Painting a Chain Link Fence That Has Some Rust???

Our chain link fence is looking pretty ugly these days... it has rust in spots and we don't want to replace the whole thing. We were hoping we could just use some kind of rust-stopping paint and then paint over it with a gray/silver color so it would look better. Anyone ever done this? How? How did it look and did it last very long at all?? Any advice or words of wisdom on this would be great!!!

Hi K., go to local pain store, buy the recommended kind & color you will need for the job. Useing tarp for ground, and large piece of cardboard, have one person hold cardboard on opposite side to be painted, while the other person sprays. Move along in this fashion, until fence is painted on both sides. Best of luck, & wait for a day that is not so windy.

A couple years our church had its chainlink fence painted--it was a messy job. There is specific paint to use on it--check with a paint or hardware store.

My husband and I painted our chain link fence, when done it looked like new. What you will need is, very old clothes and shoes you wouldnt mind throwing away when done. Aluminum paint, paint rollers, brush , plastic gloves. It is easier to roll the paint on then brush in the grooves. It takes a little time , but saves a lot of money

HI K.

We painted our chain link fence about 4 years ago, and we didn't scrape any rust or buy two different paints. we went to home depot and bought paint that was specifically for fences, it was silver and also suppose to stop the rust(not sure the name but the home depot people would tell you). We used a roller and a little brush. It did get some on the grass but it grew out quick. No tarps on the ground, just makes sure you don't have to much paint on the roller so it doesn't splatter.

Good luck. It really wasn't that difficult but two people is better than one.

good luck

K., I haven't tried this but I do know that Rustoleum comes in a variety of colors. Maybe you could sand down the rust spots and spray with silver/gray rustoleum.

I bought rust-olium aluminum color spray paint. Honest, it looked new when I finished, and it was really rusted.

We used the rust spray paint. When we spayed we used a large sheet of card board on the other side so the paint didn's go all over the grass and shrubs. And make sure the wind isn't blowing.

They make paint specifically for chain link fences. You will need to scrape off the rust otherwise it will just come through and spread. THe fence looks like new whenyou are done paitning it. It doesn take a long time, plan on 2 people and a weekend for an average backyard.

1 / 3