Older Parents of Young Children

I am not very likely to have any biological grandchildren. I would like to think that I could raise one last little person. Have any of you adopted when you were over 50?

Dear L.;
I am not 50, but I am 44 and have just adopted a 2 year old. My children are 25 and 22. I don't know if I will have any grandchildren or not, but my husband and I have been fostering for 9 years and decided to adopt this 2 year old that we have had for 1 and a half years. I was the child of older parents also. My dad was 44 when I was born and my mom was 37. My parents didn't do much with me as far as physical things, but they didn't with my three older brothers either. I am the baby. I did however spend time with them going to musical events, and picnics and things like that. I have a wonderful childhood and greatly appreciate all of the time that they did spend with me. I don't think that anything was missing just because my parents were older. I hope that this helps you. My husband and I may be adopting 2 other small children, so as long as you can do it, I say go for it. D. G

Go for it! I am 50 years old and have a 5 year old biological daughter. I may not be able to run as fast as the younger mothers, but I don't think my daughter really cares. All that she cares about is that she has parents who love and support her. There are so many children out there who need a loving, stable environment. They don't care how old you are.

When it comes to raising kids, I'd always vote for love over longevity. My mom was 42 when I was born and passed away when I was 28. As I told her when she was sick -- I'd rather have had a fantastic mom for 28 years than a mediocre one for 50-60. Worry about having the energy and love for another child, maybe, but don't worry about your age.

Dear L.;

I think the world needs more people like you.
You maynot be around for the whole term of this child's adult life but let me tell you I know so many parent who are alive and aren't real "parents".

I thin adopting is a great way, maybe bring in a foster child who looks like may be up for adoption or just sign up for adoption.

I know my MIL would be a good mom today but didn't do the right thing for she stayed with a raging alcoholic who beat her and her kids for years.... and I know there a lot of factors involved but she is in such a better place in her life today, she'd be a wonderful mom - I can say she's a fabulous grandmother but she does get very very tired chasing my little ones around - I do too ;) but she gets worn out big time. Especially the sleepless nights so just get 'mentally prepared'.

I do not know about adopting or fostering - but I had my last 2 children when I was 41 and 43. My husband was 52 and 54. If you feel you have the energy and your health is in order - it is very enjoyable to parent later in life when you are past the stresses of day to day living.

I think that if you feel you can raise a child, emotionally and physically, go for it! The world needs adults who are emotionally stable, have goals, respect, etc., and the only way to get adults like that is to raise them from children.

My parents raised me to respect all people, help if I can, be considerate of others' feelings/belongings, NOT lie, cheat or steal and so on. I am appalled by how (many) children are being raised these days and often wonder why people do not see the correlation between their (lack of) parenting and their childrens bratty, selfish, manipulative and disrespectful behavior. Not only would you be helping a child in need of a family but you could (possibly) be helping out all of mankind!

If you and your husband can handle all the challenges of having a child - especially an adopted one - then by all means do it. You never know what kind of help you can be giving a child by letting them in your home and heart.

Case in point: My sister had a classmate who had some severe language problems (due to fetal alcohol syndrome and being exposed to drugs prenatally). He would scream at the top of his lungs every morning and especially worse on Mondays. (His brother did the same thing.) When his mother gave him (and his brother) up, they went to an older couple (in their 70's). Working with the teachers, they figured out that before they were adopted, the only meals they were getting were at school, so they only had breakfast and lunch during the week and absolutely nothing on the weekends. Once the older couple had them, their behavior completely changed so that they could participate at school more, they were happier.

think carefully if you have the financial, emotional, & physical resources to care for another child, whether newborn or older child. If you feel you do, then by all means go for it! there are so many kids in this world that need a home & love.

1 / 3