Odd Ongoing Rash on 6 Month Old's Face

Hi moms! At around 3 1/2 months old my daughter developed a small, roundish, red, rough, rash on her cheek. When I took her to her 4 month check-up I asked the ped and she said it looked like it was just eczema and to put aquaphor ointment on it a couple times a day. Well, a month and a half passed and there was no change in the rash. It never seemed to bother her and she had no other symptoms so I didn't think much of it but I went ahead and called the ped back and she wanted to see it again. She said she still thought it was eczema even though she didn't have it anywhere else on her body and that it didn't look like ringworm but if the hydrocortizone cream didn't work then she would treat it as ringworm. My daughter was prescribed the lowest grade hydrocortizone cream which she told me to use on her once daily for 5-7 days. This helped the redness slightly but that is about it, so I called her back and she decided she would give her lotrimin. I believe this is some kind of anti-fungal cream. I used it on her for three days and it just burnt her little face up. She got upset when I put it on her and it looks worse than ever now. Its more red, more rough and even seems to be raw in the center. I'm afraid now I did more damage than good. I just hope its not going to scar her face. The ped said to discontinue use of everything and to only wash it with dove soap and water for the next 6 days until the ped sees her again. What in the world could this be? I don't think the ped has any idea either. Has any one had anything like this on their child? I've got to figure out what this could be because it is not going away on its own! Please help mommas!

My daughter has the exact same thing. I had tried everything and finally found an eczema cream put out by disney. It is in a blueish-green bottle and it says eczema cream on the front. They also have a body wash. I saw a huge improvement immediately. I hope this works for you as well!!

Eczema has definitely been linked to food. Try cleaning up diet for awhile if she is breast fed. Especially stay away from white sugar. Hope this clears up for her very soon.

As crazy as this is going to sound - try plain chapstick. My son had what seems to be exactly the same problem on his cheeks and chin. I tried all the eczema creams, ect. to no avail & it was actually my ped. who suggested the chapstick. I just rubbed it on several times a day and within a week it was completely gone. Crazy I know, but I promise it worked!

Sorry to hear about your baby's rash. My son also has had a similar rash, although it never got as severe as your daughter's. I use only the most natural detegent on everything and organic soaps to wash my son with, but he was still getting the rash. My ped and I determined that it was actually my lips that were causing it from kissing him on the cheeks so much. I had usually put Aquaphor on my lips, so when the ped suggested that as a treatment I ignored it. Petroleum based products can irritate some babies. So, here's what I did to resolve the issue. I went out and bought organic lip balms and gloss and only wear that now. This resolved the cause. To clear up the rash, I tried something instinctual. If the skin is dry, it needs some moisture. I tried putting just a dab of extra virgin olive oil on his cheeks before bed. This worked like a charm! The very next day his cheeks had cleared up. Olive oil is also great because inevitably the baby will get whatever you put on his/her cheeks in their mouth. If you can afford it, I would recommend organic extra virgin olive oil. If your baby's skin is broken (i.e., bleeding), I would not try this because it could possibly cause an infection, but try it when the rash is milder and see if it helps. Make sure your hands are freshly clean when you apply the oil. Good luck!

If you could find a pediatric dermatologist, I would recommend taking her. I had a friend whose son has excema, but they also found he had allergies. Turns out where his saliva touched his skin (sucking thumb, etc.) he broke out more.

Hi S. my granddaughters face stayed broke out when she was younger. I found that aveeno products work the best for her. They have body wash to lotions. They also have hydrocortizone cream. They have a lotion that is for exzema for babys. It has a dark blue cap on it. I hope this will help. Good luck and god bless

Hi There,
Maybe your daughter does have eczema and it just didn't go away or maybe she was bitten by a bug. In either case, a months time may not be enough for it to go away. My daughter has eczema and sometimes i have to put regular cortaid on it just to relieve the redness.
Hope this helps! Good luck to you.
-J

Dear S. I

That does sound bad. I be concerned too.
Find out if you can use a soap that is made of oats.
Ask the pharmist if they have that natural soap.
My son would break out with spots or rash.
I was told to use oats in his tub of water or the bar
made of oats. I feel it is natural. It stop the itch and help slowly.
And it is all natural.
Are you washing his cloths with too much soap?
Maybe he reacting to what you use on the cloth that you wash his face with.or his body.
I hope this gave you an Idea.
Too is there anything in the air at home that could be bothering you child.
A air conditioner or dirty air.
Try a air filter see if that could help.
Just some ideas.

You have a good day Today

Vicki W.

My daughter used to get these funky red blotchy patches of skin on her face all of the time. They looked terrible. I used to put Aveeno diaper rash cream with oatmeal on them at night and most of the time she would wake up looking much better. My daughters Nana (no relation to us) who has been caring for children for 40 yrs told me to do this.

-If I read correctly, your daughter has had the rash now for 2 months. I understand the pathways the pediatrician has tried, she hasn't been wrong with her thinking, but enough is enough.
-I agree to discontinue everything, use only Dove Soap/water, and get the baby to a dermatologist. I doubt if you need to worry about scarring, but make sure to ask the dermatologist about that, too.
-I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out to be exzema, just like the pediatrician suspected initially. The dermatologist may give your daughter a stronger hydrocortisone cream and maybe oral medicine, also.
-This may be some sort of an allergic reaction, and you may want to start a food and location (diet, where she's been, animals and plants that she's been around, etc.) diary.
-Good luck!

S.,
I know this is weird but I work in a hospital and a Dr told a girl that I work with this. She had the same thing on her neck. She had gone to dermatologist and had put all sorts of things on it and it never went away. If it did, it always came right back. This Dr told her to put Selsum Blue on it and wash with that for a while. She did and it went away and has never reappeared in 3 yrs.
Try it. She swares by it. She thought it was strange and weird too but it worked.
Hope it helps.

1 / 3