Other People's Perception About Silver Crowns on Children's Teeth

My friend and I were having a discussion about cavities in our children and the dentist saying that a crown is needed on one of thier teeth and we have different opinions about it so I wanted to know what other mom's think when they see a young child (3 or 4 years) with a silver crown on one of their bottom teeth?

Honestly it make me think that the child eats poorly and that the parents cannot afford to take care of them. I usually feel sorry for the child. I know that may not be the case, but it is my immediate perception.

I agree with Della. I hate to admit it, but I feel the same way. I think, "oh, poor kid! That looks terrible." :(

Is this an opinion of kids with cavities, or the silver crowns? I hate my silver fillings, and am just waiting until they fall out so that I can get them replace with the white ones. My insurance told me that they only cover the silver crowns when I needed them and that I would have to cover the difference if I wanted white. I asked the dentist and they were the same price!! yeah!

As far as kids with cavities. I guess I feel sorry for them. Yea, it looks awful but I know that I had the canyon teeth and my dentist said I would have had cavities no matter what, so I try not to judge. My kids will definitely get whatever that protectant is.

I had a silver cap on my tooth since I was 4. I HATED it. They had to put it in because I had decay on the tooth and no permanent tooth underneath it. So, to retain the space until I could get it replaced, I was stuck with a silver tooth. They did not have the porcelain crowns they now have when I was that age. Save your kid the judgment and get the porcelain.

i think it looks bad, ill be honest, but im not being a snob, my two year old will need crowns soon because of a weakness in her enamel, due to the way she was drinking breast milk at night and letting it pool. I am going to pay extra for tooth colored fillings and crowns. Even though these teeth will come out anyway it makes me sad to think of silver on her little tiny teeth.

It is not ALWAYS neglect, that causes cativies, im sorry that this will get thought of when people see caps or fillings on a child. In my case it was taking too good a care of my daughter that did it, making sure she was nourished at night. I was vigilant about dental care too. Things just happen sometimes, and peoples opinions can be unfortunate.

Why do you care what other people think? Do what's best for your kid!

i've always been told a filling is better..that's what i get for my daughter + a silver crown could give peers a reason to pick on your child when in school. Me personally i'll do what ever i can to keep my daughter from having to ever get silver anything, would perfer something that blends in with the teeth..she has 2 spacers right now because 2 teeth had to get pulled and the spacer's will help guide her adult teeth in and that's bad enough i think

Not necessarily neglect. Our genetics gives us deep grooves which are more prone to cavities. Had sealants done right away on adult teeth for my kids, but until they were invented when I was 12, I had a number of cavities despite my efforts guided by my mom. I recall my mom being very good about being taught by a dental hygienist, we went to a pediatric dentist already 40 years ago. I opt for white. I had my silver removed on all my lowers a few years ago, even though they don't hold as long as silver. Was so worth it to me and they even have different shades of white to match your teeth.

1 / 3