Painting While Pregnant?

Is it okay to paint while pregnant? I really want to paint new babies room.

As long as you are using a water based latex paint, it is perfectly fine for you to paint the room. As far as the masks go, the white paper masks will do absolutely nothing to protect you from the fumes. Those masks are meant to filter out dust not fumes. If you want to filter out fumes you would need a cartridge style respirator. Hope this helps.

No I work in an ob/gyn office we always tell our ob paitents no painting.

I was told that it was okay as long as you did it in a well ventilated room! Congratulations on you second little one!!!!!!

D. ... I did this, big belly and all. I remember asking about it & being told it was okay. (You might want to double-check re: oil based paints) My only hazard was being on hands & knees doing the trim, but by god! I was on a mission :)

Good luck!!

I would think it was okay, just wear a mask and make sure the room is well ventilated. Take breaks often and get fresh air also.

I am pretty sure you are technically not supposed to...but... I did when I was 8 months pregnant, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of pink. It was a nightmare....anyway, it was sherman williams paint that was not very smelly and I had the windows open and fans running to airate.

I painted while I was pregnant with my first child. Just be sure to keep it well ventilated and wear a dust mask.

I painted while pregnant and was told it was okay as long as the room was well ventilated, open window, fan blowing, that sort of thing. Take care if needing to use a step ladder.

Happy painting.

D.,

It's really best if you can have someone else paint the room for you! It's best if you stay away everything TOXIC while you are pregnant. If you DO have to paint then you should open all the windows and take lots of breaks. Make sure the room is well ventilated. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

Best of luck,
H.

i painted while i was pregnant just make sure you have the windows open and a fan going if possible, but you shouldn't use the oil based paint because the fumes are very strong!!!

ABSOLUTELY A-OKAY. You really need to open the window of the room you are painting in, but other than that you are fine to paint. Good luck and happy painting!

no
my dr. told me not to even be in the same house if it was getting painted. so i left the painting to my husband and i took our son to my moms for the weekend.

they say it causes preterm babies

I wouldnt paitn while expecting because of the strong fumes. You could open a window and wear a mask, but the open window may blow dust... onto the paint. I would check with your doctor who knows you are prgnant, but I would leave the painting up to some one else. You really need to be careful of your exposure to chemicals and even cleaning products while your pregnant especially in the first trimester. I hope this helps and good luck with your pregnancy!

I was 7 months pregnant when I did the finishing touches on our baby room. My doctor said that as long it was well-ventilated(put a fan in there while working)....and suggested I wear one of those masks...it would be fine. I would definitely ask your doctor though...
Hope that helps

Wow! Lots of conflicting advice here!! I think the very best advice is to talk to your doctor. He/She is really the authority in this situation. Some doctors are definitely more conservative than others, but I would go by what your doctor says.