Party Foods for 100 People. Cheap, but Good

I am having a 40th bday party for my husband in a few weeks. 118 people (all adults) are invited. I am not requesting RSVPs, so don't know how many will show. It is a busy summer, so maybe like 60%. I need some good appetizer foods (party starts at 7pm, so not having a dinner) to serve that are good, filling, easy to make, and won't cost a fortune. Doesn't need to be fancy... party is at our house and majority of people will most likely spend most of the time in our garage/outside around the pool and deck or basement. Alot of people to be in the house at one time!!
It is a Friday night as well and I have to work until 4pm that day. so won't have all day to cook either!! Things to prepare in advance or easy to throw together or take out of a package/etc. are preferred!! but doesn't look or taste like it. :-)
Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Here is what I am doing...
20lb of pulled pork (from Sam's Club) with mini rolls and pickles and onions. Double recipe of the velveeta/sausage/rotel dip and chips. Double recipe buffalo chicken dip with chips. Meatballs and BBQ sauce. Large Veggie tray. 7 Layer Taco Dip with chips. Big assortment of chips/nuts/pub mix. Cupcakes and cookies (from Sam's Club) for dessert!

Trying not to repeat:

- You can get giant bags of chicken drummets/wings. Probably 1-200 for around $25. A couple days ahead of time defrost, soak 1/2 in teriyaki, and cook all of them in the oven on cookie sheets. The 2nd 1/2 toss with Franks Buffalo sauce. Put in big ziplocks and toss back into the freezer. Defrost day of... and put in the over for a few minutes to warm them back up. Finis.

- Big pasta salad : I like shells or orochete, some alfredo, some spinach or basil if you've got it, and some cherry tomatoes. It's something you can throw together the night before and let sit in the fridge. cost about $10-$15

- Big spinach or Caesar Salad... vegetarian... cost about $10 if you already have dressing. $15 if you don't.

- Mexican party tray. The azteca near us has a GIANT party tray for $40.

- Ditto Sushi. I can get 100-125 pieces (depending on which tray I order) for $60

A rye or pumpernickel bread bowl - tear out the inside, save the torn pieces to put around the bread bowl. In the bread bowl, put some spinach or other kind of her dip. You can also serve this with cucumbers and carrots along with the bread.

Well there is always Costco - frozen apps which are good or through the Montgomery Inn pulled pork in a crock pot with mini buns. I had Chipolte cater my husbands 40th and it was very reasonable.

I love to prepare foods and appetizers for my parties but in your situation of your hours and limited prep time....

COSTCO is great. Nice trays, etc with sandwiches, fruits, cheeses
Bring in some catered food if possible Pei Wei is good, BBQ,

I would not have a large assortment of dips. People tend to use dip too much. I personally do not serve any chips/dip combos.

Trying not to repeat:

I would make a trip to your nearest Costco/Sam's Club. We recently had a combo bday party for my hubby's 40th and baby's 1st. We didn't have that many, but I got several bags of chips and some Wholly Guacamole and a big tub of Sabra hummus. Those went over very well(especially the hummus). Cut up a couple watermelons/cantelope along with other fruits for a fruit bowl/tray. Other than that, I'd say whatever you could find at the warehouse-type store that will be in bulk. Also, anything you could put in a crockpot, or two crockpots. Nacho cheese for nachos or chicken wings after you've baked them (also something you can find in the freezer section of Costco/Sam's).
Have fun!!

*Adding this:
Chinese Restaurant: some "Crispy Gau Gee" or Crispy Won Tons... real good finger food and with the hot mustard sauce too.

Go to Costco, and pick up any kind of food/appetizer trays.
Then that way you don't have to cook everything. And Costco has bulk
amounts and pre-made foods that you just heat up.

Subway, also has party trays....

7-11 also has party trays.

Sushi shops/restaurants also has take out sushi platters.

And then you can always transfer the foods to your own serving plates/bowls to make it look more home-made.

I'd agree that you can get a lot of mileage out of costco/sams club.
People do love hummus, chips/salsa, fresh veggies/fruit (I'm skeptical of the pre-prepared trays personally).

A friend threw a 40th birthday party for her husband recently and went to Gordon Food Services, got great pulled pork. We did the same for our son's birthday party last saturday. We got 7 lbs of pulled pork from the farmer's market (we're still eating it) for ~40 people....we served it for an impromptu block party that night, and we still have at least 2 lbs left.

Costco has small dinner rolls you can cut and serve for people to make sandwiches.

Chips, frank's red hot chicken dip (can be made the day or two before and reheated when you get home).

Cake!!!!!

I think you'll be fine!

Giant sushi platter, cheap and yummy. I second the costco idea, the poppers are fun and when I was in college I worked for a very high end caterer that used the little frozen quiches at her events, people thought she made them herself. I like to put bowls of roasted almonds and cashews around during a party for people to munch. We had some people over on New Year's and my chocolate fondue was a hit. Pound cake, strawberries, bananas to dip, tasty and fun and not somethng peopel see all the time. Happy B-day to your husband, have fun!

I am telling you this is the best recipe, cheap easy and GOOD. you may have to triple or 4 x the recipe for that many people.
brown 1 tube of sausage (I use Sage flavor from Bob evans but any one will work)
After browning put in a crock pot, add 2 packages of cream cheese and 1 can of Rotel.
Serve with Scoops.
Since its in the Crockpot it will stay hot for as long as you want. Good news is you can make this DAYS before your party and just keep the food in a bowl or ziplock bag. It will take about 3 hours before the cream cheese is melted and ready to be served.

-meatballs in a crock-pot with toothpicks on the side (buy frozen meatballs. They'll stay hot all night yet you won't have to tend to them).
- queso & chips and salsa and bean dip(easy). Put queso in another crock pot (borrow your neighbors). It'll just need stirring througout the evening).
- pasta or potato salad
- deviled eggs (boil the eggs the night before to save time).
- tortilla wraps (many recipes online. Make the night before, slice & serve when you get off of work)
- buy a ham already sliced. Have mustards and fresh rolls.
- fruit salad/fruit tray
- crackers and dips (hummus, spinach dip, artichoke dip)

have fun! You could also do fruit with dipping chocolate in a miniature crock pot or electric warmer. Yumm.

1 / 3