Overabundance of Ear Wax

My daughter's turning two soon, and she has a LOT of wax in her ears. I do clean them out reguarly, but when I shine a flashlight into her ears, I can see more deeper in. How can I remove them safely w/o having to go to a pediatrician?

Thank you!

Edited: I realize that *some* ear wax is fine, but this more than just a little bit. A quick look into her ears with a flashlight, and all I could see was dark brown.

I used some hydrogen peroxide in her ears, it seems to have broken them up a bit.

We both have Ectodermal Dysplasia, and there is a tendency in both of us to produce too much ear wax. She's never had ear infections, so I know that isn't a problem with her.

I just don't want to take her to the pediatrician - I remember when I had to get my ears cleaned by one, and it HURT. That was when I was about 6 or 7, and I still remember the pain. Metal things w/o anesthesia do not belong in ears.

Thanks, ladies!

I have horrible ears (something about the shape of my ear canal makes it more prone to ear wax build up and infections). I have been told by several doctors though not to put peroxide in the ears though. Instead get the ear wax softener at the pharmacy. It helps to break things down safely and then you can usually suction the ear wax at once it's softened.

For my son, excessive ear wax is a major sign of food intolerance. We noticed that when he went dairy free (and later gluten free) the wax greatly diminished.

My husband has had to see doctors for the same issue - same exact cause as we later found out.

Have you tried ear candles? You can buy really good ones at GNC. We do them, and our kids love them. Pop a hole in the middle of a paper plate, stick the candle in the hole, put the pointed end of the candle in her ear and light the top. Of course, stay with her, hold the candle, and let it run down to the line on the candle (about 3-4 inches from the tip). Pull it out of her ear and then blow it out.You can open the candle up to see all the wax. It is awesome. I had a huge ball of wax come out of my ear when I did this. I couldn't hear very well before, but it was amazing how well I could hear afterwards. LOL Don't buy cheaper ones because the hole at the tip sometimes is too big, which can cause the wax to fall back down into the ear. This is not good. The brand I use is Wally's.

Excessive ear wax can be a food intolerance. You might check IgG food sensitivities (blood test) to determine if an offending food might be contributing to the problem.

Our family doctor told me to NEVER put anything in the ears. He said the ears are designed to expel wax on their own, and that if we disturb the natural process, it causes the ears to create more and more wax. Also putting something in the ear can damage the ear and/or push the wax further down. All that said, I told the doctor my husband cleans his ears every day with Q-tips and the doctor said, "So do I. Do as I say, not as I do." He said he has to clean them every day precisely because he doesn't let the body do it itself, in which case the wax would work itself out. I'm in my 40s and have NEVER cleaned the insides of my ears with Qtips! One time I did feel there was something inside them, and I got homeopathic ear drops and for a few hours, wax dripped out of my ears and the problem was solved.

My son is like that.
DO NOT pick it out yourself.
Actually, you are not supposed to use Q-Tips in a child's ear etc., because it can push the wax in further, or worse, you can rupture his ear drum.

Our Pediatrician, said per my son, it really is no big deal. HE, with a Doctor's tool... took out my son's ear wax.
He said it causes no harm nor any hearing problems.
Nor has he ever had any ear infections, ever.
** My son, did not have any pain, while the Doctor took out his ear wax. He was not scared either.

The ear... is actually SELF cleaning.... and stuff gets pushed out of the canal and into the outer ear, by itself. That is what a normal healthy ear... does. It is self-cleaning....

You should only let your Pediatrician do that.

all the best,
Susan

I daugther has some medical problems and has to see an audiologist. They say leave it in. It comes out on it's own most times. If it gets too bothersome take her to the doc and tell him not to use that instrument (i know what it is and sometimes it does hurt when i was a child a doc used it once and actually cut my ear with it and i was bleeding). You can always refuse to let them do something to you child if you don't want it done.

I was told hydrogen peroxide has water in it and does not evaporate. It can become trapped in the ear and cause problems. When my daughter's ear drum burst and their was a scabbing of blood and ick, I was told to use alcohol drops to help break away the build up. It worked and eventually a scab ball surfaced. I wouldn't do either procedure without consulting the PED first.

Unless she is fussing with her ears, I would leave the wax in the deep pockets. I do tend to clean the upper canal of the ear that is visible with the hair pulled back, even though you are not suppose to.

I do no suggest peroxide. There is wax softener in the eye and ear care at stores. It helps to soften it a few days (2 times a day ) prior to going to dr to get it removed. They might flush it with water. A pinpoint of wax Will hurt coming out. ENT Dr's have instruments to remove wax. Even a suction if it is too close to the ear drum. If its constant, then doing the wax drops once a week is ok. It works around the clock to prevent it from forming a ball. Its easy to damage ear drums and its NOT something to mess with doing home care on it.

1 / 3