Pain in Throat, Jaw... What Could It Be?

My throat has been sore now for a week. It really only hurts on the left side. Then a few days ago, my jaw started to hurt also (no tooth pain, it hurts when I move it while eating) and I've been getting headaches with it. Last night I noticed that my ear was starting to feel a little sore too. I am puzzled. I'm not sick with a cold, my glands are not swolled, my tonsils don't appear swolled and my teeth don't hurt. All the pain is localized on the left side under my ear to the top of my neck. Had no injuries lately either. I need to make an appointment to see what's going on, but I don't know if this is a doctor thing or a dentist thing.

decided to go see the doctor first and he said that it sound like TMJ (I had never even heard of it until I read the posts). He said it would probably go away on its own but to see the dentist and if the pain persists, he will refer me to ears, nose, throat specialist. I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain.

It could be TMJ (do you grind your teeth in your sleep?).
I was going to say mumps, but with no fever or swollen glands that pretty much eliminates that.
Seeing a dentist wouldn't hurt. A deep infection under a tooth might create pain in a ways that might surprise you.
Last time I had tooth trouble (due to receding gums) I was feeling pain in one tooth but the real problem was 3 teeth back.

See your doctor because of the sore throat. If you didn't have the sore throat, I'd guess that the jaw pain, headaches, and earache were from either clenching your teeth or grinding them at night.
Hope you feel better soon :)

I bet you have an infection of some sort. TMJ doesn't cause a sore throat, I don't think. I'd ask for the doctor to check your blood for signs of infection, to differentiate a viral infection from a bacterial one.

Hope you feel better soon!

This almost sounds like TMJ - this the pain associated from grinding your teeth in your sleep.

Do you know if you grind you teeth? Can your bed partner verify for you?

I would recommend a trip to the dentist first.

Take a look at this site see if it fits....
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/temporomandibular_joint_tm...

Is there any chance you have a wisdom tooth trying to work its way in? When mine started coming in and got stuck they made my throat hurt because they were so far back and the swelling under my gums radiated into my throat. This was even before a tooth broke the skin.
You have gotten a lot of possibilities here. I hope you can get it checked out and that you feel better very soon. Pain is a bummer.

I have no experience to share with regards to TMJ, but the fact that you've been having a sore throat and have developed pain near your ear makes me think a trip to the doctor would be a good idea. (Or, ENT, if you can get in to see one). This could be an ear/sinus infection just as easily as it could be TMJ. Untreated ear infections that persist can develop into far worse infections, so it's worth it to get the ear/sinus area checked out. I wish you luck at getting it accurately diagnosed, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Dentist! its probably your temporomandibular joint, or TMJ it can be caused by years of missaligned teeth, causing your jaw to overcompensate. it can cause migraines, neck pain and even spotty vision, even if your not having tooth pain. call your dentist ASAP before it gets worse.

-dental assistant

SADLY I know all about TMJ. I have missed countless days of work, outings and holidays due to the pain caused by the TMJ. I'm fairly sure it was caused by three childhood concussions.

I wasted time and money with my dentist UNTIL he referred me to a specialist. I had severe issues and he never thought they warranted any further help. GRRRRRR.

After living a crappy, painful 30 years I found a GREAT/AWESOME doctor that has helped restore my sanity. I literally cried in her office when she explained my scans and x-rays and PROVED to me there WAS a major problem BUT it could be fixed!

I also have a GREAT physical therapist that has helped me (and basically tortured me) back to a normal I didn't even know existed. The throat pain is actually tight neck muscles and there's easy (but a little painful-yet worth doing) excersises that you can do to help reduce/eliminate the pain.

Have it looked at and good luck because it is fixable/manageable.

1 / 3