Painful,Itchy Lump Under My Arm?

Recently my armpit started itching....a few weeks later it began hurting ALOT.I discovered there is a lump under my arm and it is exactly where it has been itching and it feels like I have a balled up sock tucked under my arm all day long.I have no insurance so I have been hoping it goes away.But if it doesn't go away in the next few days then I may have to go anyway.Has anyone ever experienced this?

I appreciate all the responses.I haven't had a baby since the birth of my last almost 2 yrs ago.So I am not so sure that is it.I thought the itching might be from the deodorant but the lump is inder my skin so I don't think the deodorant is causing that.I will give it a few days and then try and find a cheap way of seeking help and then I will update everyone afterwards.

Another Update: Thanks for all the responses.I do believe the itching was from the deodorant and prob from shaving since it happen soon after a shave but the lump is too large to be an ingrown hair or pimple under the arm.But the pain has stopped except when I toach it and it isn't itching so much today.But I use Dove doedorant,that I have used for some years now.So I don't think that 1 is the problem.But I do recieve alot of samples from a site I visit and I recently recieved a cucumber type one from Dove as I have before but maybe combined with the shaving and the change in the brand that one day it could have irritated my skin and cause the skin or node under my arm to swell.I will wait and see if it continues to go away and update later after a few days.

I don't know what it is but since it has lasted a few weeks I think you should definitely go to the doctor, or emergency room if you don't have a regular doctor.

I had several of these and one was in my arm pit (the worst one!) I also had one in my ear and on the inside of my thigh. All at different times, all different locations, all different sizes. My hubby had one and scratched it so much it get really infected! My son had one on the lower back and one on the calf of his leg. He was the first to get one and it was bad. we thought it was a bug bite. He had to have his lanced and drained and then did the sits bath at home to clean it out. I opened mine on my own (with a pin) and squeezed the stuff out..OUCH and AHHH at the same time! I did have to go to the dr. for and antibiotic to get the staff infection out of my body. She said they would keep coming back if I didnt get rid of the problem. Then I found out constant draining was BAD because it kept opening up the area and allowing more backtiria in. OK, i am a picker so it was hard for me not to pick ans squeeze. But once I drainded the areas a few times and took ALL my meds the last bump went away and no one has had any since then (last year).

I have experienced several episodes of painful lumps. it started with one and increased to several under both arms. I was told it was a lymph node (gland) problem developing. To shave under my armpit and use non irritating deodorants, preferably clear ones, that won't clog the pores or glands.

It sounds like a swollen lymph node, but you should definitely get it checked out because your armpit is also full of breast tissue. It's most likely nothing to worry about, but I wouldn't take a chance. They will most likely send you for an ultrasound which is the cheapest diagnostic procedure. I am an ultrasound tech and have had many patients with the same problem.

Go to the doctor!! This week. It could be just a swollen lymph node, but do you really want to take the chace on it being somthing else and waiting longer. Even no insurance, tell your family doc or your obgyn whichever you see that you have no ins. and they will probably work with you, but oh what peace it would bring. Spend the money!!! I read osme of the others, if it is staph or strep it can spread.

Please don't be too alarmed. I read some of the other responses and they are certianly frightening enough. The odds that it is something serious are very low. It is most likely a staph boil or carbuncle. Although very painful, they are rarely cause for concern if handled properly. There may be occasions when antibiotics are necessary, but not always. Check out this link:

http://www.e-calc.net/articles.php?tid=2348

If you don't see an improvement if a week or so, or if it get much worse, then I would make an appointment to have it checked out. note: it will likely become more painful as it forms a head and draining it can be very painful, but I am talking about worse after that or if it spreads and you develop a fever. Most likely caused by a type of staph bacteria, it can be spread easily so avoid this by wshing your hands thoroughly after touching the area.

If it's been weeks, yeah I would have it checked out. I know I have some breast tissue under one arm that whenever my breasts would be larger (such as right before my period or when I was pregnant or particularly when I was engorged after my milk came in) would show up in lumps. Bigger lumps depending on the situation. My OB/GYN said it was pretty common in womenm which is why they check all the way up under the arms when doing a breast exam. I noticed you have a 5 month old. If you are nusring a blocked milk duct is possible. Warm compresses and making sure that breast is fully drained at each feeding can help that. But, it shouldn't last for weeks, so that concerns me. I'd say you probably need to suck it up and get it checked out. You'll feel better even if it is nothing to have a pro's opinion.

C., Please go to the Doctor. You can also go the Social Services and see if you qualiy for Medicaid for you and your family if you don't have insurance. Check this out soon and Good Luck. B. J.

try to stop shaving and stop using deodorant....maybe is only irrited....that happend to me once...
pam

I know you had a lot of responses and said you were just going to let it go and see if it goes away.... but I am an ER nurse and have seen abscesses (boils) here. If you start running a fever you need to have it checked. Until then use warm/hot compresses to get it to drain.
Best of luck.
V.

1 / 3