Nystatin for Yeast Diaper Rash Making It Worse???

My nine month old was diagnosed monday with a yeast diaper rash. She was prescribed nystatin cream to be applied four times daily. We started putting it on right away and it seems like the rash is getting worse and she cries everytime we out the cream on. Does anyone know if this 9worse before better and burning/hurting) is normal or if she might be having a reaction to it? I plan to call the pediatrician first thing in the morning but thought I'd ask for any insight you have to offer tonight. Thank you.

Thank you all for your advice. I started applying Triple Paste over the Nystatin and got great results! I also put the Triple Paste on at every diaper change in between andher rash is almost completely cleared up now! TRIPLE PASTE is WONDERFUL stuff!

Definitely stop until you talk to her doctor. When my daughter had a yeast diaper rash I could see it getting better after the second application of nystatin, so no, getting worse before it getting better is NOT normal.

My daughter had a horrible yeast diaper rash when she was a baby. We tried Nystatin and didn't work. Then we tried Fluconazole (taken by mouth) and that didn't work. FInally the last thing was tried was over the counter Lotrimin and that finally did the trick. I would definitely call the Dr about it. You might have to try something else. Good luck!

could be an allergic reaction. i would stop using it until you talk to the pedi!

My boys have gotten several yeast rashes, and we have always had great success with nystatin. This doesn't sound right to me.

If you think your daughter will be uncomfortable tonight, go ahead and call the ped right now. Not because I think it's an emergency, but because the nurse on duty might know of a home remedy or other ointment that might provide some relief until you can see the ped in the morning.

I used bag balm (square green can found in drug store, health beauty aisles) and mix in some powdered probiotic. This seemed to clear it up within a day or two. I just applied the mixture and it was great. Also, the bag balm doesn't allow the urine to penetrate and burn like the regular diaper creams that disappear with moisture, it seems.

Bag balm is lanolin, which is what is often prescribed for sore nipples during nursing. Pretty safe for baby's bum. Good luck.

my daughter had a rash that wouldn't go away. ped said to try lotrimin but that didn't work. turned out she had food allergies and the rash was eczema. the solution was to avoid those foods. since she was only on breastmilk, that meant that i couldn't eat them :( she outgrew her egg and milk allergies around 2 but still tends to have dry skin.

All I know is that nystatin is not a very effective drug. It never did clear up oral/ nipple thrush for me and my little girl. Find another drug. We finally nipped it with gentian violet. Not sure if thats a good drug for the bottom but the thought of purple buns is making me laugh!

We tried every cream on the market to try to clear my son's rash and the only type that worked and still works is homemade:
1. 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
2. 1/2 Tablespoon caster oil
3. 1/8th teaspoon of probotics
4. 2 drops Allimax Garlic drops

My son is 4 months and he had chronic rash until this...will work on any type of rash

1 / 3