Painting Paneling

I have a room with paneling that I would like to paint, but I would like to somehow fill in the lines on the paneling first so that when I paint it, you can't tell that it was paneling...it will just look like regular sheetrock. Has anyone successfully done this? How did you do it?

My mom and I did it but it is a lot of work. We used I think it is called spackle and filled in each line and then we went over the rest of the wall and made it look like the wall was rough, not as easy to paint but it looked like a regular wall and we got lots of compliments on it I loved it. Good luck!!

Honestly, whatever you use to fill in the grooves will eventually fail. Also, even though the grooves will be filled in it will still look like paneling. If you use spackling it will crack after a while. The paneling is more flexible than sheetrock and the spackeling is more brittle. So it will eventually crack & fall out of the grooves. Caulk is more flexible but still shows the grooves somewhat.

So, my recommendation is to just paint it. Oh, be sure to use a few coats of primer & to clean it REALLY well before painting. It is worth the extra time & ends up costing less in the long run.

You need to coat the walls with joint compound. You buy it in big tubs at the hardware store and smooth it on with special sheetrock tools. Since you have no experience with this, you might want to hire a painter or sheetrock guy to do it. You'll either have to sand it smooth or texture it -- and that can be a big mess. I know a guy who did this exact project at my mother's house and he did a great job. Email me if you would like his number.

We have painted paneling, so you can still see the lines, and get compliments all the time! People think it's unique, I guess.

PS. Son said he would be concerned that the wall mud or sheet rock mud wouldn't hold. He said you could lightly sand the paneling, prime it and paint it the groves would still show though. Have to remove it to get rid of the grooves.Sorry I thought my way would work :(

Might be cool to paint it though and use the grooves as a contrast color stripe

Good Morning JO, Having two son's that are in or have been in construction, what comes to my mind is getting some spackling compound or Sheet Rock mud.
Use a putty knife to smooth it in the seams. Then let it dry and sand it lightly. You might need to fill in some places and re dry sand again. With sheet rock mud you can also use a damp sponge to clean it off the other paneling or smooth it out.
It should work. I will call our youngest son later to make sure and write you back.

God Bless you
K. Nana of 5

Use joint compound/"sheet rock mud" to float the wall. It is a lot of work to do a whole room of walls, but not that difficult to do and should work great! Good luck!

Hi, I haven't done this, but my Mom did something very similar years ago. She filled in the lines on the paneling (I think with spackle or something like it) to get a smooth surface and then she wallpapered over it. I'd think you could get the same effect painting as well. You could check at a painting store to see what kind of "filler" product is best for this. 'Hope this helps!

we've painted paneling, using just paint & also using primer first. With just paint, the wood does bleed thru in about a year...gives it a distressed look, but not always clean looking.

Using primer provides a much nicer, cleaner look.

& as for spackling or mudding, our decision not to use it was based on the fact that wood paneling...like all woods... expands/contracts with temp changes. Our concern was that the filler would not be stable. Just painting the paneling looked fine, & made the rooms look updated & fresh. Good Luck.

1 / 3