Options for Miscarriage

Hi Mamas,
We had an ultrasound on Tuesday and the doctor was unable to find a heartbeat and the baby was measuring 6 weeks and I should be 7 weeks. She is quite sure we lost the baby. I have to be sure so they tested my blood levels which are still very high and good. I have another ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow to try to confirm the loss. I should also mention that I have had some light spotting for the last 3 weeks. The doctor discussed our options to remove the baby and I can't decided what to do. I am considering the pills but I am also concerned about the potential pain and was wondering if a D&C would be the better way to go. Please give me your feedback. Thank you.

First, I want to say Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your stories with me. We did in fact lose the baby and I scheduled a D&C but I didn't feel it was the right time. I wanted to give my body a little more time to handle it on it's own. I ended up passing it the next day. A few days later I had an check up appointment and they confirmed I had passed it all. It may sound strange but I was so happy and proud that my body handled it all on it own. It was the right ending for me. I was so scared of the blood and pain but that was not the case for me. I only bleed like a period. No heavy flowing blood and I had cramps every now and then but nothing to bad at all. When I passed the baby I had no pain. We grieved and are now looking to the future. My three year old son has really helped make this easier. Although, I am pretty nervous to get pregnant again but it is better to have loved and lost then never loved at all. God bless you all wonderful mommies!

I'm really sorry to hear you're in this situation. The same thing happened to me about three years ago, including the spotting. It was a very difficult emotional time.
At the time, my doctor also gave me the option of using the pills (misoprostil or Cycotec, combined with a large dose of Motrin and Vicodin). The warning she gave me about "extreme pain" plus the pain killer combination was enough to convince me. I went with the D&C and felt good about that decision.
Another factor that might help you decide is that even with the drugs you may not expel all the tissue and so you'd have to have a D&C anyway.
Neither choice is fun and, again, I'm sorry you're in this position.
A.

First let me say how sorry I am for you-- I had three miscarriages in a row, and it is always saddening, to say the least. I went for the D&C-- it was quick, relatively painless, and let me get on with getting pregnant again. My OB didn't mention a 'pill' option, so I can't compare-- aorry. Oh, and I should mention the D&C required two appointments in one day, whereas I'm guessing the pill option would only be one, or maybe even just a stop by the pharmacy.
Best of luck!

Sweetie, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Something in your post really struck a cord with me though.
Having had miscarriages, I was devastated with my last pregnancy when they told me it wasn't "viable". There was no heartbeat, I spent all day in the ER bleeding and they sent me home with my list of options and appointments to have my pregnancy hormones monitored before moving ahead with however I chose to end it if it didn't just happen naturally in the next couple of days.
Not only did my pregnancy hormones not go down, they more than doubled with the next test and I wound up having a beautiful, perfectly healthy son.
I'm going to say a prayer for you and hope there can still be hope. I really will keep you in my thoughts.
No matter what happens, just be sure to take really good care of yourself.

I see you have a lot of advice already so I will make mine quick. In my situation, I tried to let things happen naturally but they didn't. I opted for the pills because I didn't want to risk the scar tissue from the D&C and prefer to avoid unnecessary surgical procedures. Let me just say, that was one of the most painful things I have been through. It was just like labor. I had very painful contractions every other minute for atleast an hour. I can't exactly remember how long it lasted. I took pain killers and at some point fell asleep. One thing about it, once it was done, it was done. It was painful, but nothing you can't handle. Yes, you are left with the emotional pain, and that takes time. Good luck with your choice. By the way, I now have a wonderful 2 year old daughter.

I am so very sorry to hear about this. I went through this a couple years ago too. I opted for the D&C since I didn't want to have to go through the pain and have to see everything once it came out. The D&C was painless and over with. I would do it again if I had to. Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.

I have gone through a similar situation with my first pregancy. I decided for the D&C. They put me asleep for the procedure. Sometimes they keep you awake in a "twilight" state. It has quick and I recovered quickly with little pain. I pray you are doing well with the emotional side of it. That was the hardest part for me.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Recently I went through the same thing at 6 weeks. I found out I was pregnant and that I'd lost the baby on the same day, so I was pretty shell-shocked. I did choose the pill option and actually it wasn't bad. I felt like it was easier because I got to go home, where I'm more comfortable, and have everything happen there. They prescribed Vicodin, which I took and felt ok. It was nice to have my husband with me also. From what the doctor explained, they would have put me to sleep for the aspiration procedure if I had chosen that route, and the whole idea of that seemed so invasive. (But I guess it would have been overwith right away.) So, my experience with the pill was not bad, considering the situation.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

A.

I have 2 miscarriages. The first one the doctor advised a D&C - and I was so upset I just did whatever she suggested. The second miscarriage I had a different doctor and she didn't suggest anything. So I bled and it was done. I got pregnant the next month with my second child. In retrospect I wish I hadn't had a D&C but I was so devastated (during the first miscarriage) it was hard to think clearly. Good-luck and I'm very sorry for your loss.

i'm sorry about your loss i went thru a similar situation and tried the pills and they didn't work out and eventually had to get the d&c i would say go straight for the d&c. good luck and again im sorry to hear this

1 / 3