23 answers

Pains in My Hip Flexer After Having a Baby????

Hello Everyone-

My son is now 13 months old. I have been experiencing some severe pains in my left leg at the very top where it connects to your hip/torso area. I notice these pains fairly frequently when I walk and it feels like my hip is dislocated (sounds silly but only way I know to describe it). Sometimes the pain will make me gasp and other times I just push through until it goes away or I switch positions. Anyone else had something similar to this? I just realized that this pain has only been going on since the birth of my son and it's not letting up. I'm not even sure what type of doctor to see for this.

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

Call Wright Chiropratic in Southlake
Dr. Jud Kendall can help you!
Best wishes to you!

My daughter went through this with her children and I have it frequently when I do too much standing/walking. I go see my chiropractor and he put everything back in order. I know a lot of people don;t believe in chiropractor's but I couldn't make it without mine. This is what my daughter had to do after the birth of all 3 of her children. Good Luck.

More Answers

I've read some of the responses & here is my 2 cents. I saw DO in Fort Worth who specializes in this and he wanted to do - I think it's called - polar therapy injections into the nerve - I said no thanks. Next it was a highly regarded specialist at Medical City who couldn't find anything in the exrays but suggested they do exploritory surgery and maybe shave my hip - I got out of there really quick! Physical Therapy didn't really work for me. I now see a chiropractor who helped... not all of them made a difference, however, I found Dr Crisp and Dr Kristi to help ###-###-####. If you don't see them, I would suggest you see a chiropractor who deals mostly with pregnant women - because they are the ones who will be able to help you. Best of luck - I know what you feeling.

1 mom found this helpful

I started experiencing similar pains in my right hip right at the joint when our son was about 3. I finally went my family doctor who referred me to an orthopedic doctor as the pain got to be so continual that it hurt sitting, standing, exercising, and lying down. There was no relief. The orthopedic doctor took some x-rays and found that the bursa (a fluid filled sack that cushions the joint) was inflamed. This was caused from continually carrying our son on my right hip. I went through about 3 months of physical therapy which included strengthening and stretching. Now I very seldom have pain. When I do feel a twinge, I just hit the exercises harder. Perhaps you may be experiencing the same thing. I would recommend calling your family doctor and seeing where he/she wants to start.

1 mom found this helpful


I had a sharp pain after giving birth with my first child. Turns out it was my sciatic nerve. Then while carrying the second one it would hurt more frequently because she would lay on it. I still had problems with it after my 3rd child and it would bring me to a halt or make me limp terribly because it hurt so bad. I talked to my doctor who gave me cure options (therapy, medicine, etc) if it really started to hurt. I decided to endure it since it would come and go and it finally went away after a year or so. Check with your doctor.

I had the same pain after each baby, and worst after my last child. It has gotten better over time. Felt like my leg was not connected, and I even had some occassions where it gave out from under me and I fell. I fell down a short carpeted flight of stairs once, and it messed up my ankle pretty good and made it difficult to exercise for a long time. Doctor always acted like I was crazy with no real advice. Occassionally it hurt when laying down too.

No real answers, but I did start a gentle yoga program after losing some weight, and I do believe that has helped me to stabilize my hips.

Don't know that this will help, but I had a similar experience. I saw my regular doctor and he referred me to physical therapy. I finally associated the movement I was making when I was turning to move my infant's carrier (I had the heavy plastic 3-in-1 kind)into the back seat of the car. I was pivoting on my left leg. My son is 5 now, so it's a distant memory, but I believe a nerve was being pinched and at times the pain was excruciating. The physical therapy (I only had to go twice) helped. Good luck!

My daughter went through this with her children and I have it frequently when I do too much standing/walking. I go see my chiropractor and he put everything back in order. I know a lot of people don;t believe in chiropractor's but I couldn't make it without mine. This is what my daughter had to do after the birth of all 3 of her children. Good Luck.

Call Wright Chiropratic in Southlake
Dr. Jud Kendall can help you!
Best wishes to you!

Hi Z.!

I would recommend going to a chiropractor. At the end of your pregnancy your ligaments become very loose which allows the pelvis to widen for the delivery of your child. This process is great for delivery, but it opens us to the opportunity of our bones getting out of place. After the delivery of your child, the ligaments tighten back up. If you have bones out of place at that time it will hold them in that new, unstable position. I am a chiropractor and I see it very frequently in my practice. By getting the pelvis adjusted it will give you more stability and help to eliminate the pain. If you have any questions, or would like help choosing a chiropractor in your area, email me or give me a call at ###-###-####. I have locations in Plano and Mesquite if that helps you at all. Thanks! Dr. Sandra S.

I've had that pain. My hips are a little unstable and get knocked out of alignment sometimes if I'm really active, have a fall, something like that. Childbirth can definitely do it! When it got really bad, to where I could barely walk, I finally tried chiropractic, and that did the job. I still get the hip pains a few times a year, but my chiropractor gets me back in place - until the next time I try to be younger and more flexible than I am! If you are anywhere near TI (635 and 75)I would recommend Cameron Laboret at Central Health and Wellness http://www.centralhealthandwellness.com/ (he's the one on the far right in the picture).

Hello Ms. Z. the pain that you are having is a Sciatic nerve I have had the same problem and don't know what it was till I went to the doctor I recieve a shot in my hip and I was fine but it keeps coming back and when it happeneds I just go get my shot so you might want to check it out because it is very painful. Look it up on Yahoo and see if this is what you are having.Here is a little of what the internet is saying
The sciatic nerve is the longest and largest nerve in the body measuring three-quarters of an inch in diameter. The sciatic nerve originates in the sacral plexus; a network of nerves in the low back (lumbosacral spine). The lumbosacral spine refers to the lumbar spine and the sacrum combined. The sciatic nerve and its nerve branches enable movement and feeling (motor and sensory functions) in the thigh, knee, calf, ankle, foot and toes. The sciatic nerve and the lumbosacral spine is pictured below.

Sciatic Symptoms
If the sciatic nerve is injured or becomes inflamed, it causes symptoms called sciatica. Sciatica can cause intense pain along any part of the sciatica nerve pathway - from the buttocks to the toes. If the nerve is compressed, caused by conditions such as a bulging or herniated disc or tumor (rare), symptoms may include a loss of reflexes, weakness and numbness besides severe pain. Sciatic nerve pain can make everyday activities such as walking, sitting and standing difficult.

It sounds like you may have some sciatic nerve problems going on. I have been a female massage therapist for 16 yrs. I do a lot of pain-relief work. I also have a lot of experience with clients that have this problem. Most of them have gotten great results with the right kind of massage. Please call me and I'll be glad to talk with you about this. I would give massage a try first and also some chiropractic adjustments. This usually will relieve the pain. I would beware of any chiropractors that suggest you get a lot of treatments for this. Most of them over-treat their patients just to get more money. I charge $45 hr. I am also listed in the business reviews for mamasource if you want to look me up. I'm listed as T. O'Connor - Licensed Massage Therapist. ###-###-####

Hi Z.,
I too have suffered from severe hip pains after having my second child three years ago. Mine is likely different from yours, as I have severe scoliosis as well. But, I highly recommend that you go to your doctor asap. My hips are "out of place" and I have been through two rounds of physical therapy. The pain is less intense than it was, but I am still not right. Please address this asap. The longer your hips aren't in the correct position, the harder it is to fix. I would call your OB or GP and ask if they can recommend a doctor for you to see.
Best of luck to you!

You should go see someone who will take xrays and possibly a MRI. I have a bulged disc in my low back that occured after the birth of my daughter and it hurt a lot. Or you could need to massage your "booty" cheek because it could be a sciatic nerve (spelling?) problem. I would definitely get it checked out.

The way it was explained to me is this: When you give birth, the pelvis has to slide out (there is more to it, but I'm not a doctor), and sometimes it doesn't slide all the way back in. Mine was so bad on both sides that I could not stand up all the way and I could not move from a lying down to a sitting position. If I took pain medication, I could walk. Anyway, I went to a chiropractor and he fixed the problem. It was painful, but worth it. He told me that he has seen more minor cases where people don't come in for months or years...just live with the pain. So, probably, you can get this fixed. Next time I'm pregnant, I plan to see a chiropractor during pregnancy to help prevent this from happening again. Good luck!


I would for sure go see a chiropractor. Preferably, one who specializes in pregnant women & children. Contact me if you want suggestions. I've had hip pain and pubic symphysis dysfunction with all 3 of my pregnancies, and chiropractic made all the difference. Plus, it is a "low-tech" solution - if it doesn't work, you can always go to a medical doctor for more invasive treatment, but try a chiropractor first.

I had similar problems with both of my children. I see a chiropractor in Plano, Dr. Melissa Shelton. SHe is an absolute gem! Being a mother of twins herself, she knows what a women is feeling when she says her hips hurt after having a baby. Another great thing about her, she does not care about the money!! She would rather see you and your family healthy than make a few bucks. What I am saying, is I know she will work with you. My entire family has been seing Dr. Shelton since 2003, and I would not switch unless she moved. Here is her website where you can find her contact info: http://www.drmelissashelton.com/. I hope this helps!

I had the same problem during and after my first child. I wasted time and money on medical doctors. I then went to a chiropractor who helped me without drugs or surgery or anything else. During my second pregnancy I went to her every two weeks so I wouldn't have the same problem again (and I didn't).

Whatever you choose, don't wait. It will only get worse.

I would recommend seeing a chiropractor. My husband has a chiropractic office and see a lot of families. www.trinityfamiliychiropractic.com ###-###-####

Hi Z.,
I have had a similar issue. Teena Petree at Summit Physical Therapy ###-###-####) can show you a technique to do at home that will adjust your pelvis and that should help. Then do core exercises to keep the pelvic area strong.
V. C

I have the same problem and my knees do the same thing. I went to my PCP and he told me to go to an Orthodopedic and there he told me to only fix one problem at a time so first I am doing my knees with physical therapy, and losing weight.Seems to work so far.... we will see about the hip later though........

Hi there....I think I had something similar only the pain manifested in my back and knees. I finally went to see an orthopedic surgeon (James Montgomery is one of the best....even worked on Olympic team before)...anyway, he told me one of my hips did not got totally back "in" after I had my last baby. I have three. So..one of my legs was slightly longer than the other..kind of like a car being out of alignment. Wears harder on your joints. With some PT..it corrected the problem..no surgery required! It sounds like you may have something similar...I'd go see an ortho or a physical therapist.

After spending thousands of dollars on MRIs, steroid injections, physical therapy and other tests, I ended up having pelvic floor problems. If the physical therapy doesn't work--I would go talk to my OBGYN--I was sent to a specialist and things are improving every day.

I had a similar problem after having my daughter. I ended up going for an x-ray and it showed a hip sprain. I had to do physical therapy for a few weeks and it is MUCH better now. I still have a pain every now and then though. I would recommend going to see your family doctor and then see what he/she says. The PT helped so much!!

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.