Ob-Gyn Or Family Doctor?

Hi Moms,

Is it necessary to ever go to an ob-gyn again if you are done having kids? Can't I just see my regular family doctor for my annual pap smears and for birth control prescription refills? Thanks!!

I would assume that an OB, because of their training and their "expertise" with female parts is the doctor you should see even if you do not plan on having children. I would never want to see my regular physician for female exams.

I see my regular family doc for my yearly paps. But, he himself said that if there is ever a problem, he would prefer I see a GYN.

I went to a family doctor for years. Last year I had an abnormal pap and my doctor was pretty laissez-faire about it. I was not impressed, even when I had a second pap done.

I decided that going into menopause it was probably best to see someone whose specialty is gyn.

Going to an ob-gyn is about much, much more than having kids. As you get older you will find your body changing, and a lot of that can be changes to your periods (longer, shorter, heavier, suddenly disappearing, unsual flows at unusual times, varies from person to person). You also need an annual mammogram, not just a pap smear and pills. Also, wouldn't you rather be seen by a doctor who has daily experience in: Examining women's breasts, examining women's uteruses, advising women on when/how to stop birth control as they age, answering questions about menopause, handling unusual changes to periods? Rather than seeing a doctor who might not ever get those questions, might not be familiar with the many types of birth control pills available, might do only a few pelvic exams a year, etc.? Remember, the law requires that insurance companies treat an ob-gyn as a woman's primary doctor, so insurance can't nail you on "specialist" rates. I'm done having kids but am facing down menopause in the next few years and wouldn't trade my gyn. for anything. You may be years from menopause, but having a good, ongoing relationship and history with a gyn. is a big comfort when you have concerns or just want to know the next step as you get older.

Sure -as long as your family doctor regularly offers those things as part of his/her services. If you have to ask for it and it doesn't seem like something they do regularly (and therefore keep up with the latest news about), I would stay with a gynecologist.

I had my primary care doctor do my annual exam/pap smear for 11 years because I didn't want to go back to an Ob/Gyn that I didn't like. When I experienced some problems later my pcp referred me back to an Ob/Gyn. The first thing I noticed was the exam and pap smear was MUCH less painful than when my pcp did it. The new OB/GYN said "doctoring is like anything else - the more you do, the better you get at it. Your PCP might do a pelvic/pap smear once every few weeks, I do several a day." I was sold. I think if you don't like your Ob/Gyn, get a new one but having an Ob/Gyn that you like is wonderful as you age....you might be done with an Ob, but there's a lot of other things on that Gyn side waiting for you.(we women are so lucky) I will say, though, as a money saver, your PCP can (and many will) refill birth control even if you are a little late with your check up.

Since being pregnant I always go to my OB for any female problem. Thats there field, so I am more comfortable going there with all my problems than our family doctor.

You can but I prefer to use both because of the extending knowledge of an OBGYN if you go to a family doctor they will refer you to see an OBGYN in the event of a needed procedure or surgical procedure or because there is an issue with your female reprodution system/vagina.

Of course, I know lots of woman who go to their family Dr now vs an Ob-Gyn.

Its something I would consider but I love my nurse practitioner at my OB office.

Only if you have problems. I would personally pick a gyn.

1 / 3