o.k. To Give 7-UP to a 28 Month Toddler Having Diarrhea?

Hello, my boy is having diarrhea most likely due to stomach virus. I called in a doctor's office and the nurse said give him a clear liquid and one of the example was 7-UP. My boy does not like any other liquid but he seems liking 7-UP although we have never given him carbonated soda like that before. When I was sick with diarrhea, one of the food on "NO" list was carbonated soda. So I am confused now. Is it o.k. for a toddler having diarrhea drinking 7-UP (carbornated soda)? Many Thanks!

yes. It is a special treat (sugary drinks are pretty special to a little kid- and you're right to avoid them normally) but when a baby is losing fluid like with diarrhea, any kind of clear fluid intake is a good idea. Also, his body loses minerals through fever and liquid loss in the stool, which can be dangerous. 7-up and sprite have electrolytes that will keep his heart pumping.

I used it copiously when my dd had dysentary. I got it in the hospital when I was a kid, too, I remember.

A little 7 - up is probably ok (regular, not diet!). However I would go with ginger ale instead or Pedialyte - but some kids don't like Pedialyte so you should try both. He should also eat rice, bananas, bread... that will help too.

Soft drinks are not good for stomach flu. The sugar in soft drinks and some juices can actually make the child queasier, make diarrhea worse and can cause dehydration.

As the previous poster suggested, Pedialyte is the way to go. They also make frozen pops as well...good for fevers and cooling the child down. If you don't have Pedialyte handy, Gatorade is okay because it helps prevent dehydration. Otherwise water is the next best thing. Also avoid milk if possible, since this can further upset a stomach as well.

The key is to avoid dehydration...so clear drinks and liquids are best. Chicken broth at meal-time is good and saltine crackers until his tummy settles is good for meal-time.

Natural lemoniade water made with a squirt of lemon juice and some xylitol is a much better option. Plus xylitol kills bacteria and fungus. Lemon juice is an acid BUT it restores alkaline balance. Xylitol is a natral sweetner much like sugar but without the bad effects of sugar. Heat a bit of water , add the xylitol and strir for a few minutes so that it will melt well, then add some lemon juice and cool it with ice cubes.

Seperately, you should be giving the child probiotics, like lactobaccilus and accidophilus.

I would stay away from the 7-up myself. My kids wont touch pedialite so we used gatorade until the last time they were sick and I used coconut water. It has electrolites and is supposed to be antiviral. The illnesses were very mild and short lived compared to what was going around that we thought they had. Coconut water comes in different flavors. They liked it.
Hope your little one feels better soon!
~K.

No, the nurse was mistaken. 7-Up is great for vomiting because it's initially soothing to an upset stomach. However, soda has TONS of sugar which will just make diarrhea worse.

Any kind of soda is not going to help. Plain water is the best you can do. Especially if he will take a little chicken noodle soup or other slightly salty food.

In my opinion, pedialite is over used and should not be used unless expressly suggested by a pediatrician.

7-Up might still be considered okay to settle an upset stomach, but I would think that the high fructose corn syrup would exacerbate the diarrhea. Regular corn syrup is often given in bottles of formula to help with constipation--I can't imagine how HFCS wouldn't have the same effect.

Unless a child is showing signs of dehydration, plain water is still the best thing for them. Especially if they are able to eat.

If he can keep down food, the BRAT diet will help bulk up his bowels and slow things down a bit. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast (dry toast, crackers, etc). If solids aren't an option just yet, you can boil rice in water for about 20 minutes, strain, and cool. The rice liquid will have much the same effect. Plain yogurt will also help counteract the diarrhea.

My daughter also likes a little warm tea when she isn't feeling well. Peppermint is soothing and has a nice flavor without needing much (if any) sweetening.

The key is to offer fluids and food frequently but in small amounts. Even if her only takes a sip or bite every 15 minutes, it will be easier on his system.

Good luck...we just did the 24-hours bug and it is never any fun.

1 / 3