Online Schools

I am wanting to return to school. I am looking at online schools, due to the fact that I am a single mom and I have a 45+ hour work week. Has anyone had experiance with any online school? I am going for Web Design or a Associates in Early Childhood Education. Any ideas or advice?

Thank you all for your advise and info. I am going with Kaplan University. I am starting with my Associates in Information Technology, with emphasis in Web Design. All of the responses were helpful and greatly appraciated. Thanks again. You are all great.

I go through Penn Foster and have been very happy with them. I have already received one certificate from them and am going for two more. Just go to Pennfoster.edu and you can look up all of the degrees/certificates they offer. Good luck!

Hi R.!

I too was a single mother of a very active 3 yo when I decided I wanted to go back to school. I went through the University of Phoenix to achieve my Bachelor of Science in Accounting. I will forewarn that it is a tough program if they still run it they way they did when I went there 5 years ago. Basically, all the classes are accelerated. You take a 16-week course in 5 weeks. You are then off one week before your next course starts. I opted to take the max number of days off without losing my financial aid during the summer so I could spend it with my son.

As a single mother, I did receive financial aid and some grant money as well. So I would suggest that you look into that. When I start, UOP was 1 of the only online schools that had financial aid.

I will tell you that you MUST be disciplined in YOURSELF. It takes ALOT of self-control and MANY LONG NIGHTS!!!

But in the end...it's all worth it to have your little one see you walk across that stage in that black gown and cap.

Good Luck to you!

I have only done one online class. At first it is a little getting used to how to log on and turn in assinments, but if you attend the orientation for that - they should answer any questions you have. Also, I would cut back hours if possible to allow some time for class. I also have two kids and am going to school but I don't work full time. It is challenging but rewarding and not as bad as you think going back and being older (for me anyway- 30) You fall into school work better then you might think, I have been more serious now. Good Luck- and go for it. Try one online class anyway and see how it goes- start with doing the fasa online and get you financial aid going.

I took the web administration & development program at Macomb Community College - it was online and wonderful. It gives you an associates degree.

Hi R.,

I received my MBA from the University of Michigan - Flint, seems like a hundred years ago. Anyway, when I was finishing they were starting more and more online courses. A few years ago my husband started looking into getting his MBA and at that time they had a full time online MBA program. I know they have many other programs available at the school, and since UofM tends to be pretty progressive, I'm guessing they have several available options for online learning. I really enjoyed the online classes I took with them. It was convenient and easy.

And, if I might add...I would really look into the Web Design career. Although Early Childhood Education is great... 1) I don't think you're goinig to find a lot of online programs for that, or at the very least you will have to do a full time internship at the end. (My father and BIL are both in education, so I know alot about the requirements) Also, due to Michigan's economy, many of the schools are seeing a drop in student population because people are moving out of state. Consequently, there aren't many jobs in education in Michigan and I think it will stay that way for awhile. In my BIL's district they just announced they are laying off 35 teachers for the fall... and only expect to be able to call 10 back! Thankfully my BIL is in Special Education... so he still has a job.

However.... things with computers.... that is a growing, and will continue to be a growing field. Not that finding a job won't be tough.... but they will be more available then education in the forseeable future.

Congrats and good luck!

I went to University of Phoenix, but it wasn't online, however I only had to attend classes twice a week and they were at night (6p-10p) It was a great experience and the only way I would have been able to get my Bachelors degree.

I received my MA from Ball State all online. My only advice is to find a college/school that exists in real life. See if you can find a school that puts all of the courses online!

I returned to school this past February to finish my bachelor's degree in hotel/restaurant management. I "attend" the Art Institute of Pittsburgh's Online Division and I think it is a great way to take classes! They are very knowledgeable with financial aid and the online format is VERY user-friendly.

There are no set class times; you only have to contribute to the classroom discussion threads 4 times a week... but it doesn't matter if it is 2:00 in the afternoon or 3:00 in the morning! It does take a bit of discipline and organization to make sure you get the reading done and assignments finished on time, but I really haven't had any problems there.

I hope you find a program that fits what you're looking for!!

Good for you!! I am signing up with Henry Ford Community Colleges online classes this fall. My sister took psychology through the online course with them and she really liked it. Their website is hfcc.edu. I know they offer both the courses your looking for. Good luck!!

1 / 3