Opinions About Circumcision

I would like to know some opinions about how moms and dads feel about circumcising your sons. I dont know if we are having a boy or girl, but I have to decide on that issue and I am mostly stuck in the middle. I would love to hear what you have to say for or against. Thanks.

I have read evey response and message and I totaly appreciate all of your input. I was actually surprised to find that you all are split about 50/50. I keep leaning towards not cutting because you are given what you are given, and it is such a big deal, not like ears pierced, then I hear about the boys and men who have problems later (for whatever reason) and have to have it done, and it is horrible. So then I have the dilema (guilt?), what if that situation happens later in life and he has the problem, pain, expense and maybe embarrassment if they are elderly (or not)? I would like to hear from the men/boys. Where can I get stories from them without stopping men on the street? Are there men who are cut who have similar problems as uncut men? Feel free to keep sending your thoughts. Thanks again. Your sharing is valuable. (watch, i'll have a girl...)(also, my hubby doesnt really have an opinion, strange as that may be. i get to learn and educate him...)

L., I also did not know if I was having a boy or girl. We made the desision to have my son circumsied for many reasons but the closing one was to look like dad. Dad being a sons main same sex role model we thought that it was important that they were the same. We hope that it will lead to less questions now (ie. potty training and baths) and better bonding and discussions later (personnel care and sex). Do what you are most comfortable with.

It was around twenty years ago the the American Academy of Pediatrics started to consider changing its pro-routine circumcision policy. In 1999, they officially stopped recommending routine circumcision. Here is the first sentence of their new policy:

"Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision."

The policy continues with details about circumstances in which circumcision is recommended or contraindicated.

do it! unless there is a religious reason not to. it's clean and better for him socially and if you are concerned about the pain he will feel (I was) it may make you feel better to know that my son didn't even cry. they give him a local and the pain is minimal. They brought my son back to me 5 minutes after the circumcision and he was sleeping and just fine. I'm very happy we did it.

I have 2 boys (3.5 and 1.5). Both are uncircumcised. We have had zero issues with UTIs or any health concerns. I hope that later in life they won't be the only uncircumcised boys in the locker room... I think that Mothering magazine still has articles online re: circumcision. Check out www.mothering.com. There was an entire issue dedicated to the subject a few years ago and I think you can order a copy. They will make a strong case against circumcision.

R.

We have one son who we are adopting who was not circumcised and a baby who we had circumcised. Physical appearance didn't have much of an impact on our decision. I researched it for a long time before having the surgery done and I was there when it was done.

First of all, those people who say it will have more enjoyment for your son if it stays intact can't really say that for sure since they haven't had it both ways. When I was researching it, the MEN's stories were what tipped the scales for me. Here is what they said in summary. All had been circumcised as adults for medical reasons. All had had sex previously and felt that it was better after being circed. All had wished they had been circed as a baby because recovery time is MUCH quicker and as a baby there is far fewer nerve endings down there so it hurts much less.

I also took into account the MANY stories of people who worked at nursing homes/care centers and had to work with older men or those who were incapable of taking care of themselves properly for whatever reason and had to be circed at 80 years old because they were unable to clean themselves properly and got UTI's. And the stories of small boys who had to have it done because of UTI's and having it hurt much worse and being a much larger medical procedure/cost for a 5 year old boy vs a newborn.

Also, the rate of penile cancer is lower among circumcised men (even if it is not significantly lower...it is still lower).

Here is what the American Association of Pediatrics says about it: http://www.aap.org/publiced/br_circumcision.htm

They do not recommend circumcision for everyone, however they do state that there are medical benefits for having it done.

In the end it came down to did I want to risk having my adult son go through MUCH more pain or did I want to take care of it while there was still very little pain involved.

We had my son's done...it healed in 3 days...he didn't feel any pain because it was anesthetized and he didn't act like he was in pain afterwards. He cried the most because they had to strap him down to do the surgery (I did hate seeing that). He immediately stopped crying as soon as they unstrapped him. And he nursed just fine afterwards. After it was done, I kept a bunch of Vaseline on it while it was healing (A BUNCH...went through 4 squeeze tubes in 3 days) and I just make sure I can see the rim of it clearly when I change his diaper.

Also, having experience with an uncircumcised boy, I can say he has already had it irritated several times because it wasn't cleaned properly--especially when he was potty training. My circumcised son has not had any problems.

I'm not saying it was painless or that it was easy for me to watch. But I still feel I made the right choice... sometimes doing what is best for your child isn't easy.

While we don't have boys...yet :).....we have discussed it. My husband is circumcised and so will our son. We decided it is easiest to look like Daddy.

Hi, L. ~

You've gotten SO many responses, at this point mine hardly seems worth the effort. But in glancing over the existing posts, I haven't seen our issue addressed, so let's do it.

I had my firstborn son circumcised at his father's request, since I didn't know anything about it. The only reference I'd ever seen was biblical (and by the way, God only required it under the Old Covenant, not after Jesus's sacrifice), and I wasn't even sure what it entailed. So we did it without too much talk or thought. Then when our second son was born, there was no decision to be made. But when the doctor wheeled my baby back into the room and said she couldn't complete the circumcision because of a condition called hypospadias. The condition is no great big deal if you get it taken care of early. My baby had surgery at 6 months to repair the hypospadias and complete the circumcision. But I'm glad it was caught when it was. Who knows how long it would have gone unchecked had we not done the circumcision.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It's a very personal decision based on personal preference. :)

Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy the daylights out of him or her!

~ R.

All I can say is that my DH is uncircumcised and the sex is soooo much better than with circumcised men. In this day and age, with regular hygiene as it is, it is archaic. In many countries, Europe and Australia, it is no longer the norm. I remember my brother saying the only time he had been naked in front of other people (Sauna in Finland) was when he was conscious of being the ONLY circumcised guy around. Being naked in front of other people other than your SO doesn't ever happen in the US :-P If you have a boy, IMO, I'd spare him the hurt :D

I know this is kind of old, I don't know if you had a son or not but here is another issue. I have 2 boys and both are circumcised. The catch is, my insurance company wouldn't pay for it. We have deductables ($300.00 per person, $500 for family) So I had to pay for the circs out of pocket. $280.00. I was told by the doctor that most insurance companies do not cover that at all so many people who can't afford it do not have it done. AHCCCS does not cover it but they will cover it when it becomes infected.
The way I look at it: My second son was "tounge-tied." It was not extreme, but we had his frenulum (the thing that ties the tongue to his mouth) snipped at 3 months. Tounge-tie is a fairly common thing but if you don't do it when they are young, they have to be anethsetized when they are a little older to have it snipped. My cousin's son is 3 and they are now having major surgery for something a doc should have done when he was an infant. I think to have these things done when they are younger is just preemptive medicine.

Do it. Just be sure you have a doctor who is comfortable doing it. My son's pediatrician seemed to prefer not doing it but since we decided to do it, she did. I think she took a little bit too much off (just my guess, seeing other baby boys) but I dont have any regrets having my son circumcised.

When we had our son we knew right away would would have that done to our son. The main reason was my husbands parents were from Germany where you just didnt do it. Well when my husband turned 14 and was having to change clothes and stand at a urinal with other teens it became a huge issue. As funny as this my sound. When my husband was 14 his christmas present was to be circumsised!!!!! for us it was a no brainer!!

1 / 3