Pain with Bowel Movements During Period ...

Okay ... so this may sound sort of gross, but over the last few months, I have developed pain when I have a bowel movement during the first few days of my period. And it's not just light pain ... it is pretty bad. In fact, sometimes I need to bend over to relieve the pain and have even resorted to holding it in so I wouldn't go to avoid the pain. I know that is terrible. I really don't have problems during the rest of the month. And I know the pain isn't "typical" period cramping because I do suffer from that and I know what it feels like. It's not even in the same area as period cramping. This pain is primarly in my lower bowel area (for lack of a better description).

I have always had very heavy periods, usually very heavy flow for at least 3 - 4 days and they typically last at least 7 or 8 days, severe cramping, etc. I was on the pill for years prior to the birth of my son, which did help but I don't want to go back on the pill, mainly because we are still unsure whether we will have another child and I'm waiting until we have decided. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what caused it? Was it serious and should I be really concerned? I am scheduled for my annual OBGYN exam next month and plan to bring it up to the doctor then, but am wondering if it is something I should be seen for sooner. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

In response to a few of the responses I have received, I want to add that it doesn't matter what the consistency of the "poo" is ... I don't believe it is because I am constipated. The poo can be quite soft or even runny in consistency, and I can still have severe pain. So I don't think it is in relation to being constipated, but thank you all for your suggestions!

I was diagnosed with endometriosis and that was just one of my symptoms. When you go in to the doctor communicate that and hopefully you will get to the bottom of it. I know what you're talking about when you say it's really bad pain! Good luck to you...

Yes this was typical for me. The bowel muscles are entwined closely with the uterine muscles. I used to have such painful bowel/menstration pains that I could not stand up. They actually were more painful for me than labor. I would rather have a baby than a period any day.

Taking the pill helped until I go off the pill...then the pain was such a shock! The new pills are probably less dangerous with the hormones that you will get, so that is the way to go, but I hate to see you take them the rest of your life.

It sounds like you have symptoms of endometriosis. Most women need laproscopic surgery for a diagnosis and treatment of the condition, especially if they are planning on having children. Good luck to you.

I have this problem, too. In my case, I believe it's from pelvic adhesions and scar tissue that developed after a challenging delivery. During my daughter's birth, there was a lot of tearing for me that didn't heal properly, and I had to have some restorative surgeries. I think the trauma from her delivery and the resulting scar tissue from the surgeries has caused some of my deeper plumbing to adhere to other parts. So when there is cramping, heavy flow, and smooth muscle inflammation during my period, bowel movements are very painful.

I don't have a solution for my own situation or one to offer you. I'm still exploring alternative ways of healing scar tissue down there and reducing inflammation during my period.

You might ask your doctor about pelvic adhesions, though.

Time to see the doc...

I had the same thing for years...but it directly followed an appendectomy...so it was pretty apparent that a nerve had grown back the wrong way, and attached itself to my descending colon. For me (even though it was painful) it was ironically fantastic, because it always happened 30 hours before my period started.

If yours has no obvious trigger (like a recent surgery), I'd definitely go get things checked out. It could be a bunch of things (ranging from endometriosis to polyps in your colon that inflame with the change of hormones related to your period, to something totally benign, to, to...). Don't be disappointed if you get sent for multiple tests...unfortunately anything relating to the abdomen (especially with women) isn't all found in one speciality...& they'll rule out what's common before they start the more exotic. And then they send you off to another speciality, where they run their run of the mill to exotic list.

Regardless, your symptoms are indicative of something, and it's worth finding out what it is and how to treat it.

I have had a similar issue off and on for about 15 years- most of my menstruating life. I was always told that I had endometriosis, but it was never officially diagnosed. The symptoms generally get worse during pregnancy. My midwife suggested that I might have internal hemorrhoids. Since I am 8 months pregnant I am waiting to get it examined and treated, so that's not really official either, but it seems like a possibility. It's a very strange and painful sensation, and I have never heard of anyone else with it... Good luck and let us know what happens!!

I agree with those who suggested endometriosis. Endometriosis is basically your uterine flow going backwards...some goes back up into your abdominal cavity vs. all coming out. Every little piece of uterine tissue that ends up in your abdomen acts like it's own little uterus each month and causes extreme abdominal pain (although some women experience no pain) and can also cause adhesions with your organs. It's basically gummy and can stick your organs together. My sister-in-law dealt with it for years. Birth control medicine fakes your body out and makes your body believe that it's pregnant. The birth control pills (or surgery) are one of the only things I've heard of that will control the progression and severity of endometriosis (if that's what you truly have). I would definitely bring it up with your OBGyn.

I hope you don't have it!

I think more fluids would help...especially water and some herbal teas plus 100% juice.

what are your vitamins like?... too much iron can constipate ya.

Good Luck,
C. M Hamlin

1 / 3