Organizing the Toys of Multiple Children

I would love to hear from moms of multiple children about organizing toys in the best way possible. I am finding it quite the struggle to keep all of this stuff separate and in its place! Everything gets thrown together! Anyone else experience this? Has anyone simplified their children's toys by getting rid of the little stuff (McDonald's toys, etc) and just having several larger toys out? I just find that there is so much junk in the toy bins! HELP! LOL!

If anyone has experience with this, please share!

Thanks...

Yes, get rid of those McDonald's toys! I did a few months ago and my kids haven't asked for them once.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20087525

This is the toy organizing system we use and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I bought 3 of them and line them up against a wall in the FR. We have oversized toys on the top, and 2 different sized bins in each. All cars go in 1 bin, Legos in another, Toy Story-themed toys in another, Lincoln Logs, etc. When we first started out I took pics of the contents of each bin and taped it to the outside so the kids could learn what went where. Eventually they tore the pics off, but they still know to separate the toys. Good luck!

One of my friends has the best system, I love playing at her house. :-) She has shelves with plastic bins and on the bins are a picture of the toys that should be in it, like the tea set, or barbies, or zoobles, or whatever. Even though we dont play there very often, I know when it's time to clean up I wont feel overwhelmed because it's all so organized.

bins with or without pictures at kid height- already mentioned

bookshelves for boxed things like puzzles and games

books in baskets or soft material crates- they are always a mess on bookshelves

We weren't as organized when my first was little but I showed him that everything has a place and he gets it now. My youngest grew up knowing that everything has a place and since he could walk puts stuff back in the right place. I never even explained it to him.

I rotate toys- when they are not played with much but are still age appropriate, I put them in the garage in a plastic bag or in a closet in a rubbermaid bin. Then, when they are bored again, I take em out and reintroduce em. Works everytime. And there are never too many toys out at once so it's manageable. You also don't have to constantly buy new toys when they are bored cause you have a new toy stash in your own house.

I use the organizer bin, shelves, bookcases, etc. Each bin has a label on it (one for Dollhouse stuff, baby doll clothes, blocks, balls, cars, etc.) and her littlest petshop stuff has it's own containers and shelves. Her barbies live on a shelf in the bookcase, play food is a big container on a shelf, etc.
I go through about once a month and dig into the bottom of the toybox and get all the broken, crappy toys and throw them out.

I use the McDonald's toys for party favors, and for the visiting kids as rewards for good behavior, games wins, good sportsmanship, or other skill building rewards... I have the moms send a small bag, so I can place all their items in it, to keep their items from infusing into my home... Yet, I'm passing it on to my friends, but, they recycle, too! So, the kids keep getting new items of interest, but, we moms are saving money, and reducing the waste from the landfills... Our kids are happy, and we are getting cleaner homes, by recycling on www.freecycling.org

I bought a cabinet on wheels with 5 drawers. Each drawer has a theme..small misc. toys that would include happy meal toys and similar things... One drawer is hot wheels, a couple types of building toys, etc...

Then I have a big bucket that's for electronic toys and we have tons. We have another big bucket with the largest building set. We have a chest that has all the doll babies, clothes, blankets, and baby toys that we let them have when we don't have a baby in the house and we steal them back and wash them up when we do.

I'm very strict with the kids. We keep the bins, drawers, and buckets organized. We have book shelves for other things and a closet full of art supplies.

Those little cubicle systems are great!
http://www.target.com/s?keywords=wood_organizer_cubes&amp...

You can laminate pictures of what goes in each cube and put it on the front, that way the kids can help put the toys away. It really does work. You can even make a bin or 2 just for all those McDonalds toys (which I secretly get ride of when the kids aren't looking). :)

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=p...

And you put each toy type, in its own drawer.
These are great for office/desk/hair items too.
ANYTHING.
I love these.

1 / 3