One Month Old with Terrible Gas Pains

My one month old son has terrible gas pains. We have tried everything we can think of -- formula changes (he is now on Soy), mylicon drops before every feeding, gripe water..... Also, he does have a little bit of acid reflux, so he is on medication for that too. He is only sleeping during the day for short bursts-- like 20-30 minutes. At night we can get him to sleep about 3-4 hours, but he wakes up crying in terrible pain. He seems to only get comfort from holding him tummy to tummy or laying on his tummy on my chest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! We are exhausted and I hate seeing my baby boy in pain all the time.

Hi C.
ust had baby 6 months ago myself. Have a wonderful Ped-holistic dr.. Dr miles at progressive pediatirics on Beach and parental.
She recommended pro-biotics (for babies from health food store.) Please call her and make an appt. or leave a question on her message soemone will call you back to try and help you.
Pro-biotics worked for me.. I took them too as i am still breastfeeding.. Also, I rolled a blanket for back support and laid her on her side.. and since she was sleeping under ceiling fan.. I would lay on belly-,when she was around 5.5 months-mostly her side until she was old enough to lift her head..
she never like sleeping on her back and even today does not unless her legs are elevated.. that helps too.

My third son had this same issue. We found that bicycling his legs worked well. Also, I would take a recieving blanket and put in the microwave for 20 seconds. I would fold it over my arm and lay my son on my forearm face down. After a few minutes of holding him this way, the gas would usually come out and he would be so content.

I had good luck with camomile tea. It is safe to give infants. I would suggest going to a local herbalist for more information. Hope this helps.
Good Luck,

My little one had a lot of gas, too. What helps is pushing her legs back and forth up to his chest and back down, but alternating them (like riding a bicycle). It helps get everything moving and you will probably hear gas bubbles coming out. Also, make sure you burp him a lot while feeding him. Check the angle that you are feeding him, as well. Babies with gas problems should be fed at a bit of a higher head position. Hope your little guy gets better soon.

C.,

Hi, sorry that your little one is having problems. I had similar problems with my second son. I eventually ended up in the emergency room one night because he was in so much pain and couldn't keep the formula down. I found out that he had a lot of air bubbles trapped and that I was not burping him the right way. Here as an experienced mom I thought I had it figured out but I guess not. What you might try and it worked wonders for my son and we had no problems from that point and I didn't have to resort to Mylicon drops or switching formulas is the following and this came directly from the hospital. Hold the baby in a sitting position to eat, try bottles that allow the air to escape and the MOST IMPORTANT IS THE FOLLOWING: WHEN BURPING THE BABY CUP YOUR HAND TO BURP HIM. I know is sounds odd, but the cupping sensation helps the trapped bubbles come to the surface and escape and allows him to burp. Let me tell you when I did it there in the hospital the eleviate some of the trapped bubbles while doing the ultrasound they did on my son before and after there was a big difference. Just using a flat palm didn't make any difference.

Hope this helps. That is the only way I burped my 3rd son and we never had any problems.

35 y/o SAHM of 3 boys
13, 6 and 3

Hi, my is N. My oldest son was like that too. My mother in-law told me at that time to massage him with a little bit ofcoooking oil. U r going to warm it a little bit ( like the warm of yr hang) then u r going to massage on his stomach from the his belly buttom to the opening of his stomach. Then u r going to do it for 2 or 3 mins in the evening before u put him down to sleep. He has gasthritis. ( u must massage his stomachfrom opening of stomach to the belly and then around back up) try it He may feel better). U can give him a little bit of water with salt (a pic) and a bit of sugar so it go taste mix together and give him some in stead of milk. Please dont take the milk away he needs that. my son is now a military he 21 yrs old and he dosnt drink milk since he was 6 months so please try new things but now so fast because the stomach will not get better. Hope he uhe feel better soon. take care. bye.

I would recommend chiropractic or cranial sacral. It helps tremendously with reflux and abdominal pain. He has a disturbance in his nervous system somewhere that is not allowing his body to function as it is supposed to. It is very very gentle and has lots of benefits. Also, soy is not good for babies, especially boys. It has an estrogen affect and can interfere with his hormones. Try any other hypoallergenic that you can.

All the best,

There is something in the grocery store in the spice section call dillseed/or dillweed. it is very good and gives little ones relief especially the younger one. You boil it and give it to him as a tea. it's a natural remedy used by many in the caribbean. Also Mint is good as well.

I'm a mom of two, a 12 year old and 4 year old and I've been there with all the gas. We grow dill seed in most caribbean countries.

Hi C.

Hi C.. I am a 75 yo grandmother, mother of 4. For generations in our family we have used fennel seed tea for colic. Bye some fennel seed at the grocery store. Boil 2 tsp. in 2 cups water just like you were making tea. Add a tiny bit of sugar and let cool.Put it in a bottle just like you were offering the baby water. Warm it a little so it will be more soothing. It has worked in our family for 4 generations. Hope this helps.

B..

1 / 3