One More Poop up the Back and I'm Running Away from Home!

Hi Moms,

I'm about to lose my mind! For the FOURTH time this week, my one-year-old daughter has pooped in her diaper and it has gone shooting up her back. She hasn't had any new foods for about 10 days and the consistency of the poop hasn't changed (sorry!). My first thought was that maybe her diaper is too small, but she's only 22.5 pounds and is wearing a size 5 diaper which is for 27+ pounds. Before anyone asks, she's in a size 5 because she was over 95th percentile for weight back in December at her 9 month pedi check. She's now in the 70th percentile but she's all belly and thighs (like me, sadly!) so the diaper seems to fit her well. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks!!

That happened all the time to me with my son...I stuffed a few cotton balls in his bum crack and it helped control the flow a little and was soft enough that he did not feel it...good luck!!

M.,

I wouldn't go by what the manufacturer says is the weight of the diaper but how it fits your daughter. Are you sure that she is pooping up the back when she goes your when you put her on the changing pad? I have noticed that sometimes if I lay my daughter down from her bottom to her top the poop can get pushed out the top but if I set her down from the top of her back down to her bottom the poop stays in the diaper. Just a thought.

L. M

Been there, done that...With 4 children. GET BIGGER DIAPERS!
Works most every time. Night time and long car rides are most important.
Sue

I agree with Susan, try going up a size. I had the same problem throught the first year of my son's life and everytime I went up a size the problem went away. You can only use the weight on the package as a general guide I have found. Each child is different therefor the same daiper will fit each child very differently. My son has been wearing a size 6 since around 1 years old. He is not overweight or unportional. My 3 year old nephew and 20 month old son are in the same size, so like I said you can't just by the weight you have to see them on and how they fit. I would buy a small pack of bigger diapers and give it a try, if it doesn't solve the problem, no real money lost because you will use them at some point.

My son used to do that as an infant. At some point he transitioned from explosive, loose b.m.s to constipation. When he was age 4 I realized he had food intolerances. That solved his unexplained vomitting and constant nightmares. So my guess is maybe your daughter has a food intolerance. I noticed that the major brand baby foods contain some form of starch as thickeners, such as corn starch. That might be a possiblity. Don't know if there are baby foods that don't add this.

: ) Maureen

My daughter is only 2.5 months (big difference I know), but I love Seventh Generation diapers. I tried others, the poop always came out the back. SG has a well designed elastic that stops poop in its tracks. Very rarely does it leak out the back, only when I happen to be holding her, thus 'squeezing' her bum and not leaving anywhere for the poop to go. Pampers would leak right out the back no matter what.

By any chance are you feeding her apricots? That used to happen to my son whenever I fed him that.

Just because she hasn't had any new foods doesn't mean it isn't food that's doing it. It amazes me that people don't know you can develop food allergies and intolerances at anytime. The first thing I would suggest is try taking her off all dairy and see if that helps, generally I say go up a size in diapers but I would say drop down a size my son is 2 yrs old and weighs 26 lbs and still fits comfortably in a size 3 diaper, and third try another brand of diapers it may be that the brand you are using is not a proper fit they don't all fit the same or every child the same way.

1 / 3