Owie Bottom

My 4 year old daughter says her bottom hurts, sometimes more than others. I think its constipation because once she said her hard poop makes her bottom hurt but she also said her laugh makes it hurt. I haven't seen her strain to have a BM. I have added more fiber to her diet. I've been buying white bread but next time I'm going to buy some "whole grain" bread for her. I've been giving her apples, other fruits and finding ways to have her eat more veggies (dipping sauces, cheese on top, etc.). I have checked her backside and there are no sores or any issues I can actually see. She will play normally most of the day and suddenly get a certain look on her face. I thought she had to go potty but she would say she didn't. Now, I ask her if her bottom hurts. She always says yes. I ask her if she needs to go and she still says no. She does have regular BM's. I'm not sure what to do. Any other suggestions? I do have a Dr. appointment set but was wondering what you ladies think.

If it is constipation, more fiber won't help unless she is getting enough liquids. Fruit, veggies, and whole grains are great ideas, but I'd also push water and juices. Prune juice and cloudy pear juice are supposedly the best to help with constipation.

Totally with Amy on this one...fibers make it actually WORSE if she doesn't drink LOTS of water because poop becomes a huge hard ball. Also be careful when you wipe...sensitive area!!!

try pureed prunes (baby food) and lots of water. Activia might also help. The doctor may give her a stool softener or mild laxative.

Hi R. - just yesterday I visited a pediatric nurse practioner who specializes in urology and elimination concerns because my almost 4yr old has been resistant to potty training. She diagnosed him with constipation saying that even though they are having a bm every day, they have these hard sections of fecal matter that dont clear and the waste just goes around them. I think it's a really good idea to set an appt. with your doctor.

The NP/PA that I'm working with suggested a course of Miralax along with some other things to break up the hard matter and get the bowel working properly again. She said when the bowel becomes distended like that, the autonomic squeezing motion that moves things down the bowel stops working as effectively as it should so it needs a small amount of a stimulant laxative for a limited period to train it to squeeze as hard as it should naturally. Miralax is apparently very safe and isnt absorbed into the body.

If your daughter is getting a lot of fiber, she also needs a lot of plain water. An easy calc is to take her body weight, round up and divide by 2. So if she weighs 40 lbs, she would need at least 20 oz of water in addition to her other juices, milk, etc.

If it is constipation then put a tablespoon of corn syrup and a tablespoon of mineral oil in apple juice water or even milk if that is what she drinks best and be sure she drinks it as many times a day as you can get her to. This worked like charm with my kids. One of my kids however did need to go as far as an enema one time (horrible experience but works immediately).

Glad to hear you are going to the doc, you just never know.

To help with the hurt, get some epsom salts and toss a handful into the tub. Make sure to stir the water around so the epsom salts dissolve. Let her sit in a warm epsom salt bath and that should help the pain lessen or go away. Both of my daughters have trouble with constipation and when they do, their little bums hurt - so I toss them into a warm bath with epsom salt and they feel better the next day.

Check with her doctor, and the sooner the better. If you have reason to think your daughter is constipated and she complains of pain, even when she laughs, she may be developing a serious blockage called ENCOPRESIS.

When this happens, poop may continue to ooze past and the child might still have occasional BM's, but they may not know it's coming and soil their pants. Your request is a little vague, but if your little girl hasn't been pooping normally for a few days now, it's really time to get her some medical advice. Encopresis is a very serious condition, and the worse it gets, the longer it takes to straighten it out.

When my son was little, I used to give him a couple of prunes everyday when he was constipated. He loved the flavored prunes, but also ate the regular. If she is putting off going to the bathroom because it hurts, that will make constipation worse. If she doesn't like prunes, you can sneak them into different foods. Just search for "prune recipes for kids" on the internet. Good luck!

1 / 3