Overwhelmed with What to Feed.

Hello all, my son is 7 months old and I am a little confused about what solids he should be on and how much. I have done some research on the web and there are so many different suggestions it is hard to tell which one to follow. I would love some ideas of what other moms have done. Right now he is eating 2 8oz bottles with formula and cereal in the morning and before he goes to bed and 2 6ox bottles with formula and a fruit or veggie at lunch and dinner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dear K.
My theory was my child had to have 2top and 2 bottom
front teeth before I gave them table food so one of mine
got table food when he was almost a 1yr old the other one
was 5monthe old when he started on table food because
he had 6 teeth and the girls were about 7or 8 months
when I started them on table food. I did the ceral in
and a bottle for the morning and a couple hors after that
another bottle then nap then for lunch I would have some
table food. Here are some things i mashed up Mash tators
and I would cut up greenbeans and I gave them corn , cut
up fruit I would take the seeds out of the bananas and I
would start getting them use to a sippy cup at lunch and
for supper I had someone tell me to give them foods
that have starch in them it stays with them longer in
the evening and at bedtime they got a bottle.
Hope this helps you some. B. K

Are you asking about solids as in baby foods or as in finger foods? It sounds like you are already on a good start with introducing the baby foods... so I'm running with the finger food ideas. Lots of (first time) moms think babies can't have solids (finger foods) until they have a good amount of teeth. It's actually better to introduce them to soft solids early so they can learn to mash and maneuver food with their gums before they can bite off big hunks with their teeth. I introduced Cheerios, ritz and saltine crackers and those great Gerber Puffs. Those are all great foods because they get nice and soggy quickly and baby can mash it up and swallow it down. Once they get used to gumming/"chewing" things you can give them anything soft enough for that... soft ripe fruits (banana, pear, peaches), soft cooked and cubed veggies (peas, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes), pastas cooked well so they're nice and soft, etc. By nine and ten months old my kids were eating pretty much what we as adults were having for meals... just omitting anything too solid and crunchy until they have some of those molars after a year old.
Other ideas of finger foods and older baby solids...Scrambled eggs, tiny cheese cubes, toast, healthy pastas, crackers, yogurt, cottage cheese, lots of fruit and veggies...

Dear K.
Hope this helps you some. B. K

A friend of mine gave me the book, Super Baby Food. It tells when you can introduce certain foods month by month. Also, it has recipes and instructions for making your own baby food to save money and be healthier for baby. I have used it in conjuction with jar food and it has worked well for us. I have a 7 month old daughter that loves her food! We just introduced turkey. Good luck!

I think your routine sounds really good - that's basically how I started out with my son. He's 16 months now and I thought he would never get past eating just applesauce! Now he eats everything you give him. Good luck and don't push him to grow up - they do that too fast anyway! :)

K. - My son is 7 mos old also, and I know how overwhelming it can be. My pediatrician said we could introduce proteins at 7 months, so that has changed his diet. Based on his suggestion, we started giving our son yogurt in the morning - Yo Baby Organic...it comes plain (I mix fruit in) or in fruit flavors. You can also put a little bit of cereal in to make it a little more hearty. He sleeps better with a full tummy, so we don't do a 'lunch' meal yet, but an early dinner and a 'dessert'. For dinner I give him half of a #2 Gerber meat dinner (Chicken Noodle, Beef Vegetable, Turkey Rice, etc.) & then half of a #2 or #3 veggie. Before bed I do cereal and a fruit. I bought some of the 'puffs' from gerber that teaches them how to feed themselves...he wasn't ready for that...they came back up still intact. oops! I have bought some #3 meat meals that have soft veggie chunks in them so they learn to move it around in their mouth and chew, but I haven't started on those yet.
Anyway, there are tons of options, but that's what we're doing, so I thought I would share. I asked everyone I knew for advice before I settled on a regimen for my little Ascher. Good Luck!!!

K.,

As a grandma of a little one year old boy, (and four other grandchildren...young) I can tell you what I have seen my daughter do..and well. Only formula until one year with some rice cereal at noon or supper if needed. Her pediatrician said that it may appear they are tolerating food okay but allergies can develop later...when you present fruit...bananas applesauce only do one at a time to make sure no allergies or reactions are occurring. I would not be giving vegetables yet...only rice cereal and then I think I would wait closer to a year. The formula has everything the baby needs.

I would also think twice about juice...too much sweet for a baby...they have their milk ...later their fruit....provide water. In other words I would not give my baby juice.

I totally understand your feeling overwhelmed...too much information overload.

Sounds about right. I fed my son 1 jar of veggie and 1 jar of fruit, i also nursed him. He will only eat as much as his tummy will hold.

your routine does sound good! i would do exactly as you are, and start upping the amount of cereal and baby food, replacing more and more of his formula with cereal. and try different kinds. personally, i did NOT want the kid that only liked three flavors of baby food lol. all of the ones that say step 1 should be fine for him in the next few months. i think once i introduced fruits, veggies, and cereal, my son was on to the "meaty" kinds after a few weeks. for us, the last bottle to go was the bedtime one, which we replaced with a sippie of milk when he was big enough. good luck, you're doing fine! :)

1 / 3