Ok to Use Baby Lotion?

I have a 1 month old and was wondering if it's ok to use baby lotion on him. He's colicky, and we have this Johnson's lotion that we wanted to try massaging him with, but I don't remember if we were told not to until a certain age (and pediatrician's office is closed today)...Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Thank you all for your advice!! :) I will pay close attention to any product I put on my little one...I really appreciate all the help!

I think it's fine but if you want to massage him with an oil, safflower oil is really good and doesn't clog their pores like baby oil and isn't toxic if swallowed.

yes it is ok. yes they do say don't use them till 3 months old on them but i used them when the babies was that little. if anything call the ER and ask them but i hope the best of luck. i have 5 kids and i have used everything from birth on. when i was a new mom i was scared to use anything when it says not to do something but if anything call the ER if you are really scared.

Cetaphil is great, unflavored olive oil is good for massage, I've used both. Olive oil also worked to make cradle cap go away, just for future reference (rub a little on, let it sit for a couple minutes and comb out the gunk)!

I was always covering my kids with lotion. Just loved the smell.lol I had one with colic. I used gas drops and (heat)a heating pad on the belly. I would lay the pad (lowest setting)on my knees and the belly on that and pat her butt. That helped for most of her cranky spells and also keep her from wanting held all the time. I was told to do this from my husbands grandmother who was the daughter of a indian medicine man. I was game to try anything at that point. I was 22 and wonder why in the world I ever wanted another child. Now 4 children total I remember why I wanted to be a mom. Playing with my Grandson reminds me even more. I know it's rough but hang in there it's going to turn out fine 25 years from now.

Be careful of anything scented, it can really irritate. You're better off with natural oils (especially around those hands he's bound to put in his mouth).
On another note...have you had him checked for reflux? Our baby screamed for hours each night until we put him on Zantac and it made a world of difference. He never did appreciate being lotioned up.

My oldest is 25 years old and I used baby lotion on all my babies from the time they were tiny (just days old). Your baby would love the massage, use the lotion!

I have used baby lotion right from the start on all my kids. I know that my clients have used it right away too.

Are you talking about the J&J one thst is lavender to relax that you want to use to massage? I loved that one. You can massage with any of them. I did this with my son all the time and still do. He is 4 and has a seizure disorder and we are getting him diagnosed now with Autism too. It is very good for their little systems. I hope this helps.

S. bailey CLD
Aurora
www.tendermomentsdoula.com

I would keep in mind that anything with alcohol or fragrance may aggravate the skin. I just recently put baby lotion on my 4 yr olds face and he screamed because the alcohol burned his wind chapped skin. I had never really used baby lotion on him and upon looking I saw it had alcohol. If you really want to use a lotion just look for something as natural as possible and alcohol free. Good Luck!

We used lotion on our little one from the day she was born. You can also use oil for massage. Not baby oil though. Get something that had been cold pressed. I think we have grape seed oil. You can get it at most grocery stores. We took a baby massage class and they recommended the oil over the lotion. It works great as a moistruizer too. Do you have any baby massage classes you can attend? They really are great!

1 / 3