Old Dog Urine on the Walls and Hard Wood Floors

I have old dog urine on the walls and hardwood floors
I did clean it up, but it stills smells very bad
How do I get rid of this smell without using expensive products

I found this solution for dog urine online a while back. I used it to clean up after my son whose aim was bad :). I tried the expensive pet enzyme stuff and it didn't work. This worked like a charm. I used this on walls and tile floor. My friend also used this when her dog had an accident and she said it worked great for her too (she was cleaning carpet). Mix a solution of water and vinegar 50/50. Scrub the area with the vinegar (don't worry once it dries your house will no longer small like a pickle). Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Next shake a healthy amount of baking soda on top...I was trying to clean some odd areas so I sprinkled the soda on my scrub brush and scrubbed it in. Let it bubble and work for a while.. I think I left it for 30 minutes. It may be completely dried when you come back. Then come and sweep/ mop up the vinegar and baking soda. (Some people suggested pouring a mixture of peroxide and dish soap over the baking soda mixture. I did not do this step because hydrogen peroxide may discolor some things).

I think maybe cleaning over and over until the smell is gone and keeping the area well ventilated. You don't have to get expensive products, good old hot water/bleach mix or a multipurpse cleaner that won't mess with the paint on your walls. Spray it on and scrub scrub scrub. Like I said you might have to repeat a few times.

Biokleen makes a natural enzyme cleaner called BAC-out, which will quickly neutralize the smell. It also works on any organic stain, so an awesome product to have in the cupboard for taking stains out of carpeting, furniture and clothing.

I have to second the water/vinegar mix with baking soda. It works and is cheap and is non-toxic for you, your family and your pets. Don't use bleach! It does nothing but add a lot of toxic chemicals into your household and the smell will still be there!

Hello, Recently, our daughter and her baby and dog moved out. Her dog had been urinating all over our home. My sister-in-law manages apartments and told me that when we pulled up the carpet, to paint the floor with Kilz. You can't do this on your hardwood floors, but you can paint it on your walls and then paint with whatever color you want. As far as the wood floors, I wish you luck. We pulled up the carpet and put in laminate through the kitchen, laundry, dining, family and living rooms. Then we had new carpet installed in the bedrooms. It looks and smells so good now.
K. K.

white vinegar and/or make a paste of baking soda, let sit, rinse.

You can sand the hardwood floor and then apply a finish. That is what a carpet cleaner suggested that I do. For the wall, have you tried painting it with the paint used to cover water stains? Then paint the whole wall if the difference is obvious.

I'm guessing that since it still smells very bad the dog has peed there often over time and the pee has sunk into the wood and wall material. If so, whatever you use to clean it with has to also sink in that deep.

1 / 3