Old Prescription Bottles - What Do You Do with Them?

Just curious - my daughter and I both have prescriptions we take every month. The bottles have our names, address, the name of the medication, the prescription number, the pharmacy, etc., on them. So I've been trying to black out that information with a permanent marker and then throwing them in the trash. What do all you mamas do with your old prescription bottles?

Peel the sticker off the plastic bottle. Throw sticker in the trash. Throw the plastic bottle in the recycle bin.

Rip off the label and recycle the bottle.

I remove and shred or cut up the labels and toss the bottles. By the way, I h have heard and read that one should not reuse old prescription bottles to hold other other items, even after washing them; the plastic can absorb stuff. My father-in-law uses old camera film containers (the small round plastic kind -- remember when cameras actually needed rolls of film?!) to hold his daily pill doses and I'm trying to get him to stop, having been told by a doctor that that's even worse--chemicals from the film get into the plastic container itself.

I peel the labels off and toss them generally. We keep a couple around for when we travel (I don't like to take our whole bottles if we still have a month left, but also don't like Rx just floating around in a baggie or something).

hmm, add that to the list of stuff I never gave much thought to before, but apparently was doing wrong!

I just toss them in the trash... I have to give birth dates to get them filled & pick them up. Plus, my pharmacy staff knows us, so I don't think they would give them to anyone else.

But why is your address on the bottles? Ours have our names, medication name (both generic & name brand), script #, pharmacy info (name, address, & number) and the Doc's info (name & phone #). But without our birthday dates - no one can use them. And even if they call the doc office or the pharmacy... if they give out info without my approval - they can be sued for breach of HIPPA & possibly loss they rights to provide service.

Plus, if someone is willing to dig through the nasty a** trash to find my pill bottles - more power to them. They can dig through all the poopy diapers, rotten food, and all the other nasty stuff - just to find pill bottles that can't do anything for them but stop a few allergy symptoms, thin blood or reduce inflammation cause the "good" bottles don't have refills - you need a new script every month.

Peel and recycle

If peeling is too time consuming soak in water first

Our local pharmacy will shred them for free & then they recycle the plastic

1 / 3