One Year Old with Diarrhea

My daughter is almost 14 months and has had terrible diarrhea for the last four days. We took her to the doctor today and he said there is a bug going around, other than the diarrhea she was okay (no fever or dehydration) and to call back in a couple days if it continued. I was hoping other moms could give me advice on any food I can give her to possibly help. The doc suggested bread and other fibers, but that has not worked so far. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

I asked for advice on this subject a few months back when my three had some bug for about two months. My ped. told me to get them a happy meal at McDonalds. She said the grease would coat things and make things bind. Hopefully also takeing the bug with it but no promises.

I don't remember the age, but my daughter had consistent diarrhea and accompanying diaper rash when she was teething heavily. The older wiser daycare lady said it was from all the extra saliva? You could try more binding foods, like bananas, cereals, dairy?

Hi Shay-

Stay away from any dairy products. They can truly make it worse. Like others have said below, the BRAT diet is good. Also, she may not want a whole lot to eat, which is pretty normal, but you might also try some oatmeal. It is fiber rich and can help with the diarrhea. My daughter loves it. I am referring to regular oatmeal, not toddler oatmeal. And just try to get her to take in fluids. Good luck

I always stick w/ the "BRAT" diet. Banana's, rice, apples and toast. Also, yogurt is good, but stay away from if she has a cough, will only make things worse phlegm-wise.

A.

Hello Shay,

My kids are a bit older than your's but I have been through this. I remember when my son had this problem, I gave him cheese. Any kind of cheese and it took about a day but it cleared right up. I found for my son that the little block cheeses work best. You can cut them into little cubes. I think Kraft has a type that is already cut into cubes so that would be very convenient. Good luck!

If you can still get her to eat baby cereal give her some rice cereal and bananas, try to stay away from juice for a few days.

BRAT diet- Bananas, rice, applesauce, and tea!!!

I have heard rice water works well. Make a small pot of non-instant rice and before it is done cooking take some of the water out. I think the starches in from the rice help bind things up and the H2O will keep her hydrated.

Also probiotics (Acidophilus, bifidus, etc.)you can find in the regrigerated wupplement section of the natural food store. They come in capsules - I separate the capsule and add half of the powder to applesause, smashed banana, or yogurt (it is the bacteria in most yogurt but a higher dosage) 2 times per day. This helps restore the natural bacteria in the stomach and intestines and will help her system get back to normal.

All the other advice seems good too!

Offer unlimited fluids---give water or 1/4 strength Kool-Aid or 1/2 strength Gatorade. Avoid all fruit juices and soft drinks---it will make the diarrhea worse.

Starchy foods are absorbed best. Give dried cereals, oatmeal, bread, crackers, noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, carrots, applesauce, bananas, yogurt etc. Pretzels or salty crackers can help meet sodium needs.

You can also give 2-6 oz. of active culture yogurt twice a day to restore healthy bacteria to GI tract.

Best wishes.

The best thing to do is the brat diet-bannana rice applesauce and toast. No milk, apple juice is the best. Try really hard to just eat those things and it really does help.

I have noticed that with the kids I nanny for, that banana's have worked really well with stopping the diarrhea.
Also cheerios helped to, just dry ones out of the box.
hope this helps good luck:)
Jen

1 / 3