Our First Family Photos-What Should We Wear??

Hi Moms!

We have never taken family photos before. It's me, my husband, and our two daughters, ages 7 and 4. We are taking the photos outside at a park where there are flowers, a pond, etc. It will be this Saturday when the weather is partly cloudy and a high of 92. We are all brunettes. I'm just not sure what color to wear, if we should all wear the same color, or what? I'm really bad at this stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all the advice! We decided to coordinate, not match. My youngest wore a peach-colored polka-dot sundress, my oldest wore a long white skirt with a solid peach-colored shirt, I wore red, and my husband wore orange. The photos turned out great!

Denim shirts and khakis? All white? All white, really? Hey, 1996 called, they want their look back!!!

You just need to have everyone dressed in their best outfits for THEM...not all matchy, matchy.

M:)

Something you all feel really good in (it will help with the smiles!) Sounds like you got some really good ideas here (love the idea of the dresses and bare feet (or sandals, even.) I would think light and/or bright colors with the dark hair but would ask the photographer what they recommend. I've always kind of liked the white shirt/jeans idea but we've never done it. I like the casual complementing outfits - like if you had matching or coordinating sundresses for the girls in blue and yellow for example then DH could wear a blue shirt and you could wear yellow or something like that.
Beyond that just be relaxed and smile! GOOD LUCK!

So, my answer is just for fun but you'll not only get a good laugh but you'll also get a good idea of what NOT to do.

Ever been to awkwardfamilyphotos.com?

Go there - laugh your behind off and take notes as what not to do!

I've always loved the 'clean' look of khakis and white button up shirts in pictures. It doesn't take away from your surroundings and it compliments everyone. OR you could wear similar but different things... girls in sundresses, boys in khakis and polos. Have fun and make it your own! Dress to fit your personalities. Sounds like a gorgeous place :)

I would suggest that everyone wear what they feel comfortable and happy wearing. For some possible suggestions on what not to wear, or how not to pose, have a look here. I know my family has at least one picture that ended up in the awkward catagory!

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/
(just copy and paste the link if you can't click it)

try to coordinate rather than match exactly. pick something age and body type appropriate for each person in colors and style that compliment each other but arent the same cut and color just in differant sizes. That alows for each person to shine individually but the group remains cohesive - like a family!

We're huge Chicago Bears fans, so for our first family photo, we put our one month old twins in Bears onsies and we wore jerseys.

We’ve had good results when the kids are wearing something bright and we wear something more neutral…makes the kids “pop” in the photos. I also like when you have outfits in the same color family, but not all matchy-matchy, but that’s just my preference.

Wear white t-shirts (solid white) or solid black and jeans. This keeps you guys the focus of the picture instead of the clothes. I've made several family photos and the ones that we did this in, turned out the best by far. Good luck!

1 / 3