Outgrowing an Infant Carrier at 6-Months

Hello Moms,
My son is quite big for his age: he just turned 6-months and weighs 21 lbs! I am in need of a new car seat. I was looking at the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 that has great reviews but it is not suitable for a "little" baby that still needs to sit rear facing. I am thinking about one of the Britax car seats but am open to suggestions. I'd like to buy a car seat that is safe and will last longer than 6 months :)
BTW, I drive a Toyota Matrix and my husband Corolla - does anyone have a smaller car that fits e.g. Britax Marathon and the passenger seat is not pushed in all the way???
Please help!!!
Thanks in advance,
Magda

Hello Moms!
Thank you all so very very much for all your responses. I was very happy to see that it took only a couple of days to get help :) I am a FT working Mom (not by choice) with very little time to do research but thanks to you I was able to go to the suggested websites and find the time to look for the best fitted carseat for my baby and my car. I bought a Britax Marathon that Alex likes to sit in. We did not install it yet in a car but are sure it will fit. I received so many responses from all of you that I won't have to look far for a second carseat (for Daddy's car) if we'll end up needing one. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!
Grateful Mama :)

We have a britax (I can't remember if it's the marathon or boulevard) It's big but i know it is safe. It will last a long time also, I think up to 65 lbs. we have a jeep cherokee and the backseat isn't that big. it was a tight squeeze for the front passenger when it was in the rear facing position. Now that we are forward facing there is plenty of room again. My son loves his seat- I do too!

I love the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It can be used rear-facing or forward-facing. It is a little big but I think most car seats are. This one is really easy to use and my 12-month old seems comfortable in it.

I have the Graco Nautilus and no it is not for rear facing which you will need until he is at least 1 regardless of weight. We also have two of the First Years Tru Fit (which we love) which is rear facing infant through 65lbs harnessed (like the graco) only it does not become the belted high back booster/just booster like the Graco, but mine oldest is almost 4.5 (and just 40 lbs)and by the time he is 65lb, I still have one Graco and for the other car, I can't imagine that he won't be okay to be in just a booster with him.

Britax Diplomat for a smaller car and if you need to rear face. It's good until 40 lbs. Any Britax is good, they're the best, but check the size first to make sure you can rear face it in your car no problem.

Hi - My son also outgrew his carrier at an early age and we got a Britax Marathon and installed it rear-facing. My son is now 4 years old and still using that seat (we kept it rear-facing until he was about 18 months and then turned it around)! It goes up to 45 lbs and I can't remember the height, but it has lasted a while. Britax car seats are expensive, but they are the best/safest - check out the Consumer Reports (they always rank #1 for safety).

Another brand to consider is the Evenflo Triumph Advance which ranks just as high as the Britax ones and is a litle bit less money. Goes up to 50 lbs. (I think 35 lbs. rear facing). We have two and love them.

britax marathon is the way to go. my son is 6 and still in it so comfortably, its like his throne. we used it rear facing with all 3 kids from 20 lbs until around 15 mos. excellent ratings and so easy to use.

We got the Combi Zeus car convertible car seat. Besides being rear/front facing, it turns 360 so you can turn the seat towards you when you put the baby in it, then turn it forwards or rear when you're done. It's good for birth- 3yrs and seems very comfortable. We love it!!!

Definitely buy a Britax - they have the best safety rating and theirs hold babies/toddlers to a larger size than a lot (65 lbs). My son is 2 1/2 now and over 38 inches long and still fits great in his Britax and will for quite a while longer. I bought the Decathalon because it has more padding that the lower models - I was choosing between that and the Boulevard. I am glad I did because I felt the extra padding helped him fit better when he was smaller. Now we don't use the extra padding at all. I love the car seat!!! FYI - I spent less money and bought a cosco car seat that had a safety rating almost as good for our second car and I wish I had spent the extra money to have two Britax - my cheaper carseat - while still good has little quirks such as the harness straps getting twisted - I have never had this, or any other problem with the Britax.

My suggestion is to go to a store that sells car seats. Bring the baby with you. Talk to the manager. Tell him the issues you are having and ask him to let you try out the car seats for a good fit for your son. Some managers will even help you take a few of the car seats out to the parking lot to actually try them in your vehicle to be sure they fit it properly also.

1 / 3