Opinions on Paint Color with Dark Brown Leather Couches

Hi Everyone,

In my family room I have beige walls, beige carpet, valance with shades of brown, and dark brown leather couches. My entertainment set is a medium wood color. So... I need advice on selecting a paint color. What color would look really nice with my dark couches and valances? I spent a lot on having the valances made three years ago so I can't get new ones right now. I wish I picked a fabric with more color... but too late! So I am trying to accecorize my entertainment with colorful objects. But... what about the paint? The beige paint is just not doing anything for this family room!
I'd really appreciate your ideas!
Thanks,

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your opinion on what color of paint to use in my family room. I received many great ideas on paint and how to add color in other ways, too. I would have NEVER thought of using a burnt orange. Yet, when I read your suggestions to try a color in the orange family, I got excited picturing how cool that would look in my room with brown couches. I like the green family, but I think the burnt orange will go better with the brown. I can't wait to buy some samples and start painting!

My husband who is a designer/remodeler suggests a sage green or a pewter grey. Good luck! Let us know what you decide on! :)

I am partial to the orange family... Like a nice faded terra cotta looks BEAUTIFUL with chocolate brown. Take a flower pot to the store to match the color (and I also recommend painting a good size swatch on the wall to see what it looks like in different light). Good Luck!!

20 answers, page 1 of 3

We have a very brown living room (walnut stained floors, lots of wood trim) and we used a very light putty color on 3 walls (looks like white) and a dark red on the fireplace wall.

But when I read the description of your room, I thought of an orangish color, which I think would go nice with the brown and the beige carpet. Sort of a bronze/adobe fall brownish orange, if that makes sense.

A tip I've used successfully is to look for a fabric pattern that you really love, and that looks good in the room, and pick a color out of the pattern.

I would go with a burnt orange or a maybe a sage/olive color green - even just on one main wall. And add some decorative pillows to help add color too. I think you should add some accessories first before you paint. That might be all you need.

What about a burnt orange or a khaki/olive green?

I would go with sage, reds, or gold's. We have dark brown leather furniture in our family room. My family room is painted a gold-brown faux finish. The paint color was actually called peanut butter, but with the faux glaze it looks more gold to me. Our family room is off the kitchen which is sage green. I would definitely stay away from light blues they really don't go with the brown leather in my opinion.

I love a light blue (not baby boy's room baby blue...but a light almost grey-blue) paired with brown.
A pretty sage green would go well too.
Good luck, I always have lots of trouble picking too.
You can buy small sample containers and paint some squares on the walls. Colors change a lot in different lighting. I had colors I thought I loved during the day, but by dinner time they looked really different...

There is a really gorgeous house near here that is done in shades of brown on the outside- light brown brick and dark brown shutters. Their door is turquoise and it looks AWESOME!! It's a really popular combo now in stores for clothes and for decorating things (check out pier one and crate and barrel, etc. online to see what I mean.) I would paint the walls a light turquoise and get a couple of cool throw pillows or a throw for the back or arm of the couch, a flower pot or bowl or something and you are all set!

Hi I am a designer and based on your description I would go with colors of the outdoors, golds, olive greens,burnt orange or even a brick red. What's really hot is the slate blue and chocolate brown. I always advise my clients who are not visual people to go into model homes and see what things look like, you can always pick up great ideas in model homes.
Good luck and don't stress because it's really not that hard.

1 / 3