Parent Toddler Book

Can anyone suggest a great book to help me know what to expect now and in the future with my 22 month old. I'm going to transition from working mom to nonworking mom and he won't have the day care structure anymore. I want to make sure he is developing properly and I am doing age appropriate activities with him. Thanks D. K

In graduate school (for child development) we read Emotional Life of the Toddler by Alicia F. Lieberman. Many parents and early childhood workers raved about it!

Hi D.. I love the book "Learning Early" by Dorothy Einon. It's a guide to help parents encourage and develop a child's learning skills - through age 6. It breaks things down in different areas (speech, motor skills, social skills, etc) of where kids are at by what age....obviously, it's a guide. But, I have found it helpful knowing what to expect and there are even activities and suggestions on how to foster your child through different situations. It's been a very big help at our house!

D.,

I would recommend Toddler 411. It is an excellent reference on developement and common toddler issues. It is the toddler bible! I highly recommend. Also Einstein Never Used Flashcards is an interesting read on how children develop math and reading skills.

J. G

D.,

What to Expect from Your Toddler is a good one. It is month by month specific through almost 36 months. I used it a lot.
Also, www.parentcenter.com has lots of quick resources around development, milestones, etc.

Mom to Jerimiah (6) and Samara (3)

Bright Toddler: Understand and Stimulate Your Child's Development (Paperback)

"Ages and Stages: A Parent's Guide to Normal Childhood Development" by Schaefer and DiGeronimo, "The Science of Parenting" by Margot Sunderland, and the "Love and Logic" series (there's a book for parents of preschoolers). These books help me understand my six year-old daughter better. I found them about a year ago thanks to a children's librarian. I wish I'd discovered these books sooner. . . they really would have helped during the toddler years!

Hi! I haven't read any books specifically, but I belong to babycenter.com which is a great tool. They give you month by month info on your child's development, letting you know what milestones they should be reaching along the way. There are also tons of resources on there for activities and such (and they give you plenty of recommendations along with the monthly email). Once you join (which is free!), they'll automatically send you these emails every month on your child's monthly "birthday" - they'll contain tons of info specific to your child's age. Very helpful resource.

Also, I subscribe to Parenting magazine, which I have found to be a good resource for the same types of things.

For me, it's just easier to have the info automatically arrive in my email or mailbox every month - one less thing to worry about! And it always comes along just when I need it.

Hope this helps : )

T have to 3rd the "What To Expect The Toddler Years" book. They're very good books.

I love the what to expect books. The "What to expect the toddler years" would be appropriate for your 22 month old. The book is written by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff and Sandee E. Hathway.

"Caring for Your Baby and Young Child" by the American Academy of Pediatrics was my bible when my kids were young.

BTW - nonworking mom is a misnomer--hehe. I made the transition from workforce mom to SAHM mom seven years ago and I work harder now than ever, especially now that they are older (5 & 8) and actively involved--combine my volunteer hours with my carpooling hours and they exceed what I worked when I worked downtown.

I would suggest " Caring for your Baby and Young Child.. Birth to Age 5" Steven P Shelov, MD ed-in-chief. Great for explaining not only development but illnesses as well.

there is a what to expect the toddler years book. goes till age 5 ish

the what to expect series continues into the first year and then toddler years i have found these series very informative. the parenting magazine and family fun mag. have neat ideas on activities. the babycenter.com web site has good updates and they email you as your child grows with developmental milestones. good luck.

I would recommend that small handbook "The Everything Book of Raising a Two-Year-Old" for insight into development and your changing relationship and "The Busy Toddler Book" for great activity ideas.

Toddler 411 - it's my bible (almost as great as Baby 411). It's very informative and I know several doctors who've recommended it as well because it is full of factual info. It will definitely save you at least one co-pay and also help you to realize that you are not alone when your child does something that makes you want to pull your hair out!

I would strongly suggest "Love and Logic" (I think there is one for up to age 3) or "How to behave so your Preschooler will too". Both books are excellent and once he gets into his terrible twos you will need to know creative and effective ways for handling him (trust me). It is great that you are taking the initiative to get prepared rather than wait until he is out of control. Staying home can be very challenging, but reading these books will help make it fun.