Organized Sports Activity for My Little Boy (Just over 3 1/2 Yrs Old)

I'm a single mom to one terrific and active little boy... and I'm looking for an activity for the fall and winter.

The problem is, I didn't grow up participating in organized sports myself, so i'm not sure where to look (what to google) to find information on what's available.

I'm already aware of Little Gym... and I think it's a little pricey for us right now. What I'm really wondering about is something more like soccer, baseball, track, tennis or maybe some kind of martial arts - And are these things appropriate for a little boy about to turn 4 years old in less than 6 months?

Any suggestions or information would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My son is the same age and I have him in sports activities through our community rec center. He is currently in basketball and has taken soccer in the past. Your son is definitely not too young. Check into your local community center.

We just signed our son up through the Camden Community Center. The city of San jose publishes a catalog of activities sponsored by the city and the events are pretty reasonable. We are doing swim lessons for $50 and the Sky Hawk 2 week intro to sports camp for another 2 weeks....There is also Kidz love soccer....

Hi T.,

Have you tried your local recreation center to see if they have classes in the fall? For example, I take my 5 year old daughter to the Santa Clara Recreation center at central park for ballet lessons. She also enjoyed gymnastics and there were a few boys in that class as well. The prices are much more reasonable than Little Gym, etc. and most centers provide classes for young children.

T.,

My son (3 years old) is currenty playing on a basketball team at the Alum Rock Youth Center. Also, all of the local YMCA's have sports for the little guys. That is where my 9 year started when he was three. They have baseball, soccer, martial arts, basketball, etc...

When my kids were that age I took them to the YMCA. They have a really great little kids sports program...Little Kickers, Little Dribblers, Little Hitters. They use equipment that is smaller and allows the kids to learn the idea of an organized sport without the pressure or frustration. I went to both the East Valley and the Central Y, but all the local Y's have similar programs. You don't have to be full members of the Y to take the classes.

We've also D. the Kids Love Soccer and the SkyHawks. My son loves Sky Hawks now (for camps), but at 3 and 4, it was a little too structured for him -- same with Kids Love Soccer. My daughter, however responded well to the Kids Love Scoccer at age 3, so it is somewhat a kid's personality thing.

The Y really encourages the kids to get envolved and trys to play non-threatening games to include the shy kids.

I'm not sure what town you live in but most have a recreational departments through the town. Starting around 3 they have all kinds of things, soccer (through kids love soccer), gymnastics, dance, art etc. Palo Alto has a lot of programs that you can participate in even if you aren't a resident. The prices are reasonable.

You can try looking at sports classes through the YMCA. Also a good place that might charge a little less would be going through your local Community Center. I put my son in Kids Love Soccer when he was four. It is just a basic class to teach the concept of soccer. He enjoyed it.

1 / 3