Parent Toddler Book

Can anyone suggest a great book to help me know what to expect now and in the future with my 22 month old. I'm going to transition from working mom to nonworking mom and he won't have the day care structure anymore. I want to make sure he is developing properly and I am doing age appropriate activities with him. Thanks D. K

In graduate school (for child development) we read Emotional Life of the Toddler by Alicia F. Lieberman. Many parents and early childhood workers raved about it!

Hi D.. I love the book "Learning Early" by Dorothy Einon. It's a guide to help parents encourage and develop a child's learning skills - through age 6. It breaks things down in different areas (speech, motor skills, social skills, etc) of where kids are at by what age....obviously, it's a guide. But, I have found it helpful knowing what to expect and there are even activities and suggestions on how to foster your child through different situations. It's been a very big help at our house!

D.,

I would recommend Toddler 411. It is an excellent reference on developement and common toddler issues. It is the toddler bible! I highly recommend. Also Einstein Never Used Flashcards is an interesting read on how children develop math and reading skills.

J. G

D.,

What to Expect from Your Toddler is a good one. It is month by month specific through almost 36 months. I used it a lot.
Also, www.parentcenter.com has lots of quick resources around development, milestones, etc.

Mom to Jerimiah (6) and Samara (3)

Bright Toddler: Understand and Stimulate Your Child's Development (Paperback)

"Ages and Stages: A Parent's Guide to Normal Childhood Development" by Schaefer and DiGeronimo, "The Science of Parenting" by Margot Sunderland, and the "Love and Logic" series (there's a book for parents of preschoolers). These books help me understand my six year-old daughter better. I found them about a year ago thanks to a children's librarian. I wish I'd discovered these books sooner. . . they really would have helped during the toddler years!

Hi! I haven't read any books specifically, but I belong to babycenter.com which is a great tool. They give you month by month info on your child's development, letting you know what milestones they should be reaching along the way. There are also tons of resources on there for activities and such (and they give you plenty of recommendations along with the monthly email). Once you join (which is free!), they'll automatically send you these emails every month on your child's monthly "birthday" - they'll contain tons of info specific to your child's age. Very helpful resource.

Also, I subscribe to Parenting magazine, which I have found to be a good resource for the same types of things.

For me, it's just easier to have the info automatically arrive in my email or mailbox every month - one less thing to worry about! And it always comes along just when I need it.

Hope this helps : )

T have to 3rd the "What To Expect The Toddler Years" book. They're very good books.

I love the what to expect books. The "What to expect the toddler years" would be appropriate for your 22 month old. The book is written by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff and Sandee E. Hathway.

1 / 3