit (who can move the plastic spiders the fastest)

Foods can include spooky carmel apples, batwiches (any time of sandwich cut into a bat shape with a cookie cutter) mummy wraps (pigs in a blanket with little faces put on with mustard)spinal cord spirals (any deli spiral just names something else. When they are stacked they sort of resemble a back bone.) Fried Gremlin Ears (these are just battered and deep fried green tortellinis) Edible fingers (these are just sandwiches cut into finger shapes with an almond sliver for the fingernail) A rat cake ( a cake decorated with a fun color and decorated with creapy plastic rats, snakes or spiders) Candy filled witches' hats ( you fill a brown ice cream cone with candy, place a cookie on the top as the brim and frost the two together and decorate as a hat.

I could go on and on! Some great sites to get ideas from is marthastewart.com or better homes and gardens site.

Have a great time and happy haunting!

I did a party for my boys at Halloween time when they turned 4 & 6. We did mkae your own "gross out" ice sundaes - i crushed up oreos & called them dirt, called caramel sauce "ear wax" strawberry syrup "blood" and choco syrup "mud". I bought every gross gummy I could find - boogers, worms, flys etc. We also did crafts I got from oriental trading with some glue and markers. Rather than dunking for apples we tied small doughnuts to strings of various lengths & they had to eat them w/ no hands. I did some twist on pin the tail with a scary poster that I made. They just have fun because they got another opportunity to wear their costumes! Enjoy!

Instead of bobbing for apples, fish for them. Tie a "small" tin bucket with a handle onto the line of a fishing pole stick. You probably have to vent the bottom of the tin bucket with holes of vents so that it won't float. Put the apples in a kiddie pool and surround it with hay bales. Have the kids stand on the hay bale to fish for the apple.

Party favors: Fill a thin plastic glove (not rubber) with kettle corn. Start by putting a candy corn (for the fingernail) in each finger. fill with popcorn, tie off with orange curling ribbon. Put a black spider ring on the middle finger.
Kettlecorn: fill pan with a lot of oil, should GENEROUSLY cover all the kernels deeply. Cook on high, removing promptly when popping slows was down or stops. Put into large bowl. Mix equal amounts of salt and sugar together, add some cinnamon, then sprinkle this over the popcorn, tossing as you sprinkle. (do not put butter- it will make it soggy). Popcorn will be good for a few days in a airproof zip baggie or glove.

Cover tootsie roll pops with tissue paper to make ghosties. Paint red and green on the very end of two pops. Then stick them all into a syrofoam oblong decorated as a graveyard. each child gets to pick a pop. Those who chose the pops with colored ends get a special prize. they all get to keep the pops.

Little gingerbread haunted houses can be made with chocolate grahm crackers, and royal icing tainted gray or black. This is a lot of prep time tho, and parents will need to help their kids.

Make your own pumpkin patch on the lawn with leaves and pumpkins- its cheaper than going to the patch. Give kids rides around the property with a wagon- maybe you can decorate it to look special.

Two 8 or 9 inch round cakes, stacked, can make a spider cake. Use yellow or white and some green food color in the batter. Hollow out the bottom layer (BEFORE YOU ASSEMBLE IT) and fill it will green , partially set jello. Put a cupcake at one end for the head. Assemble,frost it black ( dark chocolate frosting with black food color in it.) put black licorice in for legs- 4 on each side. Put two malted milk balls for eyes, and put in fangs too. I sprinkled green sugar over his back.

For food, a lot of gross looking food is fun, but it probably won't get eaten by children.It's hard enough to get them to eat regular food! I would just keep with typical foods they would eat. Chicken nuggets, pizza, fruit, etc.

You can make mini pizzas by cutting a baguette into slices, covering with cheddar cheese, and olive peices to form a jack o lantern face.

For decor, I like to use dark purple as well as orange and black. I like to hang strips of crepe paper hanging down into doorways so the kids have to walk through it.

Hi R.-
I don't have any little ones of my own yet, but with 4 nephews and some nursery duty, I have run across some fun ideas for crafts, games, and snacks.

1. Snacks:
a) chocolate dipped pretzel sticks. YOu can roll them in that fun Halloween sprinkles for cakes. You can also do a white chocolate and tint it orange, etc.
b) carrot sticks- they are orange! And the dip can be tinted green with food coloring (like ranch dressing or something)
c) cookies- use a cutter and make shapes and then frost.
d) apples- you can do caramel- or plain- plain ones can be put into a bucket of water. They will float! And it's like the old bob for apples booth, but they can just reach in and grab one. Trader Joe's has little apples, so they are kid size.
e) carrot mashed potatoes- my husband has diabetes, and this is one of the recipes- do mashed potatoes and add a couple of carrots, ground or pureed. We used a food processor. They turn bright orange!
f)gummy worm spiders- this can be a craft, too. Take a big fat marshmallow, and using frosting, stick gummy worms- or straws or gummy noodle anything- to the marshmallow. They can make a gummy web, too, and use things like m & m's to add "dust and droppings" to the web. Have them create it on a paper plate and then at the end of the party, take them home as edible art!
g) gummy worms in a bowl, gummy fingers and eyes- these can all be found at Walgreens. Kind of gross, but super fun! Gummy bugs, too.

2. Activities- kids like games! I suggest some "harvest" style games, like sack races, mini pumpkin tosses, and maybe a some kind of hunt- like an easter egg, but with pumpkins and halloween stuff.

3. Do a theme- it's halloween, but is it pirates? Is it witches, wizards, goblins, and ghouls? Whatever the theme, add christmas lights in color for fun, and have them check their "magic" at the door. They can just sign in under their halloween identity.

4. Cards- Take a photo of each child dressed up with your son as they come in the door. When your son sends out thank you's, he can include the pictures. Also, the kids can make "magnet frames" I think you can get the pieces at the craft store, and get some bits and bob at the dollar store. They can stick and decorate their Halloween Birthday frames together, and then the picture can go in it when you can get it to them. Lastly, have each child sign a card with a birthday wish- parents can help- and then collage a page with all the photos for your son with the cards. THe kids can help you get crafty and have fun during the party

One more game- do a food game- have them decorate cookies or graham cracker houses with gummy items they can take home. But I do know little ones usually have short attention spans, and just like to run around. Games like red light, green light and red rover can be themed. LIke Instead of red rover, say red rover, red rover, send your best goblin over! LIttle things for kids make a huge impact and they can have a blast.
I hope this inspires and helps you and that the party is really fun your son!
-E. M
P.S. Some of those mama's have some really great ideas- like the burger and the hot dogs! Those are going into my book of ideas!

A clown that does balloon animals is a hit and allows you to do other things while the "show" is on. Face painting would be fun too - spider webs, bats, spooky pumkins will add to the fun - a lot of the clowns do that as part of their show or if you know a teenage girl who's good at art...
My son' birthday is Oct. 26th, I think he picked the best holiday to be born near!
YOu can make creepy punch that is yummy -
Get 1 quart either lime or orange sherbert ice cream - put it in a big punch bowl and pour 7-up over the top of it - it will foam up and look really wierd and it tastes great!
Some kids are still really jumpy at age 5 so make sure your decor etc. are tame - no skeletons or scary masks etc. Stick with the cute stuff. We went to the Halloween store and my son had bad dreams from the ugly mechanical monsters.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Last year I had a small party/gathering for my son's playgroup, we played Ants in the Pants and the Cootie game, made spider hats, then ate worms in dirt. These activites added up to a little over an hour.

Hi R.,

Here are some ideas for the food we used at our daughter's Halloween party when she was in Middle School - they could either work or you can adapt them for your son's age.

Dirt Cups: 16 oz Oreos crushed
2 Cups milk and 1 pkg instant chocolate pudding
8 oz Cool Whip
Gummy worms

Make the pudding according to package directions and layer in disposable see through cups with the cool whip and the oreos with a last layer of oreos on top and a gummy worm peeking out!

Bone Fingers - Use refrigerated bread-sticks and shape into fingers. Bake and paint the ends red with frosting or food coloring.

Also you can get a great cake at any of the supermarket Bakery's if you plan in advance.

Hope you have a great party. My only is now 15 and plans a Haunted House in our driveway this year! The fun never stops when you are a Mom!!!!

Patti B

1 / 3